Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Difference between men & women basketball never so glaring

In the mens Elite 8 was:

Of that #3, 4, 8, 11 made it to the final four.

In the womens Elite 8 are:

I wish more could be done to elevate the mid-majors like ISU to compete with the top tier teams. Oh, of those #1's, Tennessee, Uconn and Stanford are included. Those teams have won 18 of the 29 National titles.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 165
    Given: 669

Re: Difference between men & women basketball never so glaring

Point. The elite teams in WBB just rake off the top talent, and everyone else brings up the rear.

Paul Rhoads' players never quit.
    (They just disappear offseason)

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 202
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 10

Quote Originally Posted by jaretac View Post
    In the mens Elite 8 was:

I wish more could be done to elevate the mid-majors like ISU to compete with the top tier teams. Oh, of those #1's, Tennessee, Uconn and Stanford are included. Those teams have won 18 of the 29 National titles.
    And no offense intended here, but this is surprising? Such is the way of the women's sport for now. Yes, Georgetown did scare UConn.. and the same sortof goes with Green Bay vs. Baylor. But there is a sizeable disparity between the top 10 or so programs and the rest of the field.

Addict
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 303
    Given: 286

In the mens Elite 8 was:

There just doesn't seem to be as much talent to choose from in women's basketball. And the best coaches are at the best schools (in most cases). There's not a lot that can be done about that, unfortunately. The top players just don't go play for Iowa, ISU, etc. when Geno or Pat Summitt come calling.

But I think it may level off eventually. Right now, I mean Pat Summitt has been at Tennessee forever it seems. Geno has been at UCONN since '85. Stringer is at a school that's tougher to win at, IMO. But when she was at Iowa, she was able to bring in elite talent every year, too. And she's been in the game for a long time as well.

Once the elite coaches who were there at the beginning of major women's college athletics start fading out, the playing field may level off. The sport just isn't old enough yet, IMO.

“Hawks tell us we have no future, and we let you know what we think of Hawk fans, which is a lower opinion all the time.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

“With the exception of tm3308. He is a good contributor on this site. It is almost to the point that I question if he is actually a hawk fan. ” -- Cyclonestate78 7/25/2011

“He broke the mold. If he wrote the OP, I would have read the whole thing.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

Pro
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 596
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51
    Given: 28

isu isn't a mid-major..

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by istater7 View Post
    isu isn't a mid-major..
    Not in title, but for all intents and purposes they are, just like Iowa and 90% of the rest of the teams out there. The talent gap is just enormous right now.

“Hawks tell us we have no future, and we let you know what we think of Hawk fans, which is a lower opinion all the time.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

“With the exception of tm3308. He is a good contributor on this site. It is almost to the point that I question if he is actually a hawk fan. ” -- Cyclonestate78 7/25/2011

“He broke the mold. If he wrote the OP, I would have read the whole thing.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

Speechless
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 555
    Given: 357

Looks like they could just run an Elite 8 tournament for the gals.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Addict
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 1,199
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 56

I believe there are differences in the # of scholarships basketball can give out between mens and womens if I remember right because of Title 9.

If you think about it that's a pretty big deal. If even just a few more elite talents are at the elite schools, that's a much bigger drop off by the time the second tier schools gets their next pick of talent.

The other reason is that you don't see WBB players leave early to go to the WNBA like the men's side. This allows for more upsets because there are younger more talented players for elite teams going up against experienced players with slightly less talent for second tier teams. In many cases in a tournament situation experience wins. In WBB you have experienced AND more talented players at the elite programs so that's a tough combo to beat.

“I’m just glad I have Homan as my bodyguard,” Eustachy joked. “If I ever make it real big and get to drive a limo everyday, he’ll be driving it. I thought he came off the bench like somebody was stealing his cow or something.”

http://blogs.dmjuice.com/?cat=43

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by tigershoops31 View Post
    I believe there are differences in the # of scholarships basketball can give out between mens and womens if I remember right because of Title 9.

If you think about it that's a pretty big deal. If even just a few more elite talents are at the elite schools, that's a much bigger drop off by the time the second tier schools gets their next pick of talent.

The other reason is that you don't see WBB players leave early to go to the WNBA like the men's side. This allows for more upsets because there are younger more talented players for elite teams going up against experienced players with slightly less talent for second tier teams. In many cases in a tournament situation experience wins. In WBB you have experienced AND more talented players at the elite programs so that's a tough combo to beat.
    This. That's precisely why Kentucky did not reach the Final Four last year. They were by far the most talented team in the country, but like 4/5 of their starting lineup were freshman. That just isn't going to fly come March.

Legend
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by tm3308 View Post
    There just doesn't seem to be as much talent to choose from in women's basketball. And the best coaches are at the best schools (in most cases). There's not a lot that can be done about that, unfortunately. The top players just don't go play for Iowa, ISU, etc. when Geno or Pat Summitt come calling.

But I think it may level off eventually. Right now, I mean Pat Summitt has been at Tennessee forever it seems. Geno has been at UCONN since '85. Stringer is at a school that's tougher to win at, IMO. But when she was at Iowa, she was able to bring in elite talent every year, too. And she's been in the game for a long time as well.

Once the elite coaches who were there at the beginning of major women's college athletics start fading out, the playing field may level off. The sport just isn't old enough yet, IMO.
    I don't think the difference in amount of elite talent is the explanation. I believe a better explanation is that in men's the elite talent leaves quickly to go to the NBA. Thus, seniors that aren't elite talent can match up better with freshmen that are elite talent because of the senior's experience. In women's, the elite talents stays four years, and therefore the non-elite talent seniors are matching up against elite talent seniors, and the experience factor is negated.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. ~ George Carlin

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life:
    The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves Orcs. ~ John Rogers

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CloneAggie View Post
    I don't think the difference in amount of elite talent is the explanation. I believe a better explanation is that in men's the elite talent leaves quickly to go to the NBA. Thus, seniors that aren't elite talent can match up better with freshmen that are elite talent because of the senior's experience. In women's, the elite talents stays four years, and therefore the non-elite talent seniors are matching up against elite talent seniors, and the experience factor is negated.
    That's true as well. But I do think things will level off some once Summitt, Geno, etc. are out of the game. I mean coaches like that are practically the founding "fathers" of women's college basketball.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,454
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36

Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post
    Point. The elite teams in WBB just rake off the top talent, and everyone else brings up the rear.
    It not just that. In Men's basketball, the elite teams rake off the top talent as well. However, often that talent only lasts a year or 2, so teams that have lesser talent but stick around for 4 years can compete.

Pro
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 5

The leader in ESPNs challenge for the ladies has missed a grand total of 2 games. They had 15 of the sweet 16 and are perfect since.

Nothing to see here mods. Keep moving.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by drmwevr08 View Post
    The leader in ESPNs challenge for the ladies has missed a grand total of 2 games. They had 15 of the sweet 16 and are perfect since.
    I've missed a total of 8 games so far, but most of them didn't hurt me a lot. I've gotta hope for A&M to upset Baylor to have any chance of winning, though.

Addict
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 434
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 626
    Given: 446

In the mens Elite 8 was:

This is part of the reason why womens basketball is so boring. There never seem like there are hardly even small upsets or surprises