Daily article about Cael.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 70
  1. #1
    Pro
    Points: 38,213, Level: 60
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 837
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CycloneNorth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Clarksville, TN
    Posts
    2,118
    Points
    38,213
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 13

    Daily article about Cael.

    Saw this in today's Iowa State Daily. I felt like it was a little too harsh on Cael and I'm just wondering what everyone else thinks.

    Cael Sanderson sold out - Iowa State Daily: Sports



  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 133,514, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    iahawkhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Huxley, IA
    Posts
    2,798
    Points
    133,514
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 36

    Re: Daily article about Cael.

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneNorth View Post
    Saw this in today's Iowa State Daily. I felt like it was a little too harsh on Cael and I'm just wondering what everyone else thinks.

    Cael Sanderson sold out - Iowa State Daily: Sports
    I just gave it a quick read, but I agree that it seemed overly harsh. The article seemed to imply (at least to me) that a national championship would have been eminent if Cael had stayed in Ames. I don't follow wrestling closely enough to know how true that is. I agree, though, that Cael took the easy way out (as pointed out in a different thread recently).


    Quote Originally Posted by im4cyclones View Post
    [Anything] is easy if you are content to suck at it.

  3. #3
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 72,622, Level: 83
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 528
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cyfan964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    4 blocks from the Jack
    Posts
    4,616
    Points
    72,622
    Level
    83
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 129
    Given: 307

    Re: Daily article about Cael.

    I think it hit the nail on the head. He sold out his alma mater for more money and a better chance at getting big recruits. You can spin it any way you want, but that's what happened. I don't blame the guy, it's just the way it is.



  4. #4
    Legend
    Points: 222,660, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    10,523
    Points
    222,660
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 411
    Given: 475

    Re: Daily article about Cael.

    Well he did sell out. I think what hurts most is him taking recruits from us with him. That was a **** move. We paid him to bring those kids to Iowa State.


    Last edited by LindenCy; 03-22-2011 at 06:13 PM.
    Nobody but HB knows for sure. You pretty much know nothing....like Knownothing would like to say.
    Word

  5. #5
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 57,303, Level: 74
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,247
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    pulse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,826
    Points
    57,303
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 80
    Given: 80

    Re: Daily article about Cael.

    I think it was right on the money. Nothing harsh at all about it.



  6. #6
    Starter
    Points: 21,707, Level: 45
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 843
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    515 via 712
    Posts
    981
    Points
    21,707
    Level
    45
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 0

    Re: Daily article about Cael.

    Quote Originally Posted by cyfan964 View Post
    I think it hit the nail on the head. He sold out his alma mater for more money and a better chance at getting big recruits. You can spin it any way you want, but that's what happened. I don't blame the guy, it's just the way it is.
    That is what happened, he made a smart business move. If you got offered a job that increased your pay such a substantial amount and were told the job would be less stressful/less work (easy recruiting) than your previous job would you take it?

    None of us know the entire story. Maybe Pollard and Cael had some sort of beef? Maybe Cael felt his alma mater didn't show him the respect he deserved? Who knows?

    At the end of the day he is and always will be one of the greatest Cyclones ever. Embrace it.



  7. #7
    Legend
    Points: 146,097, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Judoka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Timbuktu
    Posts
    11,161
    Points
    146,097
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 704
    Given: 785

    Re: Daily article about Cael.

    Quote Originally Posted by TitanClone View Post
    That is what happened, he made a smart business move. If you got offered a job that increased your pay such a substantial amount and were told the job would be less stressful/less work (easy recruiting) than your previous job would you take it?

    None of us know the entire story. Maybe Pollard and Cael had some sort of beef? Maybe Cael felt his alma mater didn't show him the respect he deserved? Who knows?

    At the end of the day he is and always will be one of the greatest Cyclones ever. Embrace it.
    If he hadn't taken Cyler (likely costing us the title last year) and pretty much the entire 2009 recruiting class that we'd paid him to recruit with him, plus causing us to lose most of the 2008 recruiting class, then there would be a whole lot less bitterness.



