square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 774
    Given: 3,098

Tsunami pics - before and after

Here are some amazing photos of the devastation from the Japan tsunami - scroll the bars right and left to see before and after:

Satellite Photos - Japan Before and After Tsunami - Interactive Feature - NYTimes.com

M 7/09

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 538
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 520

Re: Tsunami pics - before and after

Speechless
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 870
    Given: 619

I saw some of these on CNN yesterday as my father-in-law was flipping between channels. Simply unbelievable...

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Pro
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 393
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 257
    Given: 504

Check out this video. Not sure if this has been posted yet.

Gizmodo, the Gadget Guide

They say country music speaks to the heart. Unfortunately, it has to go through your ears to get there.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 666
    Given: 381

Unbelievable. The power of nature is incredible... and Japan was the most prepared country in the world with the best early detection system and strict building codes to resist earthquakes.

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by CloneIce View Post
    Unbelievable. The power of nature is incredible... and Japan was the most prepared country in the world with the best early detection system and strict building codes to resist earthquakes.
    To be honest, I don't think the earthquake itself caused as much death and devastation as the tsunami did. Even with a detection and warning system, I think the waves hit just too quickly after the earthquake, and I don't think anybody was prepared as to how much power or how far in those waves would go. That the death toll is as low as it is (even with the high estimates of 10,000 dead), is a miracle, IMO. Hopefully more people got out safe, but I fear they'll be reporting entire populations of coastal villages and towns wiped out.

The fury of Mother Nature is quite frightening. Huge ships, cargo containers, etc were just tossed around like toys. Houses just ripped up and carried away.

Chile Mac is Back!
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 526
    Given: 1,121

Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    Here are some amazing photos of the devastation from the Japan tsunami - scroll the bars right and left to see before and after:

Satellite Photos - Japan Before and After Tsunami - Interactive Feature - NYTimes.com
    That scroll bar is a really cool interactive tool. Crazy damage.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,540
    Given: 733

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclones_R_GR8 View Post
    Check out this video. Not sure if this has been posted yet.

Gizmodo, the Gadget Guide
    Good Lord...I cannot imagine waking up to a normal day, and then watching your entire world turn upside down like that. It just kept rising and rising, and at some point, you'd have to wonder when it was going to stop. Can't imagine being on top of an ordinary building as others just floated away.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 870
    Given: 619

Quote Originally Posted by CloneIce View Post
    There's simply no way you can possibly prepare for something of this magnitude striking as quickly as it struck.

And as it stands, Japanese infrastructure stood up reasonably well to what is considered to be the most powerful earthquake in Japanese recorded history. However, water is the most powerful force in nature - meteorologists constantly remind the public that one foot of rushing water is enough to sweep a car away. This was 30+ feet of water - no amount of advanced preparation was going to protect them from that.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 666
    Given: 381

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    There's simply no way you can possibly prepare for something of this magnitude striking as quickly as it struck.

And as it stands, Japanese infrastructure stood up reasonably well to what is considered to be the most powerful earthquake in Japanese recorded history. However, water is the most powerful force in nature - meteorologists constantly remind the public that one foot of rushing water is enough to sweep a car away. This was 30+ feet of water - no amount of advanced preparation was going to protect them from that.
    Exactly. Even the most prepared nation in the world was overwhelmed by the magnitude of this disaster. No matter what safeguards were taken, its still impossible to stop something of this magnitude. It sounds like their warning systems and precautions worked as well as they could have, but obviously nothing can stop a wall of water like that. Its a very good thing they build so well for earthquake resistance there, or the death and destruction could have increased exponentially.

Two major tsunamis now in the past 6 years, and many experts are saying that California is due for a large quake in the next 30 years. I think its quite possible that we may see the largest natural disaster in modern American history in the next couple of decades (I consider Katrina to be a man-made disaster, rather than a natural disaster, as it was entirely dependent on man building a city below sea level surrounded by 3 flooding sources, but I would expect a major tsunami to be a larger disaster than Katrina anyway).

Rookie
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 622
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 3

What makes one of these massive natural disasters even worse is knowing someone who is affected by it.

We had a Japanese engineer on my project who moved back to Japan in the middle of February (he didn't want to go back is the worst part). He was in Osaka and his wife and young daughter were up in one of the northern towns that got absolutely devastated. Apparently he talked to his wife right after the quake and she was in the car trying to get to higher ground. He hasn't heard from them since. Apparently he's been trying to get up to that area but it's incredibly difficult.

That Gizmodo video that was posted above is downright scary. To see just how fast that water rose and not knowing where it was going to stop...