Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Prospect
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Overall Talent Level

Question for those more knowledgeable than myself: Do you feel that the overall roster talent level has improved in recent years - say beginning with the Chizik years up to the present? Worse? (!) Or about the same?

Pro
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,428
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 82

Re: Overall Talent Level

Yes there is more talent. It may partially be a by-product of Rhoads really building up the roster and improving depth across the board. Rhoads just getting the team back to semi-even playing field has made a huge difference.

Other than QB, the glaring issue this year is the schedule. I think back in 07, the bigger issue was talent across the board, and that team appeared to face a far easier schedule in terms of out of conference play.

While the outside may not see the strides, I think its pretty easy to see ISU in a much better place than 07.

http://www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com/index.html
    No one can match our dedication and passion for Nintendo's classic sports titles...Tecmo Bowl & R.B.I. Baseball. In-depth strategy guides, player attributes, team rankings, along with incredibly detailed recaps of our season play. We don't reminisce, we just keep playing!

Addict
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 491
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 374
    Given: 68

I think there is a definite but slight increase in talent as compared to Dan's last couple years. Chiz did bring in a few good players and Paul has shored us up even more with some hidden gems.

Hopefully he can do that to an even greater extent and continue to develop the guys that we have, because we still have a ways to go before being able to say we have average Big 12 talent.

The last 2 years, I believe we were overachieving on defense, but you can't count on that to improve us beyond where we're at.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 195
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 62

I don't think the talent level is that much greater. However absolutely don't believe we are overachieving either. We just have better coaches. Game day decision making and preparation are so much better than what we've seen in the past.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 883
    Given: 633

I think the talent is better - I think this team would probably beat the 2000 team and would probably smack around the 2001 and 2002 teams. The major problem is the talent level as a whole is better in the Big 12 than it was a decade ago - Missouri, Oklahoma St, Texas Tech, and Baylor are all playing at higher levels than they did a decade ago. I think our talent level is better, we're just fighting an increasingly more difficult conference. Oh - and going through 3 coaches in 5 years certainly doesn't help, either...

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Legend
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 369
    Given: 1,447

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    The major problem is the talent level as a whole is better in the Big 12 than it was a decade ago
    Completely agree, same with basketball with KSU, aTm and Baylor.

While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

Starter
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 317
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 19

I think it might be too early to tell if the talent level has improved, IMO. I think we are recruiting more athletic people, but that doesn't always equal more talent.....if that makes sense. I think we need a couple more years to really be able to tell.

I think the coaches are definitely getting a little more out of the talent we do have.

Pro
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 4

I think one of the biggest things is the talent level now fits what we are trying to accomplish on the field. I think McCarney, and Chizik, brought in good players that couldn't comntribute to what the team was trying to accomplish. Players that fit your scheme are more important than kids with a few more stars who are lost in your system.

All-Star
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    I think the talent is better - I think this team would probably beat the 2000 team and would probably smack around the 2001 and 2002 teams. The major problem is the talent level as a whole is better in the Big 12 than it was a decade ago - Missouri, Oklahoma St, Texas Tech, and Baylor are all playing at higher levels than they did a decade ago. I think our talent level is better, we're just fighting an increasingly more difficult conference. Oh - and going through 3 coaches in 5 years certainly doesn't help, either...
    I agree about the talent level getting better, not just at Iowa State, but in the Big 12 as a whole. Not that stars guarantee wins, but when I get excited about bringing on a few 3-star recruits, I go over to other Big 12 team sites and notice they've signed many more -- plus some 4-star and, in some cases, 5-star recruits.

Even though he burned us, it would've been interesting to see what Chizik could've done here had he stayed. We all know he can recruit -- and you can't win a national title without some ability to coach.

Pro
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,494
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

We are deeper for sure, but I don't think our best players now are that much better than our best players back in the McCarney years. With McCarney we would have a good starter and then have a walkon as his backup. 4 year starters were pretty common. With Rhoads we are starting to build a team with depth, and it will be rare for an underclassman to start. Building depth is the first part, now starting to get NFL players at every level is the next step.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 606
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

I think the talent level has gone up every year since atleast 2005. Especially the last 3 years. I would rank our talent level, in the Big XII (10 teams), at 8th. Just above K-State and Kansas. But the gap between us and Tech, OSU, Mizzou, A&M and Baylor (Briles has brought in big time talent) is much, much smaller. If not, even.

