Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 366
    Given: 387

Roosevelt Basketball

I don't want to start a firestorm here, but today's Register article really tells me nothing. What is alleged to have happened? I think the AD's letter to parents, which was leaked to the Register, was really unprofessional.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/art...-investigation

Last edited by ruxCYtable; 03-31-2011 at 10:44 AM.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 58
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 43

Re: Roosevelt Basketball

I'd like to know as well. TRHS alum, class of 84 here

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 134
    Given: 239

Quote Originally Posted by ruxCYtable View Post
    I don't want to start a firestorm here, but today's Register article really tells me nothing. What is alleged to have happened? I think the AD's letter to parents, which was leaked to the Register, was really unprofessional.

Boys' basketball: Parents' complaints lead to Roosevelt investigation | The Des Moines Register | DesMoinesRegister.com
    Wow - I agree with you about that "letter." Totally out of line, in the way it was written.

Pro
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 380
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 13

Quote Originally Posted by ruxCYtable View Post

Boys' basketball: Parents' complaints lead to Roosevelt investigation | The Des Moines Register | DesMoinesRegister.com
    This is what I've gotten from a couple people fairly in the know about the situation. Roosevelt's coach has a pretty mild demeanor. Nixon's father was the PG on Lincoln's 75 Championship team. He's pretty fiery and to say has an inflated opinion of his son's abilities would be an understatement. This combo leads some to wonder who was running the show. I was also told some of the accusations were flat out lies.

Let Me Mayor Coach!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 872
    Given: 602

Sounds like a lack of strong leadership at the helm. The coach needs to kick it up a notch. Kick some butts in practice. Stress them more.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Pro
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 824
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 5

Unfortunately, these transfer issues are something that the city schools in Des Moines have to struggle with constantly. I graduated from East and plenty of my friends and teammates transferred to other city schools or even out of the Des Moines district altogether, just as Jok did. We did, however, have a number of kids transfer to East.

I fully believe that part of the problem lies with the school district's leniency on this type of thing and let's face it, surrounding schools more than likely offer a better education and more firm commitment to their athletic success.

Obviously there are plenty of individuals like myself who graduated from a city school and went on to earn a college degree, but the network of support and success is too strong at surrounding schools like Valley, Dowling, SEP, Urbandale, Johnston & Ankeny to ignore. It's appealing both to the kid and the parents and it truly is unfortunate that some of the best athletes and students that this state produces, who live within the Des Moines district decide to look at surrounding districts.

I think a fantastic example of what can be done when city schools actually retain their kids is the East girls basketball team. They dominated class 4A this year and have four girls that have signed D1 offers. Given the school size and amount of talent at each of the five city schools, that type of result should be more common than it is, but the atmosphere to cultivate success has to be instilled in the youth far before they ever reach high school, and that tragically is not happening in the Des Moines district.

"Karl Malone love making up jokes. Karl Malone always say, 'laughter is the best Mexican.' "

-Jimmy Kimmel impersonating Karl Malone

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,012
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 213
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Cyforce View Post
    This is what I've gotten from a couple people fairly in the know about the situation. Roosevelt's coach has a pretty mild demeanor. Nixon's father was the PG on Lincoln's 75 Championship team. He's pretty fiery and to say has an inflated opinion of his son's abilities would be an understatement. This combo leads some to wonder who was running the show. I was also told some of the accusations were flat out lies.
    No way, that never happens

Seriously why can't parents just let their kids play sports and not be so damn interfering???

ABC - Always Be Closing