Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 9,225, Level: 28
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 125
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    275
    Points
    9,225
    Level
    28
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    SMITH: Cyclones nab No. 7 seed, head to Durham

    Fanatics,

    The wait is over. After watching all the other brackets get filled out, Iowa State finally found out its destination on Monday. The Cyclone earned the No. 7 seed and will face Marist (30-2) in the first round on Saturday at 10 a.m.

    Here's my story with notes about the Red Foxes, a quick turnaround and Cameron Indoor Stadium.

    http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/basketball/cyclones-nab-no-7-seed-head-to-durham


    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/IanWsmith3

  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 107,389, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    tm3308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Corydon/Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    5,312
    Points
    107,389
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 277
    Given: 267

    Re: SMITH: Cyclones nab No. 7 seed, head to Durham

    Iowa and ISU both get tough draws. Marist is ranked #19 in the AP and draws a 10 seed, Gonzaga is ranked #20 and draws an 11 seed. WTF?


    “Hawks tell us we have no future, and we let you know what we think of Hawk fans, which is a lower opinion all the time.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

    “With the exception of tm3308. He is a good contributor on this site. It is almost to the point that I question if he is actually a hawk fan. ” -- Cyclonestate78 7/25/2011

    “He broke the mold. If he wrote the OP, I would have read the whole thing.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 95,919, Level: 96
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,131
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cyclones500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    9,048
    Points
    95,919
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 200
    Given: 468

    Re: SMITH: Cyclones nab No. 7 seed, head to Durham

    I was at work and couldn't watch the Selection Show -- checked the seeds a couple hours later.

    I was braced for the Sisters getting an 8 seed. Glad to see it landed at 7, because I knew a 6 was a stretch.

    Would've preferred Xavier to Duke (expected UCLA as a 2, not a 3). Have to get past Marist, but I think Bill will get it done.

    Whether it was 6-7-8, I don't expect a Sweet 16 — but an 8/9 is 50-50 and a 1 seed is a certain out. At least in a 2-7, I hold hope for a shocker.

    For the second straight year, the team played above my preseason expectations leading up to the tournament. A little extra gravy would be nice.



  4. #4
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 56,432, Level: 73
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 618
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    pulse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,660
    Points
    56,432
    Level
    73
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51
    Given: 52

    Re: SMITH: Cyclones nab No. 7 seed, head to Durham

    Marist & Gonzaga didn't have great RPIs, so that is reflected in their seeds.



  5. #5
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 67,420, Level: 80
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 630
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteran50000 Experience Points
    mred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    SE WI
    Posts
    4,917
    Points
    67,420
    Level
    80
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 0

    Re: SMITH: Cyclones nab No. 7 seed, head to Durham

    Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    Marist & Gonzaga didn't have great RPIs, so that is reflected in their seeds.
    They obviously liked the major conference schools this year. Texas was considered a bubble team and got a 9 seed. KSU got an 8 seed. We got a 7 seed. Those were all higher than anyone expected.



  6. #6
    Pro
    Points: 39,251, Level: 61
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,099
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Cyhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    2,783
    Points
    39,251
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 50
    Given: 11

    Re: SMITH: Cyclones nab No. 7 seed, head to Durham

    Quote Originally Posted by mred View Post
    They obviously liked the major conference schools this year. Texas was considered a bubble team and got a 9 seed. KSU got an 8 seed. We got a 7 seed. Those were all higher than anyone expected.
    I think deservedly so. I could be totally off-base here, but there isnt near as much parity in Women's hoops as Men's correct? I think playing a Big 12 schedule is worth a extra bump in the seeding.


    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man"

  7. #7
    All-Star
    Points: 18,059, Level: 41
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 891
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Three4Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    1,899
    Points
    18,059
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 21

    Re: SMITH: Cyclones nab No. 7 seed, head to Durham

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclones500 View Post
    I was at work and couldn't watch the Selection Show -- checked the seeds a couple hours later.

    I was braced for the Sisters getting an 8 seed. Glad to see it landed at 7, because I knew a 6 was a stretch.

    Would've preferred Xavier to Duke (expected UCLA as a 2, not a 3). Have to get past Marist, but I think Bill will get it done.

    Whether it was 6-7-8, I don't expect a Sweet 16 — but an 8/9 is 50-50 and a 1 seed is a certain out. At least in a 2-7, I hold hope for a shocker.

    For the second straight year, the team played above my preseason expectations leading up to the tournament. A little extra gravy would be nice.
    First off, you should feel lucky you didn't have to sit through the selection show. What an absolute joke, took an hour to do about 10 minutes worth of work.

    I am ok with our seed, yes I would have preferred a 6 but I'll take the 7 seed. We just have to play ball and see what happens. You only have to be good enough for one game on one day to beat a team, so if we get to play Duke that's the attitude you have to take.



  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 398,571, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    58,786
    Points
    398,571
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 349

    Re: SMITH: Cyclones nab No. 7 seed, head to Durham

    Score predition: 45-44?


    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

  9. #9
    All-Star
    Points: 26,372, Level: 49
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 178
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Sloup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    1,188
    Points
    26,372
    Level
    49
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: SMITH: Cyclones nab No. 7 seed, head to Durham

    As far as hopes that we get to the Sweet 16 again, I don't like that we'll have to play Duke at their place to pull it off.