D-line is probably the largest gap in talent, but we're getting better.

Legend
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 710
    Given: 1,237

Quote Originally Posted by FD Cyclone View Post
    Yes there is more talent. It may partially be a by-product of Rhoads really building up the roster and improving depth across the board. Rhoads just getting the team back to semi-even playing field has made a huge difference.

Other than QB, the glaring issue this year is the schedule. I think back in 07, the bigger issue was talent across the board, and that team appeared to face a far easier schedule in terms of out of conference play.

While the outside may not see the strides, I think its pretty easy to see ISU in a much better place than 07.
    Most of the high-end talent on this team is from Chizik. Maybe that is just because his recruits are juniors and seniors now, but LJ, Benton, Osemele, Ruempolhamer, Burris -- all Chizik recruits.

Pro
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,494
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Most of the high-end talent on this team is from Chizik. Maybe that is just because his recruits are juniors and seniors now, but LJ, Benton, Osemele, Ruempolhamer, Burris -- all Chizik recruits.
    He got some very nice players, but Rhoads also brought in Jake Knott, David Sims, Shontrelle, and Reynolds.

Legend
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 369
    Given: 1,447

Quote Originally Posted by ISUonthemove View Post
    I think the talent level has gone up every year since atleast 2005. Especially the last 3 years. I would rank our talent level, in the Big XII (10 teams), at 8th. Just above K-State and Kansas. But the gap between us and Tech, OSU, Mizzou, A&M and Baylor (Briles has brought in big time talent) is much, much smaller. If not, even.

D-line is probably the largest gap in talent, but we're getting better.

Uhh, sorry we arent even remotely on the same planet talent wise as Oklahoma State and to a lessor extent aTm.

While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

Addict
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 799
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 142
    Given: 59

Quote Originally Posted by Yes13 View Post
    We are deeper for sure, but I don't think our best players now are that much better than our best players back in the McCarney years. With McCarney we would have a good starter and then have a walkon as his backup. 4 year starters were pretty common. With Rhoads we are starting to build a team with depth, and it will be rare for an underclassman to start. Building depth is the first part, now starting to get NFL players at every level is the next step.
    This. Depth is WAY better now than under Mac. I remember when Mac signed Leaders and Curvey. Those two were basically four year starters who played every down of every game. Berryman would have been a four year starter too if he hadn't gotten in trouble. And there was no one behind those guys. Conversely, CPR brings in a JUCO DL this year not to start, but to be the 4th DL in a rotation and possibly compete to start in 2012. I think that CPR has better depth at RB, OL, DL, DB than Mac or Chizik usually had.

My one complaint is at WR and TE. IMO Mac had some nice WRs with the Danielson/Whitver/Young/Montgomery group and then the Blythe/Davis/Flynn/Sumrall/Hamilton group. They've went downhill since then. Neither Chizik nor Rhoads has been able to recruit a WR that would challenge for a spot in either one of those groups. At TE, CPR started with Catlett/Franklin/Hammerschmidt. Now it's just Hammerscmidt. There hasn't been a good plan really to replace the other two or fill the pipeline other than the JUCO Brun and hoping Pierce Richardson develops.

Overall, I think that the starting talent is fairly similar, maybe slightly better, under CPR compared to Mac and Chiz, but the depth is better for the most part. Out of the three staffs, I'd rate them like this:

Recruiting
    1.Chiz
    2.CPR
    3.Mac

Game day coaching
    1.CPR
    2.Mac
    3.Chiz

Grades/Legal issues
    1.CPR
    2.Chiz
    3.Mac

S&C
    1.CPR
    2.Chiz
    3.Mac

Player retention
    1.CPR
    2.Chiz
    3.Mac

Depth
    1.CPR
    2.Chiz
    3.Mac

Motivation
    1.Mac
    2.CPR
    3.Chiz

Planning/strategy
    1.CPR
    2.Chiz
    3.Mac

Last edited by Frak; 03-29-2011 at 10:58 AM.