Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 133
    Given: 0

Saving a scholarship for a transfer

Honestly the more I think about it I'd like us to save a scholarship for a transfer every year. There are all kinds of rumors that Jereme Richmond is done at Illinois, and will be transferring. Not that we would have a shot with him, because we never were part of his recruiting, but there is some talent available every spring now with stuff like this. IMO until we start winning again with regularity we need to be a little creative in regard to getting talent in here. Might be a good idea. What does everybody else think?

Also, for the most part, I couldn't be happier with our high school talent this year and next.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 386
    Given: 58

Re: Saving a scholarship for a transfer

Meh, interesting theory. My opinion is that you take the first worthy kids who want to come here. If you think a kid is worthy of an offer and he would like to come here or you have a chance, take him. Don't get me wrong, the good transfers are nice and may work out well, but I just want the best players. Everyone complains about the longevity of a program banking on transfers but that's bunk too. If you have one really good year, then that propels you and basketball is different than football in that freshman can come in and be successful much quicker. In short I guess my opinion on basketball is that you do what's best for next year every year and don't look back. The game and teams change so quickly. Football just isn't the same in that respect.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Pro
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 439
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    Honestly the more I think about it I'd like us to save a scholarship for a transfer every year. There are all kinds of rumors that Jereme Richmond is done at Illinois, and will be transferring. Not that we would have a shot with him, because we never were part of his recruiting, but there is some talent available every spring now with stuff like this. IMO until we start winning again with regularity we need to be a little creative in regard to getting talent in here. Might be a good idea. What does everybody else think?

Also, for the most part, I couldn't be happier with our high school talent this year and next.
    Man, say it isn't so. Trying to get a team of previous malcontents to mesh on the court still seems like a daunting task for a 1st time coach. After next year we can decide if the transfer thing is the way to go. If next year doesn't lead to 22 wins and the NCAA tournament, we need to nip this transfer acquisition in the bud.

Pro
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 725
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I don't believe in the saving of a scholarship hoping for something better later on... Now, if we go after high school talent and end up not getting the ones we want to sign and have an extra scholarship, that is another story. If that is the case than instead of taking an 'okay' guy that we wouldn't have otherwise offered then I could see holding off and waiting to see what comes available in the transfer department.

Overall though, you have to go after the top high school talent that you want... They are going to be the keys to success, not your 1 or 2 year transfer guys (note that I encourage this technique once you are established, I have nothing against what we did for next year to get the ball rolling in a hopefully good direction).

Addict
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 1,083
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 323
    Given: 60

If we are very selective in doing that, I would be ok with it. Obviously you have to not only use those rides on proven talent, but find guys that are truly good kids too. I would rather we crank up our HS recruiting though, as that is the best way to do it, IMO.

It does seem as though there are some pretty damn good, starter quality transfers every year however.

Recruit
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 275
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6

The future of Richmond at Illinois is still in question. But before you chase him, do you homework. He was suspended from his team in high school and is now rumored to be a problem for Bruce Weber. Living in the northern burbs of Chicago, I heard stories of him being tough on his coaches. Not sure we need those problems in Ames.

Pro
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,051
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 6

McD took a lot of kids that weren't Big XII players to fill the roster. I think you take a kid if you think he helps the program. Otherwise you keep looking.

Let Me Mayor Coach!

Pro
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 935
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 87

Quote Originally Posted by SvrWxCy View Post
    Overall though, you have to go after the top high school talent that you want... They are going to be the keys to success, not your 1 or 2 year transfer guys (note that I encourage this technique once you are established, I have nothing against what we did for next year to get the ball rolling in a hopefully good direction).
    This is true to a point, but what's the difference in having a couple of 1 or 2 year transfers vs. getting some top tier HS talent that will leave early for the draft??

Pro
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,502
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 3

I'd rather have BJ Young come to us. He has 4 years to play and with the coaching change at Arkansas he would be able to play immediately for us.

R.I.P "Gibbons" 4/3/2012
    R.I.P RollsRoyce 4/12/2012

Speechless
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 731
    Given: 489

My opinion is there is rarely ever a need to "save" scholarships because someone on the roster is bound to either get really upset that they aren't getting the playing time that they want or realize that they just can't cut it at this level and transfer to another place where they have a greater chance to succeed. In either case, scholarships open up.

Now, I'm not saying offer that opening to the next available yet potential headcase, however, if someone has the potential to really help out the team, don't hold out for someone that may be better next year.

There's no need for a "rainy day fund" when it comes to scholarships - they are always opening up.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 133

Good point. I would be surprised if we didn't have one transfer a year. And Richmond was just an example.

Legend
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 244
    Given: 311

I will take transfers over marginal players

Nobody but HB knows for sure. You pretty much know nothing....like Knownothing would like to say.
    Word

Legend
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 468
    Given: 641

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post

Agree. I would take more than one. If you save one spot, it is likely the other spot(s) could open-up naturally by the conclusion of the season.

It still can be a competitive market, so having too many open scholarships left at the time of players transferring is kind of risky, but assuming we can get them, I would not mind a large portion of the team being made of guys that transfer in, redshirt in Ames, and then have 2 or 3 years of playing in Hilton.

As far as the "trying to get a team of previous malcontents to mesh on the court", you do realize these guys were some other program's safe freshman? A team full of Jake Anderson's, Chris Allen's, Booker's is not likely to be anymore malcontent than bringing in all freshmen.

Last edited by swarthmoreCY; 03-21-2011 at 02:37 PM.

Legend
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 207
    Given: 36

Quote Originally Posted by BleedCycloneRed View Post
    The future of Richmond at Illinois is still in question. But before you chase him, do you homework. He was suspended from his team in high school and is now rumored to be a problem for Bruce Weber. Living in the northern burbs of Chicago, I heard stories of him being tough on his coaches. Not sure we need those problems in Ames.
    I sure as hell hope he is in Champaign next year.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,305
    Given: 637

I'd take a transfer over banking a scholarship, but I really think the transfer thing right now is due to Fred trying to get the program on the rise quickly. I'm sure he will keep his eyes open for potential transfers in the future if they're talented and the right fit, but I think he will primarily be looking to fill the roster with mostly high school/prep school kids, with a few jucos thrown in the fill immediate holes when we have them.