Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 44
  1. #1
    Walk On
    Points: 4,714, Level: 20
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 336
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Carr50010's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    148
    Points
    4,714
    Level
    20
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Blitzing! Is this the key to Beating Iowa?

    Last year Stanzi had all day to throw,
    will Blitzing may be the key to winning this game.

    Vandenberg is a relatively new QB,
    and many defenses blitz inexperienced quarterbacks to get them to make mistakes.

    What do you think?



  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 426,205, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,643
    Points
    426,205
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 1

    Re: Blitzing! Is this the key to Beating Iowa?

    Whole defense has to play well. Blitzing is all fine and dandy, but we only have one corner I trust in single coverage, and we get shredded in zone coverage. If we blitz and don't get to the QB, it'll be a long day.



  3. #3
    All-Star
    Points: 25,539, Level: 48
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 11
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Trainer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,444
    Points
    25,539
    Level
    48
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Blitzing! Is this the key to Beating Iowa?

    Denying Iowa fan in 3...2...1...



  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 554,982, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    ISUAgronomist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Back in Iowa!!!!!!!!
    Posts
    21,210
    Points
    554,982
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    Given: 37

    Re: Blitzing! Is this the key to Beating Iowa?

    How about we score some TD's too?



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 86,092, Level: 91
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 1,358
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    awd4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    6,977
    Points
    86,092
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 39

    Re: Blitzing! Is this the key to Beating Iowa?

    We could barely blitz at all last year because our d-line was just awful.



  6. #6
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 100,002, Level: 98
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 1,048
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    tm3308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Corydon/Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    4,585
    Points
    100,002
    Level
    98
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 43

    Re: Blitzing! Is this the key to Beating Iowa?

    Quote Originally Posted by Trainer View Post
    Denying Iowa fan in 3...2...1...
    Damnit, now I'm the 'denying Iowa fan", right on cue!

    I'm not certain that blitzing will do the trick. Vandenberg did struggle with blitzes a lot in 2009. Many Iowa fans talk about the Ohio State game, and Vandy made some VERY impressive throws in that game (the goal line bullet to McNutt was an NFL-throw and a half). But people fail to remember that Ohio State ran nothing but soft zone most of the game, because we had only Wegher at tailback coming into the game (who ended up not playing and they saw A-Rob at maybe 80%), daring Vandenberg to beat them through the air. Once they realized that they might lose, they ramped up the pressure, and Vandy struggled just like he did against Northwestern and Minnesota (who blitzed from the word go).

    That said, not much is known about Vandy's development at this point. Another year and a half in the film room and on the practice field may have helped his blitz recognition skills, as well as teach him how to deal with it when he sees blitz. Or he may still have to take some lumps. We don't really know anything about him right now other than he's got a good frame, decent mobility, and a cannon for an arm.

    But, if I were the DC, I'd blitz the s*it out of him. Until proven otherwise, he struggles with the blitz. And he's shown the ability to carve up a soft zone.


    “Hawks tell us we have no future, and we let you know what we think of Hawk fans, which is a lower opinion all the time.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

    “With the exception of tm3308. He is a good contributor on this site. It is almost to the point that I question if he is actually a hawk fan. ” -- Cyclonestate78 7/25/2011

    “He broke the mold. If he wrote the OP, I would have read the whole thing.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 83,300, Level: 89
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 450
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Erik4Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    6,993
    Points
    83,300
    Level
    89
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 164
    Given: 115

    Re: Blitzing! Is this the key to Beating Iowa?

    Is it THE key? no
    Is it A key? yes

    Moreso it's pressure, not just sending more people than them, but having Dlineman in the backfield. make him uncomfortable at all times.


    ISU license plates, just $50 at: http://www.iamvd.com/ovs/plates/index.htm
    "I am so proud to be your football coach!" - Paul Rhoads

    HOI-BALL!!!

  8. #8
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 78,095, Level: 86
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 255
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    twojman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Clive
    Posts
    4,388
    Points
    78,095
    Level
    86
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

    Re: Blitzing! Is this the key to Beating Iowa?

    When ISU beats Iowa, ISU blitzes a lot. When teams beat Iowa, they blitz. You do the math.



  9. #9
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 100,002, Level: 98
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 1,048
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    tm3308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Corydon/Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    4,585
    Points
    100,002
    Level
    98
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 43

    Re: Blitzing! Is this the key to Beating Iowa?