  8. #8
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 84,703, Level: 90
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 847
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    azepp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    3,964
    Points
    84,703
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 128

    Re: Daily article about Cael.

    I don't think the article was too harsh either. He sold out. I don't blame him.

    That said, I wouldn't ever have written that article. The author is still harboring sour grapes over something that happened two years ago. It's time to move on.



  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 143,714, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    RayShimley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    6,053
    Points
    143,714
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 94
    Given: 30

    Re: Daily article about Cael.

    Quote Originally Posted by TitanClone View Post
    That is what happened, he made a smart business move. If you got offered a job that increased your pay such a substantial amount and were told the job would be less stressful/less work (easy recruiting) than your previous job would you take it?

    None of us know the entire story. Maybe Pollard and Cael had some sort of beef? Maybe Cael felt his alma mater didn't show him the respect he deserved? Who knows?

    At the end of the day he is and always will be one of the greatest Cyclones ever. Embrace it.
    One, I have not heard anywhere that JP wasn't willing to match whatever salary PSU offered Cael. So it wasn't the money. Second, your scenario fails because we aren't just talking about leaving a job you have no personal connection to. It's more like if you worked for your family business for all your life, you'd already given your parents assurances that you wanted to take up the reins after they left and they'd made special arrangements for you to do so, and then, after a couple years, you decided it was too much work and went to go work somewhere else, taking with you all your family's old clients and their best employees. I'm not saying someone doesn't have the right to do that, but I think that is a more accurate analogy.



  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 348,394, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    19,618
    Points
    348,394
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 746
    Given: 93

    Re: Daily article about Cael.

    Quote Originally Posted by TitanClone View Post
    That is what happened, he made a smart business move. If you got offered a job that increased your pay such a substantial amount and were told the job would be less stressful/less work (easy recruiting) than your previous job would you take it?

    None of us know the entire story. Maybe Pollard and Cael had some sort of beef? Maybe Cael felt his alma mater didn't show him the respect he deserved? Who knows?

    At the end of the day he is and always will be one of the greatest Cyclones ever. Embrace it.
    Not a similar scenario. Let's say a company hires you as a sales intern. They pay you well. You then do a terrific job and the whole company just loves you. You are known in the business because of what you did there. You are so great that not only does the company hire you full time, they bump out what would be your boss to make room for you to take control of the reigns. Now, this company, even though one of the top 5 in this particular branch, struggles in some of the other branches which are much more lucrative. Since, they struggle there, the money isn't the same as others.

    So then, Company X comes calling. They are one of those companies that are huge with multiple successful branches. Not only that, but the most profitable branch of business is one of the "powers." Since this is so, they can then subsidize your branch with the overrun from the powerful branch and afford to give you more. They promise you basically the world in terms of this branch and can give you everything you want to succeed. Notice I said "want." I didn't say need because you were on track at your former company to have great success but the new office, four computer monitors, and fancy sale vehicle may have had to wait a little long.

    You decide that instead of having some patience and sticking with the company who gave you your shot at an internship, then moved pieces to make you the manager of your department, you will go elsewhere to a company who didn't help make you what you are because it will be "easier" and you will make more money.

    That's what he did. He sold out. I have a problem with it. I realize not all do and that's fine. I can see the other side as well but in the end he sold out and there's no other way to explain it.


    It's all snark from here on out

  11. #11
    Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids
    Posts
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Daily article about Cael.

