Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26

Thread: New Laptop Help

  1. #1
    Pro
    Points: 52,343, Level: 70
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 207
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Tank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Niceville, FL
    Posts
    2,279
    Points
    52,343
    Level
    70
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 12

    New Laptop Help

    Alright computer savvy people on here - I am looking to buy a new laptop (non Mac) and was wondering what people have on here that has been successful for them.

    I am not looking to play games or anything like that but am going to use predominately for iTunes, Microsoft Office, watch movies, etc... (no gaming).

    So, what should I be looking for in memory, processor, brand, etc...?

    Any help for me, since I am officially computer illiterate, would be great. Thanks.



  2. #2
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 34,720, Level: 57
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 730
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    fccy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Forest City
    Posts
    3,501
    Points
    34,720
    Level
    57
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 365

    Re: New Laptop Help

    According to my friend who is an IT guy at NIACC, go with HP or Toshiba (I got a HP and am happy). Others can fill in specifics more, but I would think that a dual-core processor with 3GB RAM would be good. If you can wait a little, checl the stores for sales, as the newest laptops should be coming out soon, and last year's will be going on sale.



  3. #3
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 46,281, Level: 66
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 669
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cy4Patriots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,550
    Points
    46,281
    Level
    66
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 16

    Re: New Laptop Help

    Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    Alright computer savvy people on here - I am looking to buy a new laptop (non Mac) and was wondering what people have on here that has been successful for them.

    I am not looking to play games or anything like that but am going to use predominately for iTunes, Microsoft Office, watch movies, etc... (no gaming).

    So, what should I be looking for in memory, processor, brand, etc...?

    Any help for me, since I am officially computer illiterate, would be great. Thanks.

    Everyone is going to have a different opinion on all of that. IMO I have had good luck on HP (some here have not) and not from Best Buy, but though HP directly. Why go directly to them? Because, if anything goes wrong, they worked with me to send me a new one in a week. Its a solid warranty. IMO I would never buy from Best Buy, my aunt got each of here 3 kids a computer from there and all 3 were different models and brands and they had to replace all 3 hard drives and were without a computer for weeks at a time (some people have had good luck with them).

    I own 3 HP computers at the moment (2 laptops and 1 desktop) and they all have worked perfect with no issues. You can customize all of them to your liking.

    But, when you post a question like this prepare to hear just about every brand available on the market.

    My personal favorite and I currently own one...
    HP ENVY 17 3D series | HP® Official Store

    I am an IT professional


    Last edited by Cy4Patriots; 03-14-2011 at 07:59 PM.

  4. #4
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 46,281, Level: 66
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 669
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cy4Patriots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,550
    Points
    46,281
    Level
    66
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 16

    Re: New Laptop Help

    Quote Originally Posted by fccy View Post
    According to my friend who is an IT guy at NIACC, go with HP or Toshiba (I got a HP and am happy). Others can fill in specifics more, but I would think that a dual-core processor with 3GB RAM would be good. If you can wait a little, checl the stores for sales, as the newest laptops should be coming out soon, and last year's will be going on sale.
    4GB RAM is ideal for today's computing. Not a must, but ideal. Another GB does make a difference.



  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 560,102, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    ISUAgronomist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Back in Iowa!!!!!!!!
    Posts
    21,356
    Points
    560,102
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 196
    Given: 118

    Re: New Laptop Help

    I second the notion of buying directly from the manufacturer. You can turn the overhead the retail store tacks on into better components (CPU/RAM/etc.)

    I have an HP that has worked great for nearly 5 years now for home use. My work laptop is nearly a year old and is a Toshiba and I like it (did come with a bit more bloat software than I'd like but that's easy to remove).



  6. #6
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 60,890, Level: 76
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 760
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    aauummm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    In an RV Park, far away
    Posts
    3,694
    Points
    60,890
    Level
    76
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 61
    Given: 544

    Re: New Laptop Help

    Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    Alright computer savvy people on here - I am looking to buy a new laptop (non Mac) and was wondering what people have on here that has been successful for them.

    I am not looking to play games or anything like that but am going to use predominately for iTunes, Microsoft Office, watch movies, etc... (no gaming).

    So, what should I be looking for in memory, processor, brand, etc...?

    Any help for me, since I am officially computer illiterate, would be great. Thanks.
    I've had my HP ZD8000 series laptop now for 5 years. Bought it new on Ebay. The only thing I have done to it was replace the LCD screen last month. Bought a new screen online for $118 and installed it myself. I use it exclusively for traveling. Someday I will buy a newer model HP laptop but this one may last for another 5-10 years.



  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 52,343, Level: 70
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 207
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Tank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Niceville, FL
    Posts
    2,279
    Points
    52,343
    Level
    70
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 12

    Re: New Laptop Help

    Quote Originally Posted by Cy4Patriots View Post
    Everyone is going to have a different opinion on all of that. IMO I have had good luck on HP (some here have not) and not from Best Buy, but though HP directly. Why go directly to them? Because, if anything goes wrong, they worked with me to send me a new one in a week. Its a solid warranty. IMO I would never buy from Best Buy, my aunt got each of here 3 kids a computer from there and all 3 were different models and brands and they had to replace all 3 hard drives and were without a computer for weeks at a time (some people have had good luck with them).

    I own 3 HP computers at the moment (2 laptops and 1 desktop) and they all have worked perfect with no issues. You can customize all of them to your liking.

