Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 162
    Given: 4

Twins Fans.......who do you want?

Twins beat writers have said Twins will carry 12 pitchers to start season. So, with 8 position players, Kubel at DH, Thome as one bat, and Butera as back-up catcher....that leaves two open spots for the bench. Who do you want to see up there? Leading candidates would be Luke Hughes, Matt Tolbert or Jason Repko. Of those 3 who would you want to see, or do you have someone else? Just curious.......and I am so ready for baseball to get started.

All-Star
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 726
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Twins Fans.......who do you want?

Quote Originally Posted by Dryburn View Post
    Twins beat writers have said Twins will carry 12 pitchers to start season. So, with 8 position players, Kubel at DH, Thome as one bat, and Butera as back-up catcher....that leaves two open spots for the bench. Who do you want to see up there? Leading candidates would be Luke Hughes, Matt Tolbert or Jason Repko. Of those 3 who would you want to see, or do you have someone else? Just curious.......and I am so ready for baseball to get started.
    It sounds like Hughes is having a great Spring at the plate and in the field and the coaches are all high on him right now, so I'm guessing he's gonna have a spot. I think Tolbert and Repko are both descent players as well, but they've already seen some action and had more of a chance to prove themselves. I'd like to see what Hughes can do for us this year.

- Im not a spin my wheels type of guy." - Coach Paul Rhoads

Pro
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 951
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 13

I would like to see Tolbert and Repko for their defense. I don't know how good Hughes is in a middle infield spot, so if he could play there I wouldn't mind having his bat. Mainly I want a World Series Title.

I AM SO PROUD....
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I love Repko to give Spann a day off once or twice a week.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,487
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36

Repko is a done deal. Unless they think Tolbert can spell Span in center, but I know they want to give Span a few more days off, so I think it has to be Repko.

As for Tolbert and Hughes, I'm not sure how good Hughes defense is. Can he spell Casilla at short? Or alternatively, can Yoshi play short occasionally? Basically, does Hughes give them enough defensive flexibility to take him instead of Tolbert.

The other though is what is the future of Hughes? If Yoshi and Casilla do well and look like long term replacements at SS and 2B, Hughes doesn't have much of a future with the Twins. Could he go down to AAA and put up big numbers and possibly be a trade chip? Would the Twins be wasting his value using him as a utility player?

Alternatively, who knows if Valencia will build on last year or if he will regress. If he regresses, Hughes gives them another 3B option.

I AM SO PROUD....
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Actually more concerned what our bullpen will look like with all the departures and uncertainty around Nathan.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 711
    Given: 484

Quote Originally Posted by RhoadsRage View Post
    Actually more concerned what our bullpen will look like with all the departures and uncertainty around Nathan.
    Have to agree here. I'm not worried about the lineup or the defense, I'm more concerned about the 4th and 5th starters and the bullpen.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by clone52 View Post
    Repko is a done deal. Unless they think Tolbert can spell Span in center, but I know they want to give Span a few more days off, so I think it has to be Repko.

As for Tolbert and Hughes, I'm not sure how good Hughes defense is. Can he spell Casilla at short? Or alternatively, can Yoshi play short occasionally? Basically, does Hughes give them enough defensive flexibility to take him instead of Tolbert.

The other though is what is the future of Hughes? If Yoshi and Casilla do well and look like long term replacements at SS and 2B, Hughes doesn't have much of a future with the Twins. Could he go down to AAA and put up big numbers and possibly be a trade chip? Would the Twins be wasting his value using him as a utility player?

Alternatively, who knows if Valencia will build on last year or if he will regress. If he regresses, Hughes gives them another 3B option.
    Yeah, I think Repko is probably a done deal too, mainly because he can play center, and no one else really can.

Between Tolbert and Hughes, I'm a little torn. Hughes has hit really well this Spring, and has finally started to show a little power with 5 home runs this Spring. Then again, it is Spring training, so.....

What I like about Hughes is that he can play 3rd, 2nd, or even first, so he can spell several players. He supposedly has been working hard on the fielding in the off-season, and he is 2 years younger than Tolbert. Tolbert is a good fielder, but he is just not much of a hitter at all. He is a little faster than Hughes.

As far as Casilla goes, yes........Nishi can play ss. That is the position he played most in Japan.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by RhoadsRage View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Have to agree here. I'm not worried about the lineup or the defense, I'm more concerned about the 4th and 5th starters and the bullpen.
    I'm concerned about the bullpen too, but the Twins usually manage to piece something pretty good together.

