Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: My rant...

  1. #1
    Prospect
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    My rant...

    I listen to KXNO a lot at work, and these commercials that tell us to do the civil service registration are really bad. It wouldnt bother me so much but I hear them multiple times a day. These commercials rival mediacom for overall crappiness



  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 101,395, Level: 99
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,655
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,054
    Points
    101,395
    Level
    99
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

    Re: My rant...

    Quote Originally Posted by jman84 View Post
    I listen to KXNO a lot at work, and these commercials that tell us to do the civil service registration are really bad. It wouldnt bother me so much but I hear them multiple times a day. These commercials rival mediacom for overall crappiness

    I rarely listen to KXNO but those are probably public service messages. Meaning they couldn't sell enough advertising but they have to fill the slot anyway.

    Probably had a bunch of sponsors leave after Matt P moved to Vermont.



  3. #3
    All-Star
    Points: 33,174, Level: 56
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,076
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    bpmcclain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    1,179
    Points
    33,174
    Level
    56
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 6

    Re: My rant...

    Quote Originally Posted by jman84 View Post
    I listen to KXNO a lot at work, and these commercials that tell us to do the civil service registration are really bad. It wouldnt bother me so much but I hear them multiple times a day. These commercials rival mediacom for overall crappiness
    I dont know if it can get worse than mediacom commercials...



  4. #4
    All-Star
    Points: 28,634, Level: 51
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,957
    Points
    28,634
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: My rant...

    What is the civil service registration?



  5. #5
    Rookie
    Points: 42,487, Level: 63
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 463
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Brentwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Altoona
    Posts
    459
    Points
    42,487
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: My rant...

    They have a bunch that annoy/make me uncomfortable. The coughing babies and the victims of sexual abuse are the two worst ones IMO.


    "If I got mad everytime someone puked in a pool I would hate a lot of people"

  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 211,265, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    16,447
    Points
    211,265
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 527
    Given: 275

    Re: My rant...

    Quote Originally Posted by edr247 View Post
    What is the civil service registration?
    I believe its when you have to sign up when you are 18, basically for the draft in case we have a world war or something terrible like that?



  7. #7
    Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Points: 598,781, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Mr Janny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    22,134
    Points
    598,781
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,176
    Given: 109

    Re: My rant...

    Quote Originally Posted by Senolcyc View Post
    I rarely listen to KXNO but those are probably public service messages. Meaning they couldn't sell enough advertising but they have to fill the slot anyway.

    Probably had a bunch of sponsors leave after Matt P moved to Vermont.
    Yep. There are certain times when PSA's are scheduled, but a lot of the time they are used as filler, when they need to back time up to the top of the hour for a national feed or any rigidly scheduled segment. The feed for national updates comes in at a specific time, and board engineers will try to time their breaks so that they can transition smoothly right into these segments. PSA's help with that. On music stations, the DJ will sometimes pick a song based on how long it is in order to leave them with as little fill time as possible before their breaks.


    "What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

    "Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

    "Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 728,883, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    47,213
    Points
    728,883
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,146
    Given: 599

    Re: My rant...

    Selective service



  9. #9
    Pro
    Points: 38,957, Level: 60
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 93
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    2,953
    Points
    38,957
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 12

    Re: My rant...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Janny View Post
    Yep. There are certain times when PSA's are scheduled, but a lot of the time they are used as filler, when they need to back time up to the top of the hour for a national feed or any rigidly scheduled segment. The feed for national updates comes in at a specific time, and board engineers will try to time their breaks so that they can transition smoothly right into these segments. PSA's help with that. On music stations, the DJ will sometimes pick a song based on how long it is in order to leave them with as little fill time as possible before their breaks.
    They're also used to show community "involvement" and public service (hence the name) by the station to the community for when the station's license is up for renewal.



  10. #10
    Legend
    Points: 314,074, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    CyCrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    In a Bunker
    Posts
    14,573
    Points
    314,074
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 137
    Given: 26

    Re: My rant...

    Quote Originally Posted by Brentwood View Post
    They have a bunch that annoy/make me uncomfortable. The coughing babies and the victims of sexual abuse are the two worst ones IMO.
    Ya the coughing baby one with Jeff Gordon is horrible. I have gotten to the point it cracks me and my coworker up when we hear it.



  11. #11
    Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Points: 598,781, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Mr Janny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    22,134
    Points
    598,781
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,176
    Given: 109

    Re: My rant...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ms3r4ISU View Post
    They're also used to show community "involvement" and public service (hence the name) by the station to the community for when the station's license is up for renewal.
    You're right. There are scheduled times when PSA's are supposed to run, but a lot of times they are also used as filler. They come in really handy when you're trying to get up to the top of the hour for the news and you don't want to stretch the weather forecast into a 2 minute segment. Instead, I'll save my voice and the audience can hear about teen pregnancy.


    "What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

    "Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

    "Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

  12. #12
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 10,088, Level: 30
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 462
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Cyvilian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Papillion NE
    Posts
    339
    Points
    10,088
    Level
    30
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 12

    Re: My rant...

    Uhhh, that's Selective Service registration. Civil Service registration is something completely different. BTW, if you're a guy and apply for a Federal Civil Service job, you'd better have registered for Selective Service.



  13. #13
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 39,505, Level: 61
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 845
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    tman24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,025
    Points
    39,505
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 17

    Re: My rant...

    im tired of that pertusis jeff gordon commercial. the cough makes me mute the computer.


    Hooray for Metaphors!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Fox Sports 1
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM