anyone know about DT Walter Woods III
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1
    Pro
    Points: 36,413, Level: 58
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 237
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    2,374
    Points
    36,413
    Level
    58
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 175

    anyone know about DT Walter Woods III

    he certainly looks like he can play d line. he stays low, seems quick and agile... only a sophmore right?



  2. #2
    Rookie
    Points: 12,210, Level: 33
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 440
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    cycloneace55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Posts
    592
    Points
    12,210
    Level
    33
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: anyone know about DT Walter Woods III

    at 5'11" he has no choice but to stay low. I admit to be intrigued by him and to see if he has the ability to shed blocks against guys with much longer arms. I hope he can work his way into the rotation and provide quality minutes.



  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 185,251, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ajk4st8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    15,561
    Points
    185,251
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 255
    Given: 623

    Re: anyone know about DT Walter Woods III

    He is a stretch at 5'11. Undersized. Too slow to play LB (HS position) or DE.



  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 36,413, Level: 58
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 237
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    2,374
    Points
    36,413
    Level
    58
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 175

    Re: anyone know about DT Walter Woods III

    Quote Originally Posted by ajk4st8 View Post
    He is a stretch at 5'11. Undersized. Too slow to play LB (HS position) or DE.

    to heavy too at 297lbs! :) however wasnt Brett Curvey short? He worked out. I just like what i see in drills, but that doesnt mean much. I didnt realize he wasnt even 6f though.. hopefully hes mean.



  5. #5
    All-Star
    Points: 38,619, Level: 60
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 431
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,458
    Points
    38,619
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 127

    Re: anyone know about DT Walter Woods III

    For me, the first question about any football athlete: Is he a "player"? Height and weight are secondary concerns. The $64 question, is he a "player"?

    I recall reading that height is often a disadvantage for interior D-linemen, tall O-linemen have a difficult time getting under their pads to block them effectively. Brent Curvey, NFL Draft Profile site: 5-11 1/2, 296. WWIII, ISU roster: 6-0, 293.

    Seemed to me, watching WW's recruiting video at the time, he had a nice motor while playing linebacker. I've been a fan since then, hoping he can contribute large this fall. We'll see. . . .


    Mankind, when left to themselves, are unfit for their own government.
    -George Washington

    We, the People, are the problem. I knew it!

  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 217,564, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    17,523
    Points
    217,564
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 909
    Given: 560

    Re: anyone know about DT Walter Woods III

    One big question for him is how well he bounces back from the knee injury? Can be hard to come back from for a guy his size.



  7. #7
    Rookie
    Points: 15,938, Level: 38
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 512
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    CyBelieve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    542
    Points
    15,938
    Level
    38
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 146

    Re: anyone know about DT Walter Woods III

    Not to change the subject, but wasn't their another DT/DE recuited at the same time, I beleive Black. He seemed to have the height and size. I didn't see his name on the spring write up. Is he still on the team??


    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives…..

  8. #8
    All-Star
    Points: 18,117, Level: 41
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 833
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,336
    Points
    18,117
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 1

    Re: anyone know about DT Walter Woods III

    Quote Originally Posted by CyBelieve View Post
    Not to change the subject, but wasn't their another DT/DE recuited at the same time, I beleive Black. He seemed to have the height and size. I didn't see his name on the spring write up. Is he still on the team??

    Black has left the team. I don't know why, but it may be the same thing that happened with Alburtis -- he just graduated and moved on with a year of eligibility left.



  9. #9
    Pro
    Points: 26,308, Level: 49
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 242
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    southern iowa
    Posts
    2,713
    Points
    26,308
    Level
    49
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 226

    Re: anyone know about DT Walter Woods III

    He looks agile and quick on the practice vids that have been out. It will be good to see what he can do in a live scrimmage situation.


    Go Cyclones!!

  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 183,119, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    clonedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    7,617
    Points
    183,119
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 490
    Given: 0

    Re: anyone know about DT Walter Woods III

    With his short height and big weight, I think he could get good leverage in the interior as a run stopper? Use that leverage to penetrate the middle to mess things up and let the LB's do their thing. I think he could be effective at that. I don't know about passing situations though? In passing situations I think I'd rather have McDonough's height and arm length in there.



