Are close losses and more level competition, exposing the quality of NCAA officials?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rookie
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Are close losses and more level competition, exposing the quality of NCAA officials?

My father and I had a very long discussion last night. He has been watching the NCAA tournament with Madness for years. I have been watching with Madness since 1985-86 and we both agree that this year seems to be the closest competition we have ever seen. It seems like from 3 all the way to 14 doesn't have much separation. We think it is Great for college Basketball. It has really made the tournament and our brackets interesting, but we also both contended that it has really exposed the state of NCAA Basketball officiating.

My father was an official for H.S. and Mens League for 20 years, and my uncle just wrapped up working the Illinois Super Sectionals last week as an official. He's been at it for 30 years. So I would say that I'm not coming at this from the ignorant belly-acher point of view, and my bracket is still pretty healthy so I'm not trying to justify my brackets. In fact I've been the benefactor of some of the worst calls so far in the tournament.

I really don't want to get into all the specifics of some of those calls. I'm more commenting on the fact it seems that the equal level of competition has exposed something that IMO has been there for quite a few years, very inconsistent officiating with pig headed officials unwilling to take the time to confer and get a call right or look at a replay to get a call right.

If anything, my frustrations with the number of and length of commercials during the games is a clear sign they have the time to take to get it right, but it seems there were just as many or more missed opportunities as opportunities made right. From Sunday's interview with the head of officials on CBS it is clear that many of the officials acted as they were supposed to according to the rule book, but as

I've contended for a while, there are inconsistencies and technological advantages that haven't been exposed or implemented in the rule book for years. I think it is time that the NCAA takes a hard look at the state of officiating in College Basketball.

What do you all think?

Honor before Victory

All-Star
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,118
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41

Re: Are close losses and more level competition, exposing the quality of NCAA officia

I see inconsistencies all the time. I thought the end of the Texas game was just horrible. The official doesn't go by the clock, he goes by his own arm extension count. On the 4rth extension he blew his whistle before he did the 5th. He screwed up his own count and blew the call. The video evidence even shows the timeout was called before the 5 seconds was up as it was clocked in that he blew the whistle at 4.76 seconds. Then on Arizona's last time on offense they called a very questionable foul on Texas. When Texas got the ball, Brown was bumped hard in the lane before the shot, it was a lot more contact than what Texas got called for on the other end. Inconsistent for sure.

All-Star
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 136
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 66
    Given: 16

Re: Are close losses and more level competition, exposing the quality of NCAA officia

Quote Originally Posted by cayin View Post
    I see inconsistencies all the time. I thought the end of the Texas game was just horrible. The official doesn't go by the clock, he goes by his own arm extension count. On the 4rth extension he blew his whistle before he did the 5th. He screwed up his own count and blew the call. The video evidence even shows the timeout was called before the 5 seconds was up as it was clocked in that he blew the whistle at 4.76 seconds. Then on Arizona's last time on offense they called a very questionable foul on Texas. When Texas got the ball, Brown was bumped hard in the lane before the shot, it was a lot more contact than what Texas got called for on the other end. Inconsistent for sure.
    When Derrick Williams went for layup at the end, that was def defensive foul on Hamilton. Hamilton was still moving as Derrick Williams went for layup. I am not sure if Brown was fouled as he drove to the basket. He did initiate the contact for the bump, so could have gone either way. There was no foul on last play when Johnson went up as time expired because there was no time left when he was blocked/fouled by Derrick Williams.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 207
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 67

From what I've watched, I think the officials have done a very good job. Even though they are getting paid to do a job, they only have an instant in many cases to make the call. We get to analyze with 20/20 vision, which is much much easier to do.

The only thing that really bothers me about officials sometimes is if they get caught up in the emotion of the game and make the game about them, or make some calls to sort of get back at a coach or team who they feel is mistreating them. That is wrong, but I haven't really seen that in this tournament.

Starter
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 544
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 44

I have had the same conversation with my day, he was a BB official for 25 years. I have been exposed to officiating for many years and have also coached basketball here and there. I do not claim to be an expert when it comes to officiating but we both have seen a downfall in officiating. My dad said you should see HS ball. It blames HS ball at least here in Iowa on going from 2 officials to 3 for a game. It is hard enough to find quality but adding another official makes it extremely difficult. Also not many are going into the profession of officiating in any sport at any level. I feel that this could only get worse.

"Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you."
    -Satchel Paige

Addict
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,588
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 251
    Given: 54

I don't think the officiating is really any worse than it has ever been. I just think with HDtv, 24/7 coverage on the internet, ESPN, and now the ability to watch every tournament game, these close calls just get discussed and analyzed a lot more than before.

Pro
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,047
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 226
    Given: 148

To me the most questionable call so far was no call at all. the UNC-Washington game.. Washington's guard took a stupid shot from halfcourt with 3 seconds left, a UNC post tipped it and the ball hit out of bounds at 1.2 seconds left. The clock kept going to .5 seconds left and the refs didn't even go to a replay to make sure the time was right. After the game Washington's coach was interviewed and said that they had asked the refs to take a look at the replay but the refs said that they didn't need to. Of course, a bitter coach could be lieing about that after the game, but regardless shouldn't the refs always make sure of the time in such a huge situation? Who knows if Washington would of made the shot anyway, but they would have had almost a full extra second to make a play.