    But, when you post a question like this prepare to hear just about every brand available on the market.

    My personal favorite and I currently own one...
    HP ENVY 17 3D series | HP® Official Store

    I am an IT professional

    I expect this and actually welcome it b/c I want to know what brands, models, memory size, etc... people have had success with and from that I will research those brands and models. I am in a unique situation b/c I can't just travel to a store (live in South Korea) where English is fluent and ask these kinds of questions and calling a specialist (I am 14 hours ahead of CST) is very difficult.

    So, all opinions are welcomed, thanks.



  8. #8
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 46,281, Level: 66
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 669
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cy4Patriots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,550
    Points
    46,281
    Level
    66
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 16

    Re: New Laptop Help

    Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    I expect this and actually welcome it b/c I want to know what brands, models, memory size, etc... people have had success with and from that I will research those brands and models. I am in a unique situation b/c I can't just travel to a store (live in South Korea) where English is fluent and ask these kinds of questions and calling a specialist (I am 14 hours ahead of CST) is very difficult.

    So, all opinions are welcomed, thanks.
    Well, as an added bonus if you were going to buy from HP directly and customize it, they are shipped from China.



  9. #9
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 60,890, Level: 76
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 760
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    aauummm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    In an RV Park, far away
    Posts
    3,694
    Points
    60,890
    Level
    76
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 61
    Given: 544

    Re: New Laptop Help

    Quote Originally Posted by Cy4Patriots View Post
    Everyone is going to have a different opinion on all of that. IMO I have had good luck on HP (some here have not) and not from Best Buy, but though HP directly. Why go directly to them? Because, if anything goes wrong, they worked with me to send me a new one in a week. Its a solid warranty. IMO I would never buy from Best Buy, my aunt got each of here 3 kids a computer from there and all 3 were different models and brands and they had to replace all 3 hard drives and were without a computer for weeks at a time (some people have had good luck with them).

    I own 3 HP computers at the moment (2 laptops and 1 desktop) and they all have worked perfect with no issues. You can customize all of them to your liking.

    But, when you post a question like this prepare to hear just about every brand available on the market.

    My personal favorite and I currently own one...
    HP ENVY 17 3D series | HP® Official Store

    I am an IT professional
    Wow, I like your laptop! Maybe mine will last long enough that HP introduces another new series and then I can get one like yours on closeout!



  10. #10
    All-Star
    Points: 42,376, Level: 63
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 574
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    dahliaclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,329
    Points
    42,376
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 124
    Given: 151

    Re: New Laptop Help

    Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    Alright computer savvy people on here - I am looking to buy a new laptop (non Mac) and was wondering what people have on here that has been successful for them.

    I am not looking to play games or anything like that but am going to use predominately for iTunes, Microsoft Office, watch movies, etc... (no gaming).

    So, what should I be looking for in memory, processor, brand, etc...?

    Any help for me, since I am officially computer illiterate, would be great. Thanks.
    anything HP. period



  11. #11
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 46,281, Level: 66
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 669
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cy4Patriots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,550
    Points
    46,281
    Level
    66
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 16

    Re: New Laptop Help

    Quote Originally Posted by dahliaclone View Post
    anything HP. period



  12. #12
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 46,281, Level: 66
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 669
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cy4Patriots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,550
    Points
    46,281
    Level
    66
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 16

    Re: New Laptop Help

    I'm halfway surprised about the number of HP people here. This is a good thing.



  13. #13
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 6,583, Level: 24
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 467
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Agkistrodon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Fayetteville, AR
    Posts
    255
    Points
    6,583
    Level
    24
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 7

    Re: New Laptop Help

    I had a Dell Inspiron 1150 that I bought in 2004. It worked great. Actually, it still "works" but the hinges started breaking back in 2008. I hook it up to a monitor now and use it for running simulations.

    I purchased a Dell Inspiron 1420 in September of 2008 because I got a great deal. This laptop worked great for about a year, then turned into a nightmare. I would go for weeks, getting a BSOD almost daily, then it would be fine for a while, then problems would start again. Last summer it started overheating frequently. I opened it and cleaned out dust several times, thinking this might help with cooling/ventilation, but it did no good. Finally on Thanksgiving day 2010 it overheated for the last time and the motherboard got cooked.

    I got a good Black Friday deal on a Sony Vaio EB series the next day (I guess if nothing else it picked a good time to die) and this laptop has worked perfectly since.

    Back to Dell, a friend of mine also purchased an Inspiron 1420 around the same time in 2008, and he had even worse luck than I did. He went through 2 hard drives, 2 motherboards, a new screen, and at least 3 sets of RAM. Also, Dell customer service sucks, big time.



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 121,139, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ianoconnor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    7,262
    Points
    121,139
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 348
    Given: 699

    Re: New Laptop Help

    Check out the Dell outlet. You can find some great deals there. That's where I got my Dell XPS M1330 for $560 in Jan '10.

    Dell Outlet | Refurbished Computers, Laptops, PCs & More | Dell



  15. #15
    Pro
    Points: 52,343, Level: 70
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 207
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Tank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Niceville, FL
    Posts
    2,279
    Points
    52,343
    Level
    70
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 12

    Re: New Laptop Help

    Anybody here on have a Sony Vaio laptop? Just wondering what people think of it, thanks.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FOX
  • Iowa State vs. Baylor
  • September 27, 2014
  • 07:20 PM