Pollard has now hired 2 National Championship caliber coaches - Page 3
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 261
  1. #31
    Addict
    Points: 92,613, Level: 94
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 537
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    capitalcityguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    5,570
    Points
    92,613
    Level
    94
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 238
    Given: 212

    Re: Pollard has now hired 2 National Championship caliber coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by cloneswereall View Post
    I get it. You have a boner for JP. Thing is, he drove off by a lack of action one of the most successful coaches AT ISU that he hired. That's totally a ringing endorsement of a great AD.
    ...and likewise, I get you. You refuse to address the realities of the ISU athletic budget. It does make your argument a lot easier to make though, so kudos for that...I guess.


    CCG

  2. #32
    Addict
    Points: 110,363, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RING4CY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ankeny, IA
    Posts
    6,747
    Points
    110,363
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 142
    Given: 159

    Re: Pollard has now hired 2 National Championship caliber coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
    So, you're going to go down the road that he should never have hired Sanderson? Really?
    Where the **** did I say that?

    What I am saying is, Jamie Pollard deserves NO (zero, none, zilch) credit for former Cyclone coaches winning national championships elsewhere.

    The title of this thread is misleading. If Pollard had hired national championship caliber coaches, those national championships would have been won at Iowa State. Penn State and Auburn have hired national championship caliber coaches. Not Iowa State. Not Jamie Pollard.




  3. #33
    Pro
    Points: 68,564, Level: 81
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,186
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cloneswereall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,363
    Points
    68,564
    Level
    81
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 99
    Given: 5

    Re: Pollard has now hired 2 National Championship caliber coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
    My bad. I was mistakingly attributing another's comments to you.

    That said, it seems to me that your comments suggest that your love of wrestling tends to jade your ability to effectly comprehend the realities that ISU must deal with regarding limited budgets.
    No, it really doesn't. He was asking for a space that was not shared by common students. Not a dedicated wrestling facility. Not even looking into it, or really caring to, especially when you're building new BB and have FB building plans, will let him know where he "lies" in the scheme of things.

    Would it have been difficult to include wrestling space in the new BB facility? As an add-on? Would it have cost much more?

    Those are the reasons he left. The lack of consideration for his job.


    He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.

  4. #34
    Pro
    Points: 72,425, Level: 83
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 725
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    SvrWxCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    2,851
    Points
    72,425
    Level
    83
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Pollard has now hired 2 National Championship caliber coaches

    A lot of crap being thrown around thus far here...

    You can't say he has done terrible, or even bad. He made two hires that did eventually become national championship caliber coaches; Chizik just needed to get his act together after 2 years of fooling around with friends as assistants, etc... Cael obviously for one reason or another wanted out of Iowa State for 'greener' pastures in his eyes. I don't think either of them were JP's fault, I doubt we could have matched the funds Auburn through at Chizik and it seems unlikely that we could have thrown more money at Cael seeing that at best we were likely breaking even with wrestling budget.

    Given the financial situation I don't think we've seen JP do anything terrible... Although the previous basketball hire was questionable, we'll see how the latest one ends up (Hoiberg looking promising)...

    We need to keep improving though, we can't be a turnstile of coaches that leave and end up with better teams. KJ needs to get the team turned around and become a top 10 team by next year in my opinion; CPR needs to have us in a bowl game; and FH needs to have the team next year in the NCAA tourney. If at least two of those things don't happen and ISU athletics is in some big trouble!



  5. #35
    Addict
    Points: 79,159, Level: 87
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 991
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    dualthreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Alumni road
    Posts
    6,998
    Points
    79,159
    Level
    87
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 259
    Given: 42

    Re: Pollard has now hired 2 National Championship caliber coaches

    The OP makes a great point

    And if you don't agree with him, you need to take a good look in the mirror. Its us. And i think deep down you all believe it but are too proud to admit it.



  6. #36
    Legend
    Points: 143,092, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Marshalltown
    Posts
    10,247
    Points
    143,092
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 267
    Given: 175

    Re: Pollard has now hired 2 National Championship caliber coaches

    Glad Cael won and not Brands.



  7. #37
    All-Star
    Points: 13,803, Level: 35
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 247
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    La Fox, IL
    Posts
    1,228
    Points
    13,803
    Level
    35
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 2

    Re: Pollard has now hired 2 National Championship caliber coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by cloneswereall View Post
    No, it really doesn't. He was asking for a space that was not shared by common students. Not a dedicated wrestling facility. Not even looking into it, or really caring to, especially when you're building new BB and have FB building plans, will let him know where he "lies" in the scheme of things.

    Would it have been difficult to include wrestling space in the new BB facility? As an add-on? Would it have cost much more?

    Those are the reasons he left. The lack of consideration for his job.
    I don't know the whole story as to why cael left. However, no matter what school you go to. Football will be king, basketball second, and everything else is next. Penn St. may have built a new facility just for wrestling, but it doesn't mean he is going to get more resources until football and basketball are taken care of first. So in my opinion, the only reason why he left was for more money and an athletic department with more money.