In Fred We Trust

All-Star
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 393
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 2

They should have one ref in a video room that can make calls. Problem solved like a full time replay where he can talk to officials on the floor. Sometimes the best view is from you rliving room this can and should be done. Too much money and prestige is on the line to have officials deciding games without review.

All-Star
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,118
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41

Quote Originally Posted by greatshu View Post
    When Derrick Williams went for layup at the end, that was def defensive foul on Hamilton. Hamilton was still moving as Derrick Williams went for layup. I am not sure if Brown was fouled as he drove to the basket. He did initiate the contact for the bump, so could have gone either way. There was no foul on last play when Johnson went up as time expired because there was no time left when he was blocked/fouled by Derrick Williams.
    You are wrong on the Brown drive to the hoop, he did not initiate contact. Watch the video. The Arizona player bumped him with his arms cross in front of his chest in a pushing position. Brown was bumped and pushed off his balance to the right from the behind view, it is very clear from that angle. It is also very clear from the camera under the hoop. My point still stands, that was way more of a foul than the Hamilton call. Hamilton was trying to get out of the way and BARELY touched him.

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by ljhlax View Post
    I've contended for a while, there are inconsistencies and technological advantages that haven't been exposed or implemented in the rule book for years. I think it is time that the NCAA takes a hard look at the state of officiating in College Basketball.

What do you all think?
    NCAA officials need to get back into calling travel violations. Either call the player for dragging the pivot foot or a foul on the other guy doing the pushing. If you don't call it, you are allowing a offensive player an unfair advantage or the defensive player too much contact.

Calling traveling consistently would go along way to improving the game. It has absolutely driven me nuts all season.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 152

Quote Originally Posted by mac4cy View Post
    I have had the same conversation with my day, he was a BB official for 25 years. I have been exposed to officiating for many years and have also coached basketball here and there. I do not claim to be an expert when it comes to officiating but we both have seen a downfall in officiating. My dad said you should see HS ball. It blames HS ball at least here in Iowa on going from 2 officials to 3 for a game. It is hard enough to find quality but adding another official makes it extremely difficult. Also not many are going into the profession of officiating in any sport at any level. I feel that this could only get worse.
    Disagree on Iowa getting worse going from 2 to 3. Even if you add a 3rd ref who shouldn't be working varsity, you'll still catch more things "off the ball" (and "on the ball") than you would with only 2 very good refs. Talk to any ref who has gone from 2 officials to 3, and then back to 2....you feel like you're seeing about 50% of the action and are missing a bunch of stuff (which you are).

"It's appropriate for leaders sometimes to move boldly against the flow of public opinion," she said. "That's called leadership." --- Sarah Swisher (D), Superdelegate, Iowa City

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 1,189
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by cayin View Post
    You are wrong on the Brown drive to the hoop, he did not initiate contact. Watch the video. The Arizona player bumped him with his arms cross in front of his chest in a pushing position. Brown was bumped and pushed off his balance to the right from the behind view, it is very clear from that angle. It is also very clear from the camera under the hoop. My point still stands, that was way more of a foul than the Hamilton call. Hamilton was trying to get out of the way and BARELY touched him.
    You are probably right on the Brown call, but the foul on Hamilton was definately the right call. He undercut the Arizona player. Just because the Arizona player had good flexibility and tried to be a contortionist doesn't change the fact that Hamilton undercut him.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 1,189
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by wonkadog View Post
    Disagree on Iowa getting worse going from 2 to 3. Even if you add a 3rd ref who shouldn't be working varsity, you'll still catch more things "off the ball" (and "on the ball") than you would with only 2 very good refs. Talk to any ref who has gone from 2 officials to 3, and then back to 2....you feel like you're seeing about 50% of the action and are missing a bunch of stuff (which you are).
    You're absolutely correct. 3 man is so much of an improvement over 2 man, its not even funny.

In fact, I think one change in college basketball that would help is a fourth man. You see so many times on a fast break where the official is trailing the play and ends up guessing on whether there is a foul called. With four officials, 2 stay on each baseline while the other 2 run the court. That eliminates the lack of court coverage on steals/fast breaks.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 129

Design a computer to make calls. Problem fixed.

Pro
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,189
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 102
    Given: 5

Quote Originally Posted by CynadoAlley View Post
    To me the most questionable call so far was no call at all. the UNC-Washington game.. Washington's guard took a stupid shot from halfcourt with 3 seconds left, a UNC post tipped it and the ball hit out of bounds at 1.2 seconds left. The clock kept going to .5 seconds left and the refs didn't even go to a replay to make sure the time was right. After the game Washington's coach was interviewed and said that they had asked the refs to take a look at the replay but the refs said that they didn't need to. Of course, a bitter coach could be lieing about that after the game, but regardless shouldn't the refs always make sure of the time in such a huge situation? Who knows if Washington would of made the shot anyway, but they would have had almost a full extra second to make a play.
    That was a terrible call. Would have led a chance for a catch, dribble and shot. Also the fact they did not call the goaltending at the end? I know it was worthless for the final outcome, but in terms of spreads and gambling could have been significant.