Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Regents Approve Tuition Increases

The state Board of Regents approved a 5 percent tuition hike for most Iowa resident students, and a double-digit increase for some enrolled in nursing, engineering and business programs.
    Regents Ruth Harkin and Michael Gartner voted against the proposal, which passed on a 7-2 vote.
    Undergraduates enrolled at Iowa State University in the fall will pay 7 percent more than last year when mandatory fees are factored in.
    Students at the University of Iowa and University of Northern Iowa will pay about 5 percent more for tuition and mandatory fees.
    University administrators have justified the hikes by pointing to decades of steadily decreasing state revenues, including a 20 percent drop in revenues in the past two years.
    The largest increase would impact freshmen nursing students at the University of Iowa, who would pay 41 percent more.
    Upperclassmen business students at Iowa State University and the University of Northern Iowa would see tuition and fees rise by 13 percent and 11 percent, respectively
    Regents approve 5 percent tuition increase | Des Moines Register Staff Blogs

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 164
    Given: 539

Re: Regents Approve Tuition Increases

Shocker.

There are only a few guarantees in life and those are death, taxes, and the BOR trying as hard as they possibly can to make a quality college education as unaffordable as possible.

Pro
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,655
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

Tenured faculty were believed to support the increase, although none could be located on campus Tuesday for comment.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonestate78 View Post
    Shocker.

There are only a few guarantees in life and those are death, taxes, and the BOR trying as hard as they possibly can to make a quality college education as unaffordable as possible.
    Don't blame the Regents. It's the legislature that keeps cutting state funding for the Regents' institutions that's to blame.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 244
    Given: 100

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonestate78 View Post
    Shocker.

I wouldnt put the entire blame on the regents. The universities certainly have areas they can cut (computer labs were a glaring example to me), but the legislature has consistently underfunded the universities in good times and in bad for some now.

Amazing how they all puzzle why so many students leave the state, but yet put policies in place that make it so many have to leave just to get jobs that'll pay for the high student loan debt iowa students rack up.

Addict
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93
    Given: 391

Love it!

Budget cuts while tuition increases!

Legend
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 298
    Given: 253

Quote Originally Posted by cigaretteman View Post
    Don't blame the Regents. It's the legislature that keeps cutting state funding for the Regents' institutions that's to blame.
    Yeah, I really doubt that the Regents cackled evilly while making that vote. The legislature is the group responsible for this increase, not the Regents.

Pro
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 798
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by alarson View Post
    I wouldnt put the entire blame on the regents. The universities certainly have areas they can cut (computer labs were a glaring example to me), but the legislature has consistently underfunded the universities in good times and in bad for some now.

Amazing how they all puzzle why so many students leave the state, but yet put policies in place that make it so many have to leave just to get jobs that'll pay for the high student loan debt iowa students rack up.
    Where are these Iowa students racking up this debt? I went to ISU from 2001-2005 and there were tons of classmates from Minnesota in my Chemical engineering department. They said that even with out of state tuition, the cost of going to school at ISU was about half that of going to the University of Minnesota, which has one of the best ChE departments in the land. Iowa tuitions are reasonable on a relative scale. It is the enormous cost of higher education that is country wide which is the problem. I blame the democrats, since they have pushed everyone to get a college degree, and simple demand from students has allowed even the D3 schools to have enormous tuitions.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 164
    Given: 539

Quote Originally Posted by cigaretteman View Post
    It's all of them, the BOR, the legislature, the Governor, etc... They want the state of Iowa to be a leader in science, technology, business, etc... yet they cut funding and hike tuition every chance they get.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 86
    Given: 14

It all still goes back to the Regents IMO. The amount wasted at Iowa State is disgusting, and I'll guarantee Northern Iowa and Iowa are the exact same way. No accountability at any level = recklass spending.

For example, with the College of Business at Iowa State. Screw differential tuition. People want smaller class sizes? Tell them they can go to DMACC and transfer in. I haven't had a 300 level class in my major yet that had more than 60 people in it. Maybe take and don't require all students to purchase 2,000 pages of printing that most won't use? Instead of getting total pieces of **** when they buy new computers from Dell, get something that works and load it up with RAM so they aren't slower than molasses? No student cares if the CPU is built into the monitor when they take 5 minutes to start up. Give me a CPU sitting on the floor and 1 minute of startup time.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by brett108 View Post
    Where are these Iowa students racking up this debt?
    Lack of financial aid compared to other universities.

Starter
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 630
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

Where are these Iowa students racking up this debt? I went to ISU from 2001-2005 and there were tons of classmates from Minnesota in my Chemical engineering department. They said that even with out of state tuition, the cost of going to school at ISU was about half that of going to the University of Minnesota, which has one of the best ChE departments in the land. Iowa tuitions are reasonable on a relative scale. It is the enormous cost of higher education that is country wide which is the problem. I blame the democrats, since they have pushed everyone to get a college degree, and simple demand from students has allowed even the D3 schools to have enormous tuitions.

Ummmmmm no. Coming from a out of state student from Minnesota you are COMPLETELY wrong. In state tuition in Iowa is dirt cheap, while out of state tuition is ridiculous. My student loan debt is proof.

My biggest beef has always been that if Iowa wants to attract more skilled labor from outside the state why is out of state tuition so expensive? The counter argument of course is that by making in state tuition cheap, you keep kids from leaving the state. To each his own I guess.

Addict
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,126
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 172
    Given: 170

5% is just for your typical student. I read awhile back in the Daily Iowan that law students could see like a 20% increase, and nursing students could see up to 50%. That is so far beyond ridiculous that it's not even sad anymore.

“Hawks tell us we have no future, and we let you know what we think of Hawk fans, which is a lower opinion all the time.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

“With the exception of tm3308. He is a good contributor on this site. It is almost to the point that I question if he is actually a hawk fan. ” -- Cyclonestate78 7/25/2011

“He broke the mold. If he wrote the OP, I would have read the whole thing.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

Speechless
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 244
    Given: 100

Lets try to keep this out of the cave for awhile at least, and i say this as a conservative. both sides have plenty of blame here, and both have cut regents funding when they have had control.

While our tuition level by itself is in line... our financial aid doesnt keep up well with other institutions.

Last edited by alarson; 03-23-2011 at 01:02 PM.

Speechless
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone711 View Post
    Ummmmmm no. Coming from a out of state student from Minnesota you are COMPLETELY wrong. In state tuition in Iowa is dirt cheap, while out of state tuition is ridiculous. My student loan debt is proof.

My biggest beef has always been that if Iowa wants to attract more skilled labor from outside the state why is out of state tuition so expensive? The counter argument of course is that by making in state tuition cheap, you keep kids from leaving the state. To each his own I guess.
    Iowa residents pay taxes to fund the university. Out of state students don't.

and Iowa State does the exact opposite. Because of the amount of debt I'm going to take out of school, I'm limited in the jobs I can consider because there are better paying jobs elsewhere.