Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Legend
    Points: 205,520, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    jbhtexas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Arlington, TX
    Posts
    11,009
    Points
    205,520
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 313
    Given: 193

    Geno Auriemma: UConn fans spoiled

    2011 NCAA Women's Tournament: Geno Auriemma of Connecticut says fans are spoiled - ESPN

    Well, that is pretty low attendance for an NCAA tourney game. However, I'm not sure that his method is going to help get more fans in the stands...


    "Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

    Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

  2. #2
    All-Star
    Points: 94,377, Level: 95
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 673
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    CloneFan4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Pants Party
    Posts
    1,731
    Points
    94,377
    Level
    95
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 4

    Re: Geno Auriemma: UConn fans spoiled

    I've always wondered if Geno would succeed in Mens Basketball. It would be entertaining to see UCONN hire him when Calhoun retires.


    ***Undefeated COD Clone Wars Champion***
    ***OP of the Largest Thread on CF***

  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 440,043, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,985
    Points
    440,043
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 247
    Given: 30

    Re: Geno Auriemma: UConn fans spoiled

    What a moron. Guess coach every quarter? This isn't the NBA ya arrogant bastard.



  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 36,617, Level: 58
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 33
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    drmwevr08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    3,452
    Points
    36,617
    Level
    58
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 6

    Re: Geno Auriemma: UConn fans spoiled

    Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    What a moron. Guest coach every quarter? This isn't the NBA ya arrogant bastard.
    Really?

    I think he's right on both accounts. The fans are likely spoiled and they do tend to have a lot of things right there with the conf. tourney and 2 NCAA rounds. Take the early rounds out for a while and see what happens.


    Nothing to see here mods. Keep moving.

  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 101,531, Level: 99
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,519
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,178
    Points
    101,531
    Level
    99
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Given: 24

    Re: Geno Auriemma: UConn fans spoiled

    Quote Originally Posted by drmwevr08 View Post
    Really?

    I think he's right on both accounts. The fans are likely spoiled and they do tend to have a lot of things right there with the conf. tourney and 2 NCAA rounds. Take the early rounds out for a while and see what happens.


    Spoiled isn't the right word for it. Bored is more like it. 90-40 games are boring. And NCAA tickets are very expensive compared to regular season. Geno forgets that some people work for a living and times are kinda tough.



  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 489,218, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    32,901
    Points
    489,218
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,117
    Given: 801

    Re: Geno Auriemma: UConn fans spoiled

    The thing is though Auriemma is just as spoiled. He has the best recruits in the nation begging to play for him, he has lost something like 1 game in the last 3 years or more, and his team's games are nationally televised when no other women's programs get aired outside of the tournament.

    I'm not saying he hasn't earned all of this respect - he has. He worked hard early in his career, was successful, and as such he has gained advantages because of his success. But perhaps he's been too successful. I've often stated (referring to Wisconsin's successful implementation of play that some refer to as "extremely boring") that winning isn't boring. Perhaps I'm wrong - UConn wins so much anymore that there's no mystery anymore. When the fans show up to a UConn game it's never a question of whether they're going to win, but by how much. I'm sure that a lot of the fans are now of the opinion of "UConn's going to win anyway, probably by a lot, been there, done that. I've got other things I can do - let me know when they play somebody important." It's probably gotten to the point where UConn fans view the first round of the tournament as such.

    Sure the UConn fans are taking UConn's and Auriemma's success for granted. At the same time, Auriemma is taking the fans' unlimited support for granted as well. I never thought I'd ever say that winning can get "boring," but with America in a recession, money limited, and other things to do, and seeing nothing but outright success the last 5 years or so, their fans may be of the opinion of "been there, done that."


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.



  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 103,773, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    vmbplayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    3,490
    Points
    103,773
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 38

    Re: Geno Auriemma: UConn fans spoiled

    This is the same guy that ******* to the media when his team set the longest winning streak in college basketball that the only reason they were covering it was because it was a womens team breaking a mens record.

    Hey GENO it's not supposed to be about YOU and what you view as injustices!

    Not bidding on the tournament for 5 years? Yea there's a great way to grow the fan support and fan base???? Geno is very good at what he does, and he's become a spoiled tool. 99% of the rest of NCAAWB coaches would kill for the kind of support his team gets and for the coverage his team gets, and he turns around and complains about how what he has isn't good enough.

    In this case he seems to have forgotten that the NCAA tourney is about the kids on the team and not his agenda. If he goes on the road for the tourney the next 5 years he will have even less fan support and it will be less fun for his team to play for even fewer UCONN fans. I know if I was a freshman and was on that squad I'd be ticked that he wasn't going to do everything he could to let me play in my home arena in front of my fans for the NCAA tournament because he wanted to make a point to his own fans that they aren't supportive enough.

    Attention UCONN recruits Coach Fennelly will be glad to bid for an NCAA tournament appearance to be made at your home arena. He also will keep in perspective that playing NCAA basketball is a once in a lifetime experience and help you enjoy it while you play on Big Monday on ESPN, or playing a game at Cameron Indoor for example. He also has never taken away from his own teams accomplishments by making some big political statement or I've been slighted speech.

    Come see how Great ISU WBB fans are, and you'll be the focus of the success, and will have a fulfilling life experience at the same time. Also, if you bring all the talent to ISU that goes to UCONN you will also experience the same nearly undefeated results you'd get there.


    End Rant.


    "Blamo"! The new CF approved swear word.