Starter spots apparently secure: Pavano, Liriano, Blackburn and Duensing. Then either Baker or Slowey, with other going to pen.

So that leaves 6 pen positions. Nathan, Capps, Mijares are assured.

Choose the remaining 3 from (apparently) Diamond, Hoey, Hughes, Manship, Slama, Perkins, Waldrop, and Gutierrez.

Gardy apparently really likes Gutierrez, and he has not allowed a run eight innings this Spring.

It will be fun (and a bit nerve-wracking) to watch the early part of the season.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    I think people are overreacting to the starter and bullpen roles. The Twins always have a good bullpen and its not because they have a bunch of superstars. They always seem to find the right guys for it and put them in the right spots. Nathan looks good this spring. Capps should be a good setup guy. Mijares will be fine. Dusty Hughes has looked really good. Carlos Guitierez looks strong, as does Kyle Waldrop. Glen Perkins might find a home in the pen. Jim Hoey should be in the mix. Scott Diamond, Alex Burnett. I'm sure they'll find enough guys to fill things out.

As for the starters, Blackburn, Baker and Slowey all had down years last year and should be due for a bounceback. I think Slowey will start in the pen or be traded. Blackburn's problems last year I think were mental. He and his wife had their first child in August and my bet is that his poor June and July were due to the pregnancy. After his baby was born on August, he was phenomenal. Liriano was one of the top pitchers last year. Pavano was great last year and has looked great this spring. That gives the Twins a solid 1-2 punch. Baker was down slightly last year, but typically is around league average, which makes him a decent #3 starter. Blackburn will be fine this year as the #4. Duensing, if he holds up all year will be a very good #5. Considering the Twins have Slowey and Gibson for depth, starters will be fine.

Defense may be down with the loss of Hardy and Hudson.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Yeah, I think Repko is probably a done deal too, mainly because he can play center, and no one else really can.

Between Tolbert and Hughes, I'm a little torn. Hughes has hit really well this Spring, and has finally started to show a little power with 5 home runs this Spring. Then again, it is Spring training, so.....

What I like about Hughes is that he can play 3rd, 2nd, or even first, so he can spell several players. He supposedly has been working hard on the fielding in the off-season, and he is 2 years younger than Tolbert. Tolbert is a good fielder, but he is just not much of a hitter at all. He is a little faster than Hughes.

As far as Casilla goes, yes........Nishi can play ss. That is the position he played most in Japan.
    I know Nishi can play SS, its just do they want him to. Transitioning to the majors can be tough and having to bounce between positions wouldn't help.

If Hughes has improved his defense enough, then I really hope he comes up. That utility spot needs to be defense first, I think.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I'm concerned about the bullpen too, but the Twins usually manage to piece something pretty good together.

Starter spots apparently secure: Pavano, Liriano, Blackburn and Duensing. Then either Baker or Slowey, with other going to pen.

So that leaves 6 pen positions. Nathan, Capps, Mijares are assured.

Choose the remaining 3 from (apparently) Diamond, Hoey, Hughes, Manship, Slama, Perkins, Waldrop, and Gutierrez.

Gardy apparently really likes Gutierrez, and he has not allowed a run eight innings this Spring.

It will be fun (and a bit nerve-wracking) to watch the early part of the season.
    I really like Hughes and Guitierrez for 2 of those last 3 spots. After that, maybe Hoey.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Here's a nice little article about Nishi too, if anyone is interested.

Twins may have struck gold with Tsuyoshi Nishioka | twinsbaseball.com: News

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by clone52 View Post
    I really like Hughes and Guitierrez for 2 of those last 3 spots. After that, maybe Hoey.
    Yeah, I have not seen most of these guys pitch. Perkins....I've seen enough of him. Manship and Slama did not impress much....I think they were good in AAA, but not quite ready for majors yet. The others I just don't know much about.

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 1,141
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 25

Can't believe how much Tolbert love there is, especially considering all the belly-aching that has been done over Punto all these years. Of course maybe that wasn't you guys but still...

How many years have the Twins given away 3 innings per game committing themselves to a 2b, ss, 3b that couldn't hit all in the name of "good defense"

Juan Castro, Nick Punto, Matt Tolbert, Brendan Harris, Alexi Casilla, Adam Everett, L-Rod, Terry Tiffee....

At least start with something that might possibly have the threat of an offensive pulse. We can always go back and pick up a .270 OPS from Rochester in May or June if it isn't working.