Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Prospect
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

ISU Men's Golf Success

Anyone taking notice to what Coach Andrew Tank has done with all of Jay Horton's recruits? He is getting the most out of these guys and they are tasting a fair amount of success. It's good to see and hear that the players respect Coach Tank and what he's trying to do with the program.

Coach Tank has been aggressive in improving the ISU image whether it is by giving the Heated Bay a face lift, putting the Cyclone golf program out in the social media world through Facebook, and by just being a respectful member of the Ames/Cyclone community. It is great to see this team do well. A lot of nice guys on the team who are reaching their potential.

It is amazing to realize how bad the program was one year ago with the same players. It proves that Jay was a bad coach and that he wasn't respected by his own players. I wonder what Jay is doing now.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 205
    Given: 36

Re: ISU Men's Golf Success

Wow sour grapes on your part? I did not like Jay by the way. Coach Tank is a hell of a guy.

Prospect
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 367
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I do not know Coach Tank personally, and I have no doubt he is a good guy. However, I don't believe either of you two know Jay Horton.
    There are so many wrong things with Digitals comments above, that I don't know where to start.
    It's easy to lob grenades when you can hide behind a screen name.
    BTW...Coach Horton is doing just fine. If Digital really knew anything about golf he would know that Jay has started his own company that prepares junior golfers to play in college.

All-Star
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 308
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 1

I don't know Tank either (sure he is a nice fella) but Jay Horton is probably one of the nicest guys I've ever met.

Prospect
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 58
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jdwebb View Post
    I do not know Coach Tank personally, and I have no doubt he is a good guy. However, I don't believe either of you two know Jay Horton.
    There are so many wrong things with Digitals comments above, that I don't know where to start.
    It's easy to lob grenades when you can hide behind a screen name.
    BTW...Coach Horton is doing just fine. If Digital really knew anything about golf he would know that Jay has started his own company that prepares junior golfers to play in college.
    Perfectly said!

Prospect
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 367
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Digital-After doing a little research, I have found yet another falacy in your idiotic post.
    ISU Men's Golf is ranked 88th by Golfweek and Golfstat right now. How is that ranking an improvement from where the team was in 2010? Coach Horton had the team ranked in the 50's and 60's the entire spring season.
    You also state that the winter hitting station received a "facelift". If you consider renaming the structure a "facelift" - you are an idiot.
    Good luck to Coach Tank and the Cyclones for the remainder of the spring season.

Last edited by jdwebb; 03-25-2011 at 09:43 AM.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jdwebb View Post
    Digital-After doing a little research, I have found yet another falacy in your idiotic post.
    ISU Men's Golf is ranked 88th by Golfweek and Golfstat right now. How is that ranking an improvement from where the team was in 2010? Coach Horton had the team ranked in the 50's and 60's the entire spring season.
    You also state that the winter hitting station received a "facelift". If you consider renaming the structure a "facelift" - you are an idiot.
    Good luck to Coach Tank and the Cyclones for the remainder of the spring season.
    All very true. Things must be going so well for ISU men's golf right now that Coach Tank decided to only take 4 players to the U of Iowa tournament (all other teams played 5, which is normal, but ISU only played 4). They then went on to finish last in a weak field. I can only imagine what would be said on this board if Coach Hoiberg played 4 players in a game.

Say what you want about Jay, but he always at least gave his team a chance.

Pro
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58
    Given: 42

How is finishing dead last in a weak field this weekend at IC successful? This team has played well in one tournament all season, on a dog-track of a course. According to Golfstat, they are 100th in the nation in head-to-head rankings, beating only 61% of teams. This doesn't include this weekend, btw. You want to see success, take a look at what Iowa is doing.

---sorry coachfran didn't realize you basically posted the same thing.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Still think they are having a successful year, digital? Last place in the conference is really good.

Legend
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ZJohnson View Post
    Still think they are having a successful year, digital? Last place in the conference is really good.
    Ya they are average at best, and my stance on Tank from a previous post I made is changing rapidly. Christy however had one hell of a year before the poor showing in the Big 12's. Too bad about how they finished, I dont think they have been that deep in contention in a long time. She is very nice to work with.

Rookie
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

As with all Cyclone Sports, I always wish the BEST for our programs.

I do not know, have never met, but will support Andrew Tank in his efforts as Head Men's Golf Coach.

With that being said... any idiot who hides behind his 8th CF post to trash a Cyclone Coach, who resigned (but was forced out), in a non revenue generating sport, and in a sport ill-suited for Iowa falls & springs while the greater percentage of Conference foes enjoy year round play needs to get a life.

Jay Horton is a friend and a CYCLONE. Coach Horton recruited alot of midwest and many Iowa kids which saves the University $1000,'s on scholarships. If you want to complain about something look at Women's Tennis. Michele Conlon and Armando Espinosa have had roughly 1 Iowa kids in the last 10 years and have never won a damn thing. When it comes to minor sports... I hope you do well, but if you are going to suck, suck with Iowa kids.

I'm sure you already know he has stayed in Ames and started a company called Collegiate Prep Golf Academy. Maybe you should sign your kid up and live your dreams through him/her???

Last edited by LZclone; 04-26-2011 at 08:58 PM. Reason: didn't know a female dog was a word that would get 'bleeped'

All-Star
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 891
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 21

Quote Originally Posted by LZclone View Post
    As with all Cyclone Sports I always wish the BEST.

I do not know, have never met, but will support Andrew Tank in his efforts as Head Men's Golf Coach.

With that being said... any idiot who hides behind his 8th CF post to trash a Cyclone Coach, who resigned (but was forced out), in a non revenue generating sport, and in a sport ill-suited for Iowa falls & springs while the greater percentage of Conference foes enjoy year round play needs to get a life.

Jay Horton is a friend and a CYCLONE. While I'm sure you already know he has stayed in Ames and started a company called Collegiate Prep Golf Academy. Maybe you should sign your kid up and live your dreams through him/her???
    I think Christine Mertens would disagree with you.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by LZclone View Post
    As with all Cyclone Sports, I always wish the BEST for our programs.

Jay Horton is a friend and a CYCLONE. Coach Horton recruited alot of midwest and many Iowa kids which saves the University $1000,'s on scholarships. If you want to complain about something look at Women's Tennis. Michele Conlon and Armando Espinosa have had roughly 1 Iowa kids in the last 10 years and have never won a damn thing. When it comes to minor sports... I hope you do well, but if you are going to suck, suck with Iowa kids.

I'm sure you already know he has stayed in Ames and started a company called Collegiate Prep Golf Academy. Maybe you should sign your kid up and live your dreams through him/her???
    If I had to choose between Scum and Jay Horton. Horton would lose out. If you want to discuss this further PM me.

Rookie
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Three4Cy View Post
    I think Christine Mertens would disagree with you.
    Good for her. She has done a great job. I bet if you sit down and ask her if she is at a disadvantage, given the weather, against the Oklahomas and Texases maybe even the Kansases of the world... she would say she is.

ohh and she has 4 Iowans on her roster.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Four Iowans that don't play. She has always recruited over Iowa talent. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. If she continues to win, I don't care where these girls come from.