    Quote Originally Posted by Erik4Cy View Post
    Is it THE key? no
    Is it A key? yes

    Moreso it's pressure, not just sending more people than them, but having Dlineman in the backfield. make him uncomfortable at all times.
    I don't know who you've got back for personnel on the line, but if it's mostly the same crew then they will have a hard time getting more pressure than they did this year. Iowa's line should be better than last year's if Gettis stays healthy.


    “Hawks tell us we have no future, and we let you know what we think of Hawk fans, which is a lower opinion all the time.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

    “With the exception of tm3308. He is a good contributor on this site. It is almost to the point that I question if he is actually a hawk fan. ” -- Cyclonestate78 7/25/2011

    “He broke the mold. If he wrote the OP, I would have read the whole thing.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 172,924, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Marshalltown
    Posts
    9,653
    Points
    172,924
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 13
    Quote Originally Posted by isuaggie View Post
    How about we score some TD's too?
    This



  11. #11
    Legend
    Points: 402,074, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cyclonedave25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    14,282
    Points
    402,074
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 151
    Given: 56

    Re: Blitzing! Is this the key to Beating Iowa?

    Quote Originally Posted by isuaggie View Post
    How about we score some TD's too?
    Technically, you don't need to score TD's to beat Iowa.

    Signed,
    2007 ISU team


    When Prepared, Fear No One.

  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 29,565, Level: 52
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 185
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CyPride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,508
    Points
    29,565
    Level
    52
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Blitzing! Is this the key to Beating Iowa?

    Quote Originally Posted by twojman View Post
    When ISU beats Iowa, ISU blitzes a lot. When teams beat Iowa, they blitz. You do the math.
    When teams beat Iowa, they score points. Has been easy to do the math lately.



  13. #13
    All-Star
    Points: 25,539, Level: 48
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 11
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Trainer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,444
    Points
    25,539
    Level
    48
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Blitzing! Is this the key to Beating Iowa?

    Quote Originally Posted by tm3308 View Post
    Damnit, now I'm the 'denying Iowa fan", right on cue!

    I'm not certain that blitzing will do the trick. Vandenberg did struggle with blitzes a lot in 2009. Many Iowa fans talk about the Ohio State game, and Vandy made some VERY impressive throws in that game (the goal line bullet to McNutt was an NFL-throw and a half). But people fail to remember that Ohio State ran nothing but soft zone most of the game, because we had only Wegher at tailback coming into the game (who ended up not playing and they saw A-Rob at maybe 80%), daring Vandenberg to beat them through the air. Once they realized that they might lose, they ramped up the pressure, and Vandy struggled just like he did against Northwestern and Minnesota (who blitzed from the word go).

    That said, not much is known about Vandy's development at this point. Another year and a half in the film room and on the practice field may have helped his blitz recognition skills, as well as teach him how to deal with it when he sees blitz. Or he may still have to take some lumps. We don't really know anything about him right now other than he's got a good frame, decent mobility, and a cannon for an arm.

    But, if I were the DC, I'd blitz the s*it out of him. Until proven otherwise, he struggles with the blitz. And he's shown the ability to carve up a soft zone.

    On cue, but oh well you do what you do, and aren't disrespectful.



  14. #14
    Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Ames/Cedar Rapids
    Posts
    601
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Blitzing! Is this the key to Beating Iowa?

    Quote Originally Posted by Trainer View Post
    On cue, but oh well you do what you do, and aren't disrespectful.
    Yeah I'd say tm3308 is the best hawk poster on this site. All in all, the regular hawks on this board aren't too bad which is incredibly surprising.



  15. #15
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 100,002, Level: 98
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 1,048
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    tm3308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Corydon/Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    4,585
    Points
    100,002
    Level
    98
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 43

    Re: Blitzing! Is this the key to Beating Iowa?

    Quote Originally Posted by cycoOJfan89 View Post
    Yeah I'd say tm3308 is the best hawk poster on this site. All in all, the regular hawks on this board aren't too bad which is incredibly surprising.
    Well to be fair, the "other" Hawk posters don't last long enough to become regulars


    “Hawks tell us we have no future, and we let you know what we think of Hawk fans, which is a lower opinion all the time.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

    “With the exception of tm3308. He is a good contributor on this site. It is almost to the point that I question if he is actually a hawk fan. ” -- Cyclonestate78 7/25/2011

    “He broke the mold. If he wrote the OP, I would have read the whole thing.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM