Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 2

Why i hate the Players Union...(LONG)

For me, this Demaurice Smith see's this as his defining moment....to me, he comes off as one of those pesky little dogs that continues to bite at the big dogs legs until the big dog bites back.....

Seriously - have you seen this guy is now demanding that all College Players ban the NFL draft ceremonies.....are you serious??? Does he realize that these players have worked for 10 years or more for this one moment in time and he's going to deprive them for something that will does not currently affect them as they're not under contract....To me, the Players Union is doing things that no other union could ever do.....

Name a company in which a successful employee can walk into the CEO's office and demand to see the companies financial records to evaluate if he's getting paid enough....its not like these guys financial considerations are over anything other then greed - and the union is at the heart of greed - always has been. Although Unions have served much bigger benefits in the past when worker conditions were pitiful, we've now just sent those pitiful jobs overseas for less fortunate people to do the undesirable jobs...

Back to the College Kids, suddenly their being used as a pawn similar to two divorced parents - pitting one against the other and they've actually not even met yet.....its truly pitiful....according to many sources the rookie salary cap was agreed upon, which should benefit the veterans because now you dont have a rookie coming out making 10-15 million a year, which they shouldnt....

Back to the Union....Now if the union was striving to improve the conditions for past nfl players i could totally see that....they need a better care package after their careers are over because the impacts etc that are endured can cause lingering problems and those problems should be addressed....But, instead of fighting for those rights, their adding in there that they need more money for the players.....why? Why does the guy sitting on the bench and never logs a minute all season deserve more then 250,000?????

To me, the whole basis is greed for greed....not for improving the conditions of the employees which is why unions were first created.....now its just to satisfy the greed of the players....yeah the owners are greedy....but they've invested a lot of money into these organizations, i dont see any players coming to the aid of these owners as they plummet from success to failures for various reasons.....The company owners should reap the benefits of their investments, while at the same time, things should be improved for medical treatments for both current and past players. The welfare of the employee is a reason to strike, not adding another zero to the end of a paycheck.....

If the union forces this hand with the NFL about the players not attending the draft, the union will be setting themselves up for a huge backlash.....fans enjoy the draft, this is not crossing the picket line as without a contract i can guarantee you that the union is not financially backing these players and if they are, do they intend to support all the players eligible for the draft or only the marquee names....

To me the Union needs to back off, let the kids fulfill a dream and work on getting an agreement done rather then working to divide the sides!!!!

Last edited by KMAC_ATTACK; 03-15-2011 at 12:08 PM.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,278
    Given: 1,114

Re: Why i hate the Players Union...(LONG)

I'm not a union guy in general, but I think that this situation is exactly where they are useful and needed. The care for guys whose bodies are wrecked by the game and the idea of playing extra games (i.e. doing more damage) are exactly where unions should be stepping in.

Some of their ideas might be too much, but if they stand for these two main ideas, the union is the one on the right side of this thing.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Pro
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 787
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

both sides are at fault in this not just the players union. they both want too much money is basically what it comes down to. they both just need to agree to spend more of the 9 billion dollar pie on things other than players salaries. no player should make more than 5 million a year. the minimum of 250K is also really high since they get a lot of stuff paid for. the salaries should range from about 150K - 5 million or so. this would allow owners to lower ticket prices and would let more people come to the game, they also could lower beer/food prices so we dont have to spend 8 bucks for a damn beer. the nfl could do a lot better things w/ its 9 billion than pay players way too much or give owners even more money. same thing for baseball and the yankees...****ers. but thats for another topic

Pro
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 895
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 18

They haven't gone forward with this Idea yet. Today on Sportcenter, Kiper's projected number 1 pick said that he had never been contacted about that. So if they are planning on it they haven't started it yet.

KCCO

Follow me on Twitter: @datBASS3
    Follow Iowa State Drumline on Twitter: @ISUDrumline or on FB

Pro
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 427
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 37

The players want to see the owner's books, especially the audited money because the owners are saying they are losing money. The players just want to see the exact financial information. 9 billion dollars is what is on the table, so I find it very reasonable to ask the owners to open up their books. If there is nothing to hide, then why hide it?

On the topic of the college players going or not going to the draft, I really don't care. The NFLPA is not forcing the college kids to not go, they are just suggesting it. So, the college kids can all just ignore the NFLPA and go.