  11. #11
    Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Points: 608,001, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Mr Janny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    22,979
    Points
    608,001
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,818
    Given: 171

    Re: anyone know about DT Walter Woods III

    Quote Originally Posted by CyValley View Post
    For me, the first question about any football athlete: Is he a "player"? Height and weight are secondary concerns. The $64 question, is he a "player"?

    I recall reading that height is often a disadvantage for interior D-linemen, tall O-linemen have a difficult time getting under their pads to block them effectively. Brent Curvey, NFL Draft Profile site: 5-11 1/2, 296. WWIII, ISU roster: 6-0, 293.

    Seemed to me, watching WW's recruiting video at the time, he had a nice motor while playing linebacker. I've been a fan since then, hoping he can contribute large this fall. We'll see. . . .

    Curvey may have been listed at 5-11 or 6 foot, but he was shorter than that. Sat next to him on a flight out of Des Moines a couple years ago. I'm 5'11 on a good day, and I had at least an inch on him, if not more. His listed weight sounds legit, though. He had super wide shoulders and was built like a bull. We did not fight over the armrest. I just gave it to him. Incredibly nice guy.


    "What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

    "Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

    "Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 42,978, Level: 64
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,272
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Borger, TX
    Posts
    2,712
    Points
    42,978
    Level
    64
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58
    Given: 4

    Re: anyone know about DT Walter Woods III

    Watching the NFL network last night. They were bagging on the bench press because it favors short armed, wide shouldered kids. They said they win the bench press battle, but will lose all the battles in the trenches to the longer armed kids. This is contrary to what people are putting on this board. I have seen it in action at the HS level though. Our hardest defensive lineman to block was one of the weakest bench pressers on the team, but he was 6-4 and used his arms to keep you away from the body. I was twice as strong as he was, but his length made him almost impossible to get into.



  13. #13
    Pro
    Points: 72,425, Level: 83
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 725
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    SvrWxCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    2,851
    Points
    72,425
    Level
    83
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: anyone know about DT Walter Woods III

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Janny View Post
    Curvey may have been listed at 5-11 or 6 foot, but he was shorter than that. Sat next to him on a flight out of Des Moines a couple years ago. I'm 5'11 on a good day, and I had at least an inch on him, if not more.
    The NFL scouts would not lie on his height, I would put down money that he is actually 5 foot and 11 1/2 inches give or take less than a 1/2 inch depending upon the time of day...



  14. #14
    Legend
    Points: 164,648, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Here nor there
    Posts
    12,394
    Points
    164,648
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 716
    Given: 1,122

    Re: anyone know about DT Walter Woods III

    Quote Originally Posted by brett108 View Post
    Watching the NFL network last night. They were bagging on the bench press because it favors short armed, wide shouldered kids. They said they win the bench press battle, but will lose all the battles in the trenches to the longer armed kids. This is contrary to what people are putting on this board. I have seen it in action at the HS level though. Our hardest defensive lineman to block was one of the weakest bench pressers on the team, but he was 6-4 and used his arms to keep you away from the body. I was twice as strong as he was, but his length made him almost impossible to get into.
    Is Woods playing at the NFL level?
    Having long arms vs short arms is not sufficient in being a superior DT, nor is it a requisite. There are plenty anecdotal evidence contrary to your story where short (armed), strong, quick guys like Woods that are hard to block in college and high school.



  15. #15
    Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Points: 608,001, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Mr Janny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    22,979
    Points
    608,001
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,818
    Given: 171

    Re: anyone know about DT Walter Woods III

    Quote Originally Posted by SvrWxCy View Post
    The NFL scouts would not lie on his height, I would put down money that he is actually 5 foot and 11 1/2 inches give or take less than a 1/2 inch depending upon the time of day...
    well, I can tell you that I stood right next to him and I was at least an inch taller than him, and I am 5'10 3/4 as of 3 months ago when I had a physical.


    "What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

    "Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

    "Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.tv
  • HOOPS: Iowa State vs. Mississippi Valley State
  • December 31, 2014
  • 06:00 PM