Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Wireless A/V for home stereo

Hello CF,

Looking to run iTunes and video off of my computer via wireless to my home stereo that is in another part of my home. Any testimonials on good vs bad systems or do's vs don'ts.

Also, looking to buy wireless speakers to place on the patio...any thoughts on brands. Just looking for quality background sound.

Finally, it would be cool to run all with a remote that controls it from any room or outside.

Appreciate your insight,

Z

The grass always looks greener, on the other side of the fence, but the dog over there might be meaner, on the other side of the fence… Stay in your own yard, play in your own yard!

All-Star
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 95
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31

Re: Wireless A/V for home stereo

Go to Audiocirl.com, Audiogon.com, or Audio Asylum. There is a lot of savvy audiophiles on those sites that can give you great advise. Most have a computer audio forum. I run everything wireless from my computer or Iphone via remote application. I have a usb DAC that runs into the stereo system. It's great. Not getting up and changing disk or anything. Plus, it sounds good too. Would advise that is you are going to play music on a two channel stereo or surround sound to convert you music files to an uncompressed format like Apple lossless. MP3s are to compressed and don't sound so good a a stereo system.

Addict
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,455
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by zach View Post
    Hello CF,

Looking to run iTunes and video off of my computer via wireless to my home stereo that is in another part of my home. Any testimonials on good vs bad systems or do's vs don'ts.

Also, looking to buy wireless speakers to place on the patio...any thoughts on brands. Just looking for quality background sound.

Finally, it would be cool to run all with a remote that controls it from any room or outside.

Appreciate your insight,

Z
    I use my PS3 to get movies, photo's, songs to my TV

I have used Panasonic wireless rear channel speakers and they didn't work that great. Bought those 3 years ago though so newer technology may have made them better.

As for the remote I am not sure what you could about that. I think it will depend on the amount of area you need to cover. A bluetooth remote may work if it would be compatible with current devices, and the distance isn't to large.

Pro
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,222
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Given: 164

Quote Originally Posted by zach View Post
    Hello CF,

Appreciate your insight,

Z
    Do you have any video game consoles? I use a product called MediaLink that I installed on my MacBook to stream my music, photos and video files to my PS3 and XBox 360. It costs $20 for the software for each system ($20 for PS3 and $20 for XBox) and does a pretty good job - although protected files purchased through iTunes do not stream unless you purchase/upgrade them through iTunes-plus.

Nullriver Software : Products : MediaLink

As for the speakers, be prepared to spend upwards of $150 for outdoor, wireless speakers that are decent quality. Keep in mind the speakers will have to be treated to handle outdoor elements such as extreme heat/cold and a fair amount of precipitation while maintaining a decent sound quality. Wireless speakers are nice, but outdoor-rated wired speakers rate better in terms of performance, as they don't suffer from interference as much as wireless speakers.

There are some great products for remote controls, but you need to know what sources you are control and what room will be the "master" control room. Draw a diagram for how you want your music delivered for your multi-room audio - will the music source be the computer in the Den/Office, or will it be the iPod attached to the receiver in the Living Room, or will it be from a laptop in the Kitchen, etc. The difference of pricing for remote control programming jumps dramatically from controlling sources to selecting a specific song out of a specific album.

Rookie
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 627
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I just picked up an Apple TV for $99. I know you can wirelessly stream music from iTunes to that. Haven't really used it that much to give an opinion though.

Rookie
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 508
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 3

802.11n is a must.

I like the ASRock Core 100HT mini computer. It doesn't come with an OS, so you have to load that, and then use a media interface (like media center). Its small, relatively quiet, and it allows you to view places like ESPN3, HULU, etc.

I see Boxee also has their own product now. Not sure if that does internet video streaming like a small pc.

I have the popcorn hour device. They sell a wireless card for it, but I've never used it. I'm not very impressed with the popcorn hour user interface (even the newest model). Just too clunky. And no ability to internet browse and watch flash video.