  8. #8
    Pro
    Points: 26,863, Level: 50
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 687
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,170
    Points
    26,863
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 66
    Given: 96

    Re: Geno Auriemma: UConn fans spoiled

    For the fans, it gets boring after they keep blowing out their opponents.

    It's similar to our team when we played in the pre-season against much lesser teams.



  9. #9
    All-Star
    Points: 18,192, Level: 41
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 758
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Three4Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    1,907
    Points
    18,192
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 26

    Re: Geno Auriemma: UConn fans spoiled

    Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    2011 NCAA Women's Tournament: Geno Auriemma of Connecticut says fans are spoiled - ESPN

    Well, that is pretty low attendance for an NCAA tourney game. However, I'm not sure that his method is going to help get more fans in the stands...
    He should be thankful he had that many, there were 1362 for the game between Oklahoma and Miami.



  10. #10
    All-Star
    Points: 18,192, Level: 41
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 758
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Three4Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    1,907
    Points
    18,192
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 26

    Re: Geno Auriemma: UConn fans spoiled

    Quote Originally Posted by vmbplayer View Post
    This is the same guy that ******* to the media when his team set the longest winning streak in college basketball that the only reason they were covering it was because it was a womens team breaking a mens record.

    Hey GENO it's not supposed to be about YOU and what you view as injustices!

    Not bidding on the tournament for 5 years? Yea there's a great way to grow the fan support and fan base???? Geno is very good at what he does, and he's become a spoiled tool. 99% of the rest of NCAAWB coaches would kill for the kind of support his team gets and for the coverage his team gets, and he turns around and complains about how what he has isn't good enough.

    In this case he seems to have forgotten that the NCAA tourney is about the kids on the team and not his agenda. If he goes on the road for the tourney the next 5 years he will have even less fan support and it will be less fun for his team to play for even fewer UCONN fans. I know if I was a freshman and was on that squad I'd be ticked that he wasn't going to do everything he could to let me play in my home arena in front of my fans for the NCAA tournament because he wanted to make a point to his own fans that they aren't supportive enough.

    Attention UCONN recruits Coach Fennelly will be glad to bid for an NCAA tournament appearance to be made at your home arena. He also will keep in perspective that playing NCAA basketball is a once in a lifetime experience and help you enjoy it while you play on Big Monday on ESPN, or playing a game at Cameron Indoor for example. He also has never taken away from his own teams accomplishments by making some big political statement or I've been slighted speech.

    Come see how Great ISU WBB fans are, and you'll be the focus of the success, and will have a fulfilling life experience at the same time. Also, if you bring all the talent to ISU that goes to UCONN you will also experience the same nearly undefeated results you'd get there.


    End Rant.
    What will happen is UConn won't bid, but Fairfield or Hartford will bid and will serve at the "host" school. The committee will send UConn to play there even though it won't be their home court because they want fannies in the seats.



  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 51,441, Level: 70
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 1,109
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    AlleyAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    2,609
    Points
    51,441
    Level
    70
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Geno Auriemma: UConn fans spoiled

    Quote Originally Posted by vmbplayer View Post
    This is the same guy that ******* to the media when his team set the longest winning streak in college basketball that the only reason they were covering it was because it was a womens team breaking a mens record.

    Hey GENO it's not supposed to be about YOU and what you view as injustices!

    Not bidding on the tournament for 5 years? Yea there's a great way to grow the fan support and fan base???? Geno is very good at what he does, and he's become a spoiled tool. 99% of the rest of NCAAWB coaches would kill for the kind of support his team gets and for the coverage his team gets, and he turns around and complains about how what he has isn't good enough.
    This is exactly what I was going to post, I'm starting to think Geno is a headcase. How you could turn breaking the record for consecutive NCAA basketball wins into a negative thing is way beyond me.



  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 174,025, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    RayShimley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    6,039
    Points
    174,025
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 30

    Re: Geno Auriemma: UConn fans spoiled

    Wouldn't Geno NOT finding something to complain about be a more compelling news story?



  13. #13
    Starter
    Points: 15,154, Level: 37
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 496
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    849
    Points
    15,154
    Level
    37
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 17

    Re: Geno Auriemma: UConn fans spoiled

    Geno is a tool. He has made himself look very bad this year with this incident and the way he handled coverage of there winning streak.



  14. #14
    Legend
    Points: 205,520, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    jbhtexas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Arlington, TX
    Posts
    11,009
    Points
    205,520
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 313
    Given: 193

    Re: Geno Auriemma: UConn fans spoiled

    Quote Originally Posted by dabears32 View Post
    Geno is a tool. He has made himself look very bad this year with this incident and the way he handled coverage of there winning streak.
    Yes, but he's trying to gain back public affection with these Visgoth Sports Net interviews...

    [ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNfppmW4h9g&[/ame]


    "Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

    Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 70,395, Level: 82
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 1,055
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    5,080
    Points
    70,395
    Level
    82
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93
    Given: 162

    Re: Geno Auriemma: UConn fans spoiled

    So let's get back to addressing the issue why the #2 ranked women's team can't draw at home?

    Wouldn't one explanation be simply that women's basketball is not very entertaining?

    Maybe Geno's right; they ought to offer free parking. Or do what the NBA does to keep fans from getting bored with the product.


    "We are first and foremost an educational institution that values integrity, honesty and treating others with fairness and respect".

    -ISU President Gregory Geoffroy; circa May 2003.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Fox Sports Net
  • BASKETBALL: Iowa State vs. Alabama
  • November 24, 2014
  • 08:30 PM