  8. #38
    Pro
    Points: 68,564, Level: 81
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,186
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cloneswereall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,363
    Points
    68,564
    Level
    81
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 99
    Given: 5

    Re: Pollard has now hired 2 National Championship caliber coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
    ...and likewise, I get you. You refuse to address the realities of the ISU athletic budget. It does make your argument a lot easier to make though, so kudos for that...I guess.
    And you continue to put words in people's mouths because it makes your argument easier to make, so kudos for that...I guess.


    He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.

  9. #39
    Addict
    Points: 92,613, Level: 94
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 537
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    capitalcityguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    5,570
    Points
    92,613
    Level
    94
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 238
    Given: 212

    Re: Pollard has now hired 2 National Championship caliber coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by RING4CY View Post
    Where the **** did I say that?

    What I am saying is, Jamie Pollard deserves NO (zero, none, zilch) credit for former Cyclone coaches winning national championships elsewhere.

    The title of this thread is misleading. If Pollard had hired national championship caliber coaches, those national championships would have been won at Iowa State. Penn State and Auburn have hired national championship caliber coaches. Not Iowa State. Not Jamie Pollard.
    The title of the thread is 100% accurate. It can't be denied.

    Now...you could argue that he should have hired coaches that were more committed to staying at ISU or that he should have somehow done more to keep them...but the fact remains, they both are of the caliber that have the ability to lead a team to a National Championship...and in fact, did.


    Last edited by capitalcityguy; 03-20-2011 at 12:39 AM.
    CCG

  10. #40
    Addict
    Points: 120,087, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Tornado man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    8,069
    Points
    120,087
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 139
    Given: 243

    Re: Pollard has now hired 2 National Championship caliber coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by cloneswereall View Post

    Would it have been difficult to include wrestling space in the new BB facility? As an add-on? Would it have cost much more?

    Those are the reasons he left. The lack of consideration for his job.
    I doubt that JP had any idea that Cael would leave (until it was too late) and the success Cael would have so quickly at Penn State.
    I recall most of us laughed that if Cael couldn't beat the Hawks while at ISU, good luck in the Big Ten! Well, he won the Big Ten championship, and now the biggest prize of all today.
    We're not laughing anymore...



  11. #41
    Addict
    Points: 110,363, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RING4CY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ankeny, IA
    Posts
    6,747
    Points
    110,363
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 142
    Given: 159

    Re: Pollard has now hired 2 National Championship caliber coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    That's not true at all. Had he fired them then yes, but not under the scenerios they actually left. At one point he hired two coaches who won NCs. You can't say that doesn't give him some sort of credibility.
    Yeah, I don't get that. Chizik wins a national championship elsewhere, so we should pat Pollard on the back I guess? I mean, who cares what actually happens at Iowa State. 5-19 deserves some sort of credibility apparently.




  12. #42
    Pro
    Points: 68,564, Level: 81
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,186
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cloneswereall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,363
    Points
    68,564
    Level
    81
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 99
    Given: 5

    Re: Pollard has now hired 2 National Championship caliber coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    I doubt that JP had any idea that Cael would leave (until it was too late) and the success Cael would have so quickly at Penn State.
    I recall most of us laughed that if Cael couldn't beat the Hawks while at ISU, good luck in the Big Ten! Well, he won the Big Ten championship, and now the biggest prize of all today.
    We're not laughing anymore...
    That's the thing. Most wrestling fans were ******, while others were bringing up the "can't beat Iowa" or "didn't win the Championship" crap.


    He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.

  13. #43
    Addict
    Points: 110,363, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RING4CY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ankeny, IA
    Posts
    6,747
    Points
    110,363
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 142
    Given: 159

    Re: Pollard has now hired 2 National Championship caliber coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
    The title of the thread is 100% accurate. It can't be denied.

    Now...you could argue that he should have hired coaches that were more committed to staying at ISU or that he should have someone done more to keep them...but the fact remains, they both are of the caliber that have the ability to lead a team to a National Championship...and in fact, did.
    What they didn't do was win national championships at Iowa State.

    So. Why. Does. Jamie. Pollard. Deserve. Credit. For. That.?




  14. #44
    Addict
    Points: 79,159, Level: 87
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 991
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    dualthreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Alumni road
    Posts
    6,998
    Points
    79,159
    Level
    87
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 259
    Given: 42

    Re: Pollard has now hired 2 National Championship caliber coaches

    We couldn't afford better assistants that who Chiz hired. Besides, Mahlzan wouldn't have come to IState for the money we would have paid him.

    Chiz would have hired his auburn staff here at ISU in a heartbeat if he was allowed. We can really beat a dead horse here... cause the same scenario happened to Dan Mac and will probably happen to CPR someday. Sad truth when you can foot the bill of success.



  15. #45
    Addict
    Points: 92,613, Level: 94
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 537
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    capitalcityguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    5,570
    Points
    92,613
    Level
    94
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 238
    Given: 212

    Re: Pollard has now hired 2 National Championship caliber coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by cloneswereall View Post
    And you continue to put words in people's mouths because it makes your argument easier to make, so kudos for that...I guess.
    I admited when I mistakenly attributed someone's elses commit to you. What more do you want? I'm sorry. That said, you still haven't addressed the budget realities....but you did kick the can a bit further down the street by ignoring that question, yet again.


    CCG

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.tv
  • HOOPS: Iowa State vs. Mississippi Valley State
  • December 31, 2014
  • 06:00 PM