Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 63
  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 86,475, Level: 91
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 975
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    BigBake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    U'dale
    Posts
    5,575
    Points
    86,475
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 54

    2011/12 Season realistic approach

    Plenty of talk lately about next season but it's all through rose colored glasses. I want to know how fans are going to react if we don't live up to the expectations they are setting (in Lucca like fashion).

    Let's take a realistic look at next season. I want to know how you'll feel if we don't make the tourney. If you take off the Cyclone glasses and put down the Kool Aid...

    - We have a second year coach with no main scorers returning.
    - Most if not all of our starters next year have seen no Big 12 action.
    - The coaches and media will likely pick us to finish 7 or 8th in the conf.

    My point is I think us as a fanbase have to be careful at this point for setting ourselves up for disappointment. In all honesty we have nothing that tells us to "expect" a ncaa tourney berth.

    Hypothetical we have a decent non conf again but struggle in conf but finish better...say 5th or 6th but draw up short of the dance. How will you react? Will you dismiss season as a failure?

    I'm not trying to pee in anyone's Kool Aid but just to have a honest conversation about our expectations as a fans next year and maybe bring back down to earth a few posters who think we are 1 player from a final four team. (yes I read this today)


    Fanatic #25

  2. #2
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 13,288, Level: 34
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    260
    Points
    13,288
    Level
    34
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 0

    Re: 2011/12 Season realistic approach

    Mommy why does my kool aid taste like pee??.....thanks BigBake



  3. #3
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 13,288, Level: 34
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    260
    Points
    13,288
    Level
    34
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 0

    Re: 2011/12 Season realistic approach

    Realistically i think people need to temper their expectations a little bit, but honestly you can only temper so much. Allen will be a stud. Royce will contribute huge amounts the key is going to be on how the rest of the guys gel together around these guys. If we can have a post presence along with great guard play....the tourney could be in our future



  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 281,262, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    16,599
    Points
    281,262
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 209
    Given: 19

    Re: 2011/12 Season realistic approach

    What's wrong with having expectations? I'm tired of this fanbase expecting absolutely nothing and just hoping for the best. It was fine this past year but next year is a talented team and it's time people starting acting like it.

    Now saying were one player away from having a final four team is going overboard but there is nothing wrong with having expectations that this will be a NCAA tournament team. It's not that hard.



  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 39,299, Level: 61
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,051
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    2,630
    Points
    39,299
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 6

    Re: 2011/12 Season realistic approach

    or you can look at it like this
    we return 2 starters averaged double figures + a big man who came on strong late
    add 3 top fifty recruits 2 with college exp and one that played in the final 4
    plus a proven Big 10 shooter and 3 more traditional recruits.
    Next year looks like the perfect yer to be much improvd in the Big XII.


    Let Me Mayor Coach!

  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 86,475, Level: 91
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 975
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    BigBake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    U'dale
    Posts
    5,575
    Points
    86,475
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 54

    Re: 2011/12 Season realistic approach

    Quote Originally Posted by gocubs2118 View Post
    What's wrong with having expectations? I'm tired of this fanbase expecting absolutely nothing and just hoping for the best. It was fine this past year but next year is a talented team and it's time people starting acting like it.

    Now saying were one player away from having a final four team is going overboard but there is nothing wrong with having expectations that this will be a NCAA tournament team. It's not that hard.
    I think that's the key point. What do we expect? I obviously expect better than this season produced.

    I would be happy with a mid pack finish in the conf and tickled if we make the tournament. With that said I'm not content with that year after year. I expect it to trend up and get to the point where the NCAA is a given.


    Fanatic #25

  7. #7
    All-Star
    Points: 24,006, Level: 47
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 544
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    dtclones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    1,630
    Points
    24,006
    Level
    47
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: 2011/12 Season realistic approach

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBake View Post
    Plenty of talk lately about next season but it's all through rose colored glasses. I want to know how fans are going to react if we don't live up to the expectations they are setting (in Lucca like fashion).

    Let's take a realistic look at next season. I want to know how you'll feel if we don't make the tourney. If you take off the Cyclone glasses and put down the Kool Aid...

