Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Jake Sullivan Article

Decent article from the Register on Jake Sullivan's mission for Kingdom Hoops.
    Kingdom Hoops is Jake Sullivan's vision above basketball | The Des Moines Register | DesMoinesRegister.com

Addict
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,839
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 8

Re: Jake Sullivan Article

This is a good read

Go Cubs Go!

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 3
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Main words were right at the begining of the article....FOR PROFIT!!! This is a PR move and I'm sure was initiated by someone from his group. However, this article doesn't seem to match the perception of many of the parents that have dealt with Kingdom Hoops.

Vote me in the group that says keep religion out of basketball.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 193
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6

Quote Originally Posted by ISUCyclone06 View Post
    Main words were right at the begining of the article....FOR PROFIT!!! This is a PR move and I'm sure was initiated by someone from his group. However, this article doesn't seem to match the perception of many of the parents that have dealt with Kingdom Hoops.

I'll preface this by saying that I am not a religious person and do not have extensive knowledge when it comes to basketball clubs, camps, leagues, whatever. That said I think there are a few things I don't understand about your comments.

1. Aren't most basketball clubs "for profit"? I hardly think that Jake Sullivan is the exception here. If that is the case then your statement has no bearings.
    2. Being in the advertising/media business I regret your statement about this being a "PR move." Even if it is what is wrong with a company looking to get PR? The articles are not written by Kingdom Hoops, they are written by the news source and Kingdom Hoops has no control over the content of the story. Trust me, PR still has to be relevant to the readers before a media company with print it. Otherwise it's just free advertising and companies don't just let you advertise for free.
    3. I disagree with your statement about keeping religion out of basketball. If you don't like the process that he is taking then you and anyone else has the choice to not support it by not paying for your child to go there. Kingdom hoops is, as you said, for profit, which means that he can choose how he wants to run his business. I don't see the issue. It looks as if he is more about steering kids to make the right decisions in life and less about pressuring people to be of a certain religion. If my child wanted to go there, I would have not problem sending them there.

Sorry, I'm not a usual poster. I usually just read, but I really don't see the issue with Kingdom Hoops. I also am not near the issue, so who knows, I could be wrong.

Last edited by jl112481; 03-14-2011 at 12:44 PM.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 165

Then it should be easy for you, don't send your kid to Kingdom Hoops. Honestly I can't see why it would make a difference to you one way or another.

Pro
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,752
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

I actually have less of a problem with a "for profit" group like this than I do with those damn "non profit" AAU cesspools of corruption. In a profit situation, the organization does things in the open to meet their budget. With a non-profit, I think its perfect reasonable to assume that the organization will be sorely tempted to work behind the scenes to position themselves for an illicit payday.

Besides, if you "keep religion out of basketball" you would also have to support "keep atheism out of basketball"; since atheism is just a religion that believes that there are no real religions.

"Correct me if I'm wrong, Scotty.......but if I kill all the golfers, they'll lock me up and throw away the key!" Carl Spackler

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,088
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 360
    Given: 95

Hopefully he can help these kids out of bad situations and in the process advance their basketball skills. And if he wants to steer these kids to ISU in a completely non-booster way, I'm cool with that too

Starter
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 64
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Wish I could make a living teaching young kids basketball and be a mentor for at risk youth...

Sounds fulfilling- Good luck Jake...

Pro
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 902
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 79

There's nothing wrong with trying to be profitable.
    Using religion ? I don't mind athletes, politicansor public figures use their religions for greater good. I have more problems with these people using religions for their own purposes

Pro
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,679
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 79

that picture cracked me up - i can't believe a guy that looks like a human penguin scored 1,700 pts in the b12 conference.

All-Star
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Wow, don't get hating on Jake and his faith. He isn't doing it as a high school coach, or college coach or even little league coach. He is doing at his private business which people can choose to pay to join. It isn't a bait & switch, unless your really not paying attention you know from the start what you are joining.

I say more power this former Cyclone. I am proud to have an alum who believes in investing into the lives of young people while earning a living. Great young man and yeah I agree, he doesn't look like a 1700 point Big 12 scorer.

BTW, I had forgotten how much his last two years were impacted by injuries, makes you wonder what his scoring total could have been.

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" - Winston Churchill

Starter
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 582
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

The after-school program is the only part of it that I have seen in action but I can say that those kids absolutely are benefiting from the program. I would imagine their basketball skills are helped as well but a lot of those kids need somewhere to be and people to look up and keep them focused on success in the future.

As for the religious aspect (in the afterschool portion at least) it is very subtle and almost non-existent from what I have seen so if you're going to hate on it for that reason I would say don't waste your time. From my experiences.

have you ever got caught outside In a strong rainfall? Yes or NO. If it"s yes, then you might half felt the pane of hard(tought) rain on you head. If it hurt"s then it"s tough. Yes or no. Okay I'm right and you know it.

So alothough you attempt"ed to say you didn"t understnad, now you do. Fair enough?

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 394
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6

Great article; sounds like a great program; he would have my total support from what I read. I'm glad to see it "for profit" as opposed to these "not for profit" organizations that just hike up their personal salaries and other expenses to avoid showing a profit on the bottom line.

Addict
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,839
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 8

These parent's PAY for their kids to be a part of it, not like they are having religion forced down their throats. I see nothing wrong with it, it's really no different than sending your kid to Dowling HS.

Go Cubs Go!

Walk On
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CYdTracked View Post
    These parent's PAY for their kids to be a part of it, not like they are having religion forced down their throats. I see nothing wrong with it, it's really no different than sending your kid to Dowling HS.

What? Aren't you in the group voting to keep religion out of catholic high schools?

BillyClone