Lastly, the owners have been gearing up for a lockout the past two years. By creating that tv contract to pay them if they get locked out from CBS and FOX, though that contract was just recently voided by a federal judge. So if the NFLPA is acting a little vicious, I don't find a problem with it, the owners have not done much to help solve the issue.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,318
    Given: 125

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyeh8r View Post
    both sides are at fault in this not just the players union. they both want too much money is basically what it comes down to. they both just need to agree to spend more of the 9 billion dollar pie on things other than players salaries. no player should make more than 5 million a year. the minimum of 250K is also really high since they get a lot of stuff paid for. the salaries should range from about 150K - 5 million or so. this would allow owners to lower ticket prices and would let more people come to the game, they also could lower beer/food prices so we dont have to spend 8 bucks for a damn beer. the nfl could do a lot better things w/ its 9 billion than pay players way too much or give owners even more money. same thing for baseball and the yankees...****ers. but thats for another topic
    Haha, it's funny you think they would actually do that.

The owners have more money and therefore all of the power, they are the problem. They're withholding the information because they know they're sticking it to the players and if they release the financials it will be all to clear.

Legend
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 171
    Given: 31

I don't blame the players one bit. The NFL has the most lopsided, owner friendly deal already. What other occupation can you get hurt on the job then fired because of it? What kind of "contract" is it if one side can terminate it at any time while they can also fine you for not living up to it? Even those "last guys on the bench" are getting beat up every day and are going to have to live with a body thats been torn apart, for even one year in the league, you telling me that is worth $200,000, take home about what, $90,000 after taxes, dues, agent, fees, etc. are paid.

Why SHOULD the players attend the draft? It's just a reality show that has been propped up even more to put more money in the owner's pockets.

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Starter
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 594
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

I am more with the players than owners here. The NFL is the biggest revenue sport, and the owners want a bigger piece of the pie compared to the previous deal, along with adding games, but keeping player's salaries the same.

The owners are the ones who are greedy here.

Not to derail, but the NBA collective barganing is going to be a mess, because that league is in financial trouble.

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 575
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 37

Quote Originally Posted by KMAC_ATTACK View Post
    Name a company in which a successful employee can walk into the CEO's office and demand to see the companies financial records to evaluate if he's getting paid enough....its not like these guys financial considerations are over anything other then greed - and the union is at the heart of greed - always has been. Although Unions have served much bigger benefits in the past when worker conditions were pitiful, we've now just sent those pitiful jobs overseas for less fortunate people to do the undesirable jobs...

!!
    The players want to see audited financials to see where most of the spendings have gone, whether the "unfavorable" financial situations experienced by the owners are legit. How much money they spent for themselves disguised as "management fees, etc".

It's a reasonable demand. On the other hand, if turn out the unfavorable situations are legit, I expect the players to act accordingly.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,259
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 165
    Given: 96

I repsect the owners' right to make money and I respect the players' right to tell the owners to shove it if they don't think they're getting a fair deal. They need to come to an agreement and they eventually will. Neither party will be willing to let that much money go down the drain for very long.

All-Star
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 148
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 96

Quote Originally Posted by azepp View Post
    I repsect the owners' right to make money and I respect the players' right to tell the owners to shove it if they don't think they're getting a fair deal. They need to come to an agreement and they eventually will. Neither party will be willing to let that much money go down the drain for very long.
    I agree. The owners can start a new business if they want to make more money. Or maybe Tom Brady can wash cars if he wants to try and make more money. Both sides have options. They're people and aren't forced to be in the NFL.

I'm not too worried because both sides are greedy enough to not **** away this money.

Walk On
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 205
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

Millionaires vs. Billionaires. Both are saying things I agree with, but both are saying some real stupid things. Both will still be very well off after this. Who loses? The fans!

Starter
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,572
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 10

It's perfectly reasonable for the players to ask to see the financials when owners are claiming to lose money on BILLIONS of dollars of revenue. If the owners are losing as much money as they say they are then there is some serious mismanagement.

read this post quickly - it might not last long

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 19

I am all for the players in this situation. They have every right to demand to see the books. It was the owners who opted out early from their current collective bargaining agreement because they were supposedly losing profits, so show us the proof. They aren't asking for chump change here. They are asking for an additional BILLION dollars off the TOP (making a total of 2 billion off the top for the owners) and then sharing what is remaining with the players.

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by 3TrueFans View Post
    Haha, it's funny you think they would actually do that.

The owners have more money and therefore all of the power, they are the problem. They're withholding the information because they know they're sticking it to the players and if they release the financials it will be all to clear.
    Here is a question for you? Do you think the players have the know-how or savvy to market the game of football and make it the billions of dollars that it currently does? These guys can't even spell their names. You say the owners are rich, but most of that is from their personal fortunes independent of football. Not from actually sucking all this football money into their bank accounts. The fact is if these players believe they are being treated unfairly, they can try and get a real job. No one is forcing them to play in the NFL. Go make that kind of money elsewhere. Wait, they can't. The NFL has every right to fight the union here.