    - We have a second year coach with no main scorers returning.
    - Most if not all of our starters next year have seen no Big 12 action.
    - The coaches and media will likely pick us to finish 7 or 8th in the conf.

    My point is I think us as a fanbase have to be careful at this point for setting ourselves up for disappointment. In all honesty we have nothing that tells us to "expect" a ncaa tourney berth.

    Hypothetical we have a decent non conf again but struggle in conf but finish better...say 5th or 6th but draw up short of the dance. How will you react? Will you dismiss season as a failure?

    I'm not trying to pee in anyone's Kool Aid but just to have a honest conversation about our expectations as a fans next year and maybe bring back down to earth a few posters who think we are 1 player from a final four team. (yes I read this today)
    Not trying to pick apart you're argument but we have Scott returning. I'd say he was a main scorer with almost 14 ppg.

    Who cares how the coaches pick us pre-season? We will automatically have bias against us because of how we finished this season.

    If we end of 5th or 6th in the conference, we should be in the NCAAs unless we bomb the non-conf.

    I really think you bring up great points about tempering our expectations but another point to consider is that we have at least three players with proven effectiveness in major conference competition (Scott, Babb, and Allen). You could even add Godfrey to that list.

    Overall, you're right. We are Iowa State and have had our expectations set too high way too many times and had it come back to bite us in the rear. This time though, it is more justified than any other instance.



  8. #8
    All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Cy's Taxi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,209
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: 2011/12 Season realistic approach

    I would argue that this team was 1 player away from being a final four team. If we had Lebron or Kobe, I believe we would make the final four....



  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 864,063, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    55,819
    Points
    864,063
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,778
    Given: 1,498

    Re: 2011/12 Season realistic approach

    I don't see any problems with expectations. I do question why we have the daily post about the need to temper expectations.

    If we're big boys and girls here, it's OK to have expectations. If they're not met, then we'll deal with it later. In the case of this team, I don't see any reason to think we'll deal with it at all.

    I fully expect to be waiting at this time next year for our NCAA tournament game on Thursday or Friday, and then I'll expect to win it.


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 86,475, Level: 91
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 975
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    BigBake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    U'dale
    Posts
    5,575
    Points
    86,475
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 54

    Re: 2011/12 Season realistic approach

    Quote Originally Posted by Cy's Taxi View Post
    I would argue that this team was 1 player away from being a final four team. If we had Lebron or Kobe, I believe we would make the final four....
    Yes, I can't argue with that.


    Fanatic #25

  11. #11
    Speechless
    Points: 864,063, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    55,819
    Points
    864,063
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,778
    Given: 1,498

    Re: 2011/12 Season realistic approach

    Frankly, as to the failure issue, I believe that Fred considers any season without the NCAAs a failure. I feel fine to feel that way next year.


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 86,475, Level: 91
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 975
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    BigBake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    U'dale
    Posts
    5,575
    Points
    86,475
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 54

    Re: 2011/12 Season realistic approach

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    I don't see any problems with expectations. I do question why we have the daily post about the need to temper expectations.
    You're correct...but I've been seeing more threads started to discuss what seed we'll be next year.

    My message was probably lost in translation but I just wanted to have an honest level headed discussion about next year and what's realistic and what we should expect year 2 in to this coaching regime.


    Fanatic #25

  13. #13
    Speechless
    Points: 281,262, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    16,599
    Points
    281,262
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 209
    Given: 19

    Re: 2011/12 Season realistic approach

    NCAA is very realistic for next year. Have you noticed how many crappy teams made it this year?



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 86,475, Level: 91
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 975
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    BigBake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    U'dale
    Posts
    5,575
    Points
    86,475
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 54

    Re: 2011/12 Season realistic approach

    Quote Originally Posted by gocubs2118 View Post
    NCAA is very realistic for next year. Have you noticed how many crappy teams made it this year?
    Yes, and I also noticed how Colorado didn't make it.


    Fanatic #25

  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 729,919, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    47,445
    Points
    729,919
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,290
    Given: 632

    Re: 2011/12 Season realistic approach

    Get out of the city with your realistic approach



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FOX
  • Iowa State vs. Baylor
  • September 27, 2014
  • 07:20 PM