    As a band member, I'm glad I'll get to see Coach K Court. Should be a fun trip.



  10. #10
    All-Star
    Points: 18,059, Level: 41
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 891
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Three4Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    1,899
    Points
    18,059
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 21

    Re: SMITH: Cyclones nab No. 7 seed, head to Durham

    Quote Originally Posted by tm3308 View Post
    Iowa and ISU both get tough draws. Marist is ranked #19 in the AP and draws a 10 seed, Gonzaga is ranked #20 and draws an 11 seed. WTF?
    Ranking has nothing to do with seeding or even selection into the NCAA tourney.

    Look at their RPI, Strength of Schedule, Wins over top 50 RPI teams, and how they finished the season. They both play in conferences where they dominate, and the rest of the teams are terrible. In the WCC, 6 of the 8 teams have an RPI lower than 190, and in the MAAC, all the teams except Marist are outside the top 100, and Niagara is # 339.



  11. #11
    Walk On
    Points: 12,282, Level: 33
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 368
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    208
    Points
    12,282
    Level
    33
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: SMITH: Cyclones nab No. 7 seed, head to Durham

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclones500 View Post
    I was at work and couldn't watch the Selection Show -- checked the seeds a couple hours later.

    I was braced for the Sisters getting an 8 seed. Glad to see it landed at 7, because I knew a 6 was a stretch.

    Would've preferred Xavier to Duke (expected UCLA as a 2, not a 3). Have to get past Marist, but I think Bill will get it done.

    Whether it was 6-7-8, I don't expect a Sweet 16 — but an 8/9 is 50-50 and a 1 seed is a certain out. At least in a 2-7, I hold hope for a shocker.

    For the second straight year, the team played above my preseason expectations leading up to the tournament. A little extra gravy would be nice.
    I honestly like playong Duke instead of Xavier. Now playing them there is the deathknell but X would be a really tough out. 2 active twin towers of theirs would have overworked Pop and no one else can bang with them like they do it!
    Gonzaga is a very good team and Iowa will find that out.
    Iowa's guards have faced no one like Vandersloot!


    Making a difference everyday!

  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 113,924, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Tornado man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    7,860
    Points
    113,924
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 126

    Re: SMITH: Cyclones nab No. 7 seed, head to Durham

    Quote Originally Posted by Three4Cy View Post
    Ranking has nothing to do with seeding or even selection into the NCAA tourney.

    Look at their RPI, Strength of Schedule, Wins over top 50 RPI teams, and how they finished the season. They both play in conferences where they dominate, and the rest of the teams are terrible. In the WCC, 6 of the 8 teams have an RPI lower than 190, and in the MAAC, all the teams except Marist are outside the top 100, and Niagara is # 339.
    This is why I wonder if the committee really watches lots of games, and knows their basketball, or just relies on the data. The RPI of teams was really followed closely.
    If just looking at numbers is the trick, then have a computer do the brackets, or gather some math whizzes from Snedecor Hall to do it. You don't even have to know the game.



  13. #13
    Pro
    Points: 42,384, Level: 63
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 566
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    3,371
    Points
    42,384
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 32

    Re: SMITH: Cyclones nab No. 7 seed, head to Durham

    You have to give Marist credit, but at the same time, other than Louisville and Houston, they have no other wins to teams inside the top 100 in RPI. I think Marist is an excellent program, but I don't think their resume deserves much higher of a seed. Actually, a 10 seed, means 37-40, so that is 2 seeds higher than their RPI.



  14. #14
    Prospect
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    9
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: SMITH: Cyclones nab No. 7 seed, head to Durham

    Quote Originally Posted by twistedredbird View Post
    You have to give Marist credit, but at the same time, other than Louisville and Houston, they have no other wins to teams inside the top 100 in RPI. I think Marist is an excellent program, but I don't think their resume deserves much higher of a seed. Actually, a 10 seed, means 37-40, so that is 2 seeds higher than their RPI.
    Honestly anywhere from 7-10 is a curse having to face #1 or #2 in round 2. And you have to go beyond the RPI ranking and do a sight test - yeah Marist's RPI was dragged down due to a very weak year in the MAAC but then you look at what they did to those teams ... pretty much destroyed each one of them (which if you are supposed to be a top 25 team you should)

    The talk of them being a 5 or 6 seed is silly (you beat St. Bonnies and beat Ariz. St - game was canceled - maybe you can talk) But 8/9/10 is the range they should have been in.



  15. #15
    Prospect RedFoxesFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    7
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: SMITH: Cyclones nab No. 7 seed, head to Durham

    Quote Originally Posted by Nomar33 View Post
    Honestly anywhere from 7-10 is a curse having to face #1 or #2 in round 2. And you have to go beyond the RPI ranking and do a sight test - yeah Marist's RPI was dragged down due to a very weak year in the MAAC but then you look at what they did to those teams ... pretty much destroyed each one of them (which if you are supposed to be a top 25 team you should)

    The talk of them being a 5 or 6 seed is silly (you beat St. Bonnies and beat Ariz. St - game was canceled - maybe you can talk) But 8/9/10 is the range they should have been in.
    Statistically 8's and 9's fare worse than 10's so I'm good with 10.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FOX
  • Iowa State vs. Baylor
  • September 27, 2014
  • 07:20 PM