    Quote Originally Posted by RayShimley View Post
    One, I have not heard anywhere that JP wasn't willing to match whatever salary PSU offered Cael. So it wasn't the money. Second, your scenario fails because we aren't just talking about leaving a job you have no personal connection to. It's more like if you worked for your family business for all your life, you'd already given your parents assurances that you wanted to take up the reins after they left and they'd made special arrangements for you to do so, and then, after a couple years, you decided it was too much work and went to go work somewhere else, taking with you all your family's old clients and their best employees. I'm not saying someone doesn't have the right to do that, but I think that is a more accurate analogy.
    This is not the same at all. Cael wasn't even from Iowa. Yes, he did go to school here and won more than anyone ever. Yes, he did coach here after he was done. However he felt it was in his best interest to leave. He didn't owe ISU anything. If anyone owes, ISU should owe him for everything that he accomplished and the exposure he gave wrestling and ISU. He also didn't take those kids with him. After Cael left, they chose on their own to leave ISU. Just like hundreds of kids do after they leave when the head coach leaves that recruited them.

    All to often people on this board take things way to personal about ISU. People need to remember that it is a business and shouldn't blame others for making decision on what is best for their own family. I think we all would take a new job if it was the best decision for their own family.



  12. #12
    All-Star
    Points: 15,015, Level: 37
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 635
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    JJ4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    WDM Side of Waukee
    Posts
    1,203
    Points
    15,015
    Level
    37
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 6

    Re: Daily article about Cael.

    Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    Well he did sell out. I think what hurts most is him taking recruits from us with him. That was a dick move. We paid him to bring those kids to Iowa State.
    I agree. That's his prerogative to take a different job, but to take recruits and a few current wrestlers with him to wrestle immediately is BS. And it's even worse to do that to your alma mater.



  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 143,714, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    RayShimley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    6,053
    Points
    143,714
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 94
    Given: 30

    Re: Daily article about Cael.

    Quote Originally Posted by Becker View Post
    This is not the same at all. Cael wasn't even from Iowa. Yes, he did go to school here and won more than anyone ever. Yes, he did coach here after he was done. However he felt it was in his best interest to leave. He didn't owe ISU anything. If anyone owes, ISU should owe him for everything that he accomplished and the exposure he gave wrestling and ISU. He also didn't take those kids with him. After Cael left, they chose on their own to leave ISU. Just like hundreds of kids do after they leave when the head coach leaves that recruited them.

    All to often people on this board take things way to personal about ISU. People need to remember that it is a business and shouldn't blame others for making decision on what is best for their own family. I think we all would take a new job if it was the best decision for their own family.
    You're right, ISU wrestling was nothing before Cael.

    And BS he didn't take those kids with him. You are delusional if you think otherwise.



  14. #14
    Pro
    Points: 40,988, Level: 62
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 662
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    clones26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    2,598
    Points
    40,988
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 37

    Re: Daily article about Cael.

    I heard Cael left because he wanted to be closer to home ...I guess those Utah people dont know their directions very well


    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day".-Frank Sinatra


    @cyfert26 on Twitter

  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 348,394, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    19,618
    Points
    348,394
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 746
    Given: 93

    Re: Daily article about Cael.

    Quote Originally Posted by Becker View Post
    This is not the same at all. Cael wasn't even from Iowa. Yes, he did go to school here and won more than anyone ever. Yes, he did coach here after he was done. However he felt it was in his best interest to leave. He didn't owe ISU anything. If anyone owes, ISU should owe him for everything that he accomplished and the exposure he gave wrestling and ISU. He also didn't take those kids with him. After Cael left, they chose on their own to leave ISU. Just like hundreds of kids do after they leave when the head coach leaves that recruited them.

    All to often people on this board take things way to personal about ISU. People need to remember that it is a business and shouldn't blame others for making decision on what is best for their own family. I think we all would take a new job if it was the best decision for their own family.
    News flash-People knew about ISU wrestling before Cael. He didn't make this program. ISU maybe did owe him though and guess what. They paid up. The moved Douglas out and him in right away. Then he sold out.


    It's all snark from here on out

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.tv
  • HOOPS: Iowa State vs. Mississippi Valley State
  • December 31, 2014
  • 06:00 PM