Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Preterm labor

So my wife is at 35 weeks and appears to be going into preterm labor. The doc has put her on bed rest (almost admitted her to the hospital) in order to slow the process.

We know that after 36 weeks the local hospital no longer sends women in labor to Sacred Heart and at 37 it is considered full term. We expect her to be on bed rest a week or two and then allowed off if she hasn't had him already, but we honestly don't know.

Anyone else experience this?

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: Preterm labor

If your baby starts coming out a bit too early, just wash your hands well and push him or her (or them) back in... not that complicated...

Pro
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 177
    Given: 37

Quote Originally Posted by jaretac View Post
    So my wife is at 35 weeks and appears to be going into preterm labor. The doc has put her on bed rest (almost admitted her to the hospital) in order to slow the process.

We know that after 36 weeks the local hospital no longer sends women in labor to Sacred Heart and at 37 it is considered full term. We expect her to be on bed rest a week or two and then allowed off if she hasn't had him already, but we honestly don't know.

My sister just went through this three weeks ago. She was having serious contractions at 35 weeks. They got things slowed down and sent her home. She ended up having more and more contractions and finally did some testing to make sure things were OK with the baby and then let her go ahead and haver her. My new niece is perfectly healthy and things turned out great.

My cousin had a baby at basically 5 months. He was tiny and lots of nervous nights in the hospital. It was a pretty rough time for them but he is doing great now after spending the first couple of months of his life in an incubator free of any germs hooked up to machines to breathe for him etc. He was literally the size of a large GI joe when he was born but he pulled through the whole thing and now is enjoying his little sister.

Basically if you are at 35 weeks with today's medicine you should be OK barring any unseen problems.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 526
    Given: 367

Quote Originally Posted by FarminCy View Post
    My sister just went through this three weeks ago. She was having serious contractions at 35 weeks. They got things slowed down and sent her home. She ended up having more and more contractions and finally did some testing to make sure things were OK with the baby and then let her go ahead and haver her. My new niece is perfectly healthy and things turned out great.

My cousin had a baby at basically 5 months. He was tiny and lots of nervous nights in the hospital. It was a pretty rough time for them but he is doing great now after spending the first couple of months of his life in an incubator free of any germs hooked up to machines to breathe for him etc. He was literally the size of a large GI joe when he was born but he pulled through the whole thing and now is enjoying his little sister.

Basically if you are at 35 weeks with today's medicine you should be OK barring any unseen problems.
    Well, that's the thing - due to the way doctors count the weeks of a pregnancy (something along the lines of week 0 being considered the week of the first missed period, or something like that), a baby that is 35 weeks old can actually be 38 or 39 weeks old, which is a gigantic difference.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 169
    Given: 86

This. At 35 weeks most things are good to go with your little one. As long as labor doesn't progress your wife could stay on bed rest to her due date. Every day or week is another toward a full-term baby.

My nephew is the little rascal FarminCy was talking about (100 days in the NICU) besides his glasses you would never know and the new sister was ~4 weeks early too. Spent a couple days in the NICU and then went home. Depending on the hospital's policy you may spend a couple days there too just to make sure everything checks out.

All-Star
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 566
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

My son was 3 weeks early and 8 lbs. She was having contractions and was ready to go into labor a couple weeks before that. He was fine with no complications.

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Well, that's the thing - due to the way doctors count the weeks of a pregnancy (something along the lines of week 0 being considered the week of the first missed period, or something like that), a baby that is 35 weeks old can actually be 38 or 39 weeks old, which is a gigantic difference.
    It's usually from the mother's last menstrual period, or approximately 2 weeks before date of conception.

EDIT:
    Also, as was mentioned earlier, a couple weeks before 37 weeks isn't going to make a HUGE difference. Obviously, you want your kid to finish whatever maturation his or her systems need to undergo before he or she pops out into the cold, bright world, but usually a few weeks isn't going to do too much.

Last edited by edr247; 03-30-2011 at 04:51 PM.

Starter
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 650
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 3

Good luck to you and your wife. At 35 weeks things are mostly developed. If she can hold on until 36 that awesome. At 36 lots of babies come home when the mother does.

My boy was born at 31week and 4days. He came out breathing on his own and screaming. He spent 1 month in the NICU and came home on Oxygen. He is 9 weeks old today and so far doing alright. He got of his O2 a week after coming home.

My advice is to ask lots of questions so you know whats going on and do whats best for both your wife and child. If you end up in the NICU its going to be tough but you will learn a lot. Both about preemies and take care of your little one.

Starter
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 620
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 19

Son was born 31 weeks 9 years ago.

We named him Noah, and it just so happens on the 40th day after his birth he
    got out of the hospital.

Your wife and baby will be fine. They may give her steroids to develop the babies lungs a little faster. If the little tyke can breath on his own when he comes out that is all that matters.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 30

My wife started that at week 22, so we have lots of experience with this. If you are at 35 weeks, your babies lungs are fully developed and ready, he will just be a little small. Heck my twins were born 3 weeks ago in your world (32 weeks).

Bed rest sucks for her, she wants to nest right now, so get her a laptop, a remote and stock the fridge with stuff she likes. And tell her not to worry, no use sitting there having her stress out.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 718
    Given: 2,848

After a loss due to PTL, with our second daughter, I was put on bedrest at 13.5 weeks, and started contractions at 16 weeks. Despite two incredibly rough trimesters, our daughter (with the help of P17 shots, bedrest, and wonderful OB care, we made it to 39.5 weeks.

I can't find the source offhand, but you actionally have a better viability rate by just a hair at 35 - 36 weeks than someone at 39 weeks does, just due to things like cord accidents and meconium in the waters. Here's the best thing I can find:
    Chances for Survival

Best of luck!

Last edited by Angie; 03-30-2011 at 08:19 PM.
    M 7/09

Pro
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 902
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 18

my wife had false labor a few times... contractions for days... just took it easy. we waited as long as we could wait. had lunch at 12 on the day of delivery and started pushing around 2 pm! otherwise you will be in the hospital for ever! when she starts having contractions every 5 minutes for about 3-5 hours straight and she cant stand or talk during them.. its time to go most likely.

All-Star
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 12

My son was born at 31 weeks due to PTL. The process started at 30 weeks and my wife was only on bed rest for a week. Obviously it failed to accomplish its ultimate goal, but at 30 weeks they still give steriods for the lung, tissue and brain development. One week was a major milestone for us.

Your child likely won't even need the steriods. But if steroids are used. they do nearly all of their work in 2 days and are completely done after 1 week. Those were 2 of the 3 goals that we had, going in.

Obviously in your situation the longer the better, but I don't even think that you will have major milestones that you'll be aiming for other than full term.

Good luck and if I may, just remember amid the stress to enjoy every min. I'll be praying that the stress will be nothing. From experience, you can't do much about it anyway, so don't forget to take in the good parts. That is if YOU can stay upright. LOL

A

All-Star
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 12

Oh and if you do need to have your baby stay in the NICU by all means visit as much as you enjoy, but don't be afraid to take advantage of the fact that you basically have the best babysitter your ins. company's money can buy.

Not going to have that kind of peace of mind for about 18 years, so before baby comes home, Take advantage and take a date night.

Second learn all you can from the expert care givers. Looking back as first time parents, the NICU was almost a blessing. Not that I would wish that on any child, but We had Hands on, one on one (or 3) teaching. Lots of it we knew, but lots of tricks were very helpful. Just don't stop the nurse during the stuff you do know, mouth shut and ears open.

If we didn't say anything the nurse would just keep talking and thats where most of our best tricks came from.