Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Who won last year's CBI tourny and why did Iowa State not participate this year?

Virgina Commonwealth won the 2010 CBI tournament.
    Good for them. KU is my most hated basketball elitist program.

Why did we not participate this year? ISU was perfectly situated for a few more games in one of the two consolation-type tourny's after the Big One and the NIT. This was the ONLY year we could have done this.

Final of CBI this year, by the way, is Creighton vs Oregon. We could have done that.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 302
    Given: 280

Re: Who won last year's CBI tourny and why did Iowa State not participate this year?

I'm guessing everyone was ready to look to next year. Plus the Italy trip will be their chance to get some extra games and gel as a team.

Addict
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 286
    Given: 132

Re: Who won last year's CBI tourny and why did Iowa State not participate this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Shinyhappyclone View Post
    Virgina Commonwealth won the 2010 CBI tournament.
    Good for them. KU is my most hated basketball elitist program.

Why did we not participate this year? ISU was perfectly situated for a few more games in one of the two consolation-type tourny's after the Big One and the NIT. This was the ONLY year we could have done this.

Final of CBI this year, by the way, is Creighton vs Oregon. We could have done that.
    WELL THATS JUST GREAT! First Chizek, then Cael, NOW MCDERMOTT!!!!!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,544
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8

Jake Anderson was hurt, Scotty was still hurt...not enough bodies to be competitive.

Rookie
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 557
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

From what I understand, the Big 12 strongly discourages its teams from participating in the CBI. No one from the conference has been involved in the four years it's been up and running. In fact, that seems to be becoming the default position for the major conferences. The last two years, only one school from a power conference has played (Oregon State last year and Oregon this year).

Addict
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 1,221
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 220
    Given: 205

Because the CBI is a waste of time and there is no benifit that comes out of it.

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by awd4cy View Post
    Because the CBI is a waste of time and there is no benifit that comes out of it.
    Ignoring the fact that it is still post-season play where your team(Railey, Godfrey, Ejim) can gain valuable playing experience....and also ignoring the fact that the winner of last year's CBI just magically is sitting in the final four this year.

I'd say there are certainly advantages to it. They may not be many, but they certainly exist. Saying those advantages don't exist pretty much defeats the entire reason that we all quote for post-season play in football. The extra practice time and the other assets are invaluable.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 950
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 21

Fred made it sound as though the team had nothing left in the tank overall and injuries played a big factor

Iowa State: Anyone who's a true college basketball fan needs to see a game at Hilton Coliseum. Nice is in the DNA of Iowans and the fans here are particularly gracious -- even when the home team loses but gives a great effort, they are appreciative.

ESPN.com picked Hilton Coliseum as the "Hot Arena" in the Big 12...coaches in the league noted that, "regardless of talent, the Cyclones have a home court like no other."

Addict
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 1,221
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 220
    Given: 205

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyDgls3 View Post
    Ignoring the fact that it is still post-season play where your team(Railey, Godfrey, Ejim) can gain valuable playing experience....and also ignoring the fact that the winner of last year's CBI just magically is sitting in the final four this year.

I'd say there are certainly advantages to it. They may not be many, but they certainly exist. Saying those advantages don't exist pretty much defeats the entire reason that we all quote for post-season play in football. The extra practice time and the other assets are invaluable.
    I really can't see how a couple of weeks of extra practice is really going to make that much of a difference. Also as far as this team, Railey wouldn't be getting any extra playing experience because he probably wouldnt even hardly play. That just leaves Godfrey, Ejim, and Palo playing a couple extra games.

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 15

Sign me up.... If we win CBI then it = Final 4. Wow. Do you automatically qualify? Our do you actually have to win games? Open your eyes people.

Our next year starters for the most part are sitting on the bench and can't play. JA is hurt. JVB is hurt. SC is hurt. Don't see us making it too far. The team is traveling over seas, I think that will help us out enough.

Addict
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

I believe teams lose money.

Pro
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,167
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 261

Ketelmeister, cmoore_23, and bellzisu are correct. On the Sunday Morning Sports Machine that aired on KXNO Selection Sunday morning, BJ interviewed CFH, and asked if ISU would accept an invitation to a tournament (implication being CBI or CollegeInsider.com).

CFH said I would doubt it, citing (at that time): Jake could barely walk from the injury suffered at the Big XII tournament, JVB's ankle, Scotty's elbow, and our limited depth.

Addict
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 128
    Given: 554

We would lose money...In the long run wouldn't have done much for our program.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 260
    Given: 111

Quote Originally Posted by norseclone View Post
    From what I understand, the Big 12 strongly discourages its teams from participating in the CBI. No one from the conference has been involved in the four years it's been up and running. In fact, that seems to be becoming the default position for the major conferences. The last two years, only one school from a power conference has played (Oregon State last year and Oregon this year).
    I believe this is message board legend.

The CBI is a small 16 team tournament, limiting the number of teams. Beyond that, since it selects after the NIT and NCAA, its pool of BCS conference teams is fairly shallow. Among those that are remaining,for attendance purposes you really only want a team that'd want to be there. Most teams that place below the NCAA\NIT line consider that a disappointing season, so most have no interest, and thus it wouldnt make sense for them attendance wise. This substantially limits the pool even farther. Only in certain situations would it make sense, such as ISU's where while we didnt have the record, there was still a lot of excitement about the team. However, with our shallow roster and injuries that were stated above, it makes sense to stay home too.

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bellzisu View Post
    Sign me up.... If we win CBI then it = Final 4. Wow. Do you automatically qualify? Our do you actually have to win games? Open your eyes people.

Our next year starters for the most part are sitting on the bench and can't play. JA is hurt. JVB is hurt. SC is hurt. Don't see us making it too far. The team is traveling over seas, I think that will help us out enough.
    Hey now, haha, I'm not saying there is ONLY gain in playing in the CBI, I'm just saying that there ARE advantages that can come from it.

With injuries I can see it being an issue. Putting money in bowl games aside, if it was just about the practice and the extra game, it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to play the motor city bowl when half our defense and the skill positions on offense injured and sidelined for all of the practices and the games.

I can understand why we might have made the decision to NOT participate, but that doesn't take away that there would still have been some gain to be had. Even if we went to the tourney and played strictly those returning...we could go and play Palo, SC, Ejim, Godfrey and Railey....rotate in the rest to give them rest.

I know we would never do that, but the playing time for those young guys is critical...even if Ejim and Godfrey are the only ones getting significant minutes. That's still two slightly more seasoned players to go with the talent influx next season.

I'm not angry they didn't play in the CBI...but I still think we should have gone.