Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

ISU postseason tournaments

Do any of you know if ISU was invited to any postseason tourneys this year (ie the CBI) Did ISU turn down those invites, or did no one bother in the first place? Also, would you have liked us to accept the invite if we got one?

Recruit
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 191
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: ISU postseason tournaments

I would have liked to see us accept an invite. Postseason play and extra games can't hurt. Why not give ISU the experience and extra weeks of practice? Also, I think we owe it to DG and JVB to have more games at Hilton.

All-Star
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 1

CBI & CIT are pay-to-play tournaments ($60,000). Plus as has been said on other threads, with Jake being hurt & Scotty needing surgery, Fred decided to pass. The Italy trip this summer should serve the same purpose.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,081
    Given: 575

I'm fine with it. The NCAA tournament is the goal, NIT is the fallback. Freddie should have us in position to compete for those year after year, so anything less doesn't really do anything for me.

I'd love to see this team play again, as from now until September is the year's dead time for me in regard to sports, but I don't see anything to be gained by either of those tournaments.

Pro
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 626
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 168
    Given: 102

CW said in his monday musings that we were not invited (or payed the dough) to get in any of these. I too would of liked to see this team play again, but it sounds like we have too many banged up guys right now. I'm excited to see/hear about that summer trip they're taking. anyone have any details on when it is or who we might be playing?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 474
    Given: 325

I seriously hope this is the last time we're ever hoping to be invited to the CBI or CIT...

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Pro
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,655
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    I seriously hope this is the last time we're ever hoping to be invited to the CBI or CIT...

No ****. I'd rather get kicked in the nuts by Rebecca Lobo.

Addict
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 324
    Given: 287

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonestunners View Post
    Do any of you know if ISU was invited to any postseason tourneys this year (ie the CBI) Did ISU turn down those invites, or did no one bother in the first place? Also, would you have liked us to accept the invite if we got one?

I would like to see us in the NIT. I think it would be decent exposure for a team that hasn't exactly made a good name for itself in recent years. Of course, the NCAA is more desireable, but what is desireable about sitting at home when you could be getting some national attention and significant attention in New York? North Carolina used their NIT for good effect last year. If we made a run in the NIT like North Carolina did, it would get us some good attention.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 15

Quote Originally Posted by Cycsk View Post
    North Carolina used their NIT for good effect last year. If we made a run in the NIT like North Carolina did, it would get us some good attention.
    No they didn't.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I would like to see us in the NIT. I think it would be decent exposure for a team that hasn't exactly made a good name for itself in recent years. Of course, the NCAA is more desireable, but what is desireable about sitting at home when you could be getting some national attention and significant attention in New York? North Carolina used their NIT for good effect last year. If we made a run in the NIT like North Carolina did, it would get us some good attention.
    Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    No they didn't.
    Agreed. UNC has no need to "use the NIT for good effect" - their tradition is stout enough as it is. A team with the tradition of UNC would see playing in the NIT about the same as not playing in any tournament - but you don't just turn down the NIT because it's a respected tournament. But certainly UNC didn't get some kind of magical boost this season from playing in the NIT last season - their name alone gives them that boost.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Pro
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,837
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 80
    Given: 97

As a fan I would have liked to have been able to see us in the CBI; IMO beggars can't be choosers when it comes to post-season play, and it has been SIX VERY LONG YEARS now since any sort of post-season play, even if it is a bit of a joke of a tournament.

With that being written, if our coaching staff didn't think it was in the best interest of the team due to injuries to what is already a very short bench and if we would have gone through the motions anyway and possibly have lost to an inferior team, I can respect that as well.

"The fact that anybody can say anything does not mean that anything anybody says is worth hearing"

Addict
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 324
    Given: 287

Agreed. UNC has no need to "use the NIT for good effect" - their tradition is stout enough as it is. A team with the tradition of UNC would see playing in the NIT about the same as not playing in any tournament - but you don't just turn down the NIT because it's a respected tournament. But certainly UNC didn't get some kind of magical boost this season from playing in the NIT last season - their name alone gives them that boost.

Yet North Carolina did accept the invitation, even at the risk of harming themselves if they didn't do well in the NIT. So, in a down year, North Carolina redeemed themselves quite a bit by making a good run in the NIT. It wasn't "magical," but it showed everyone that there were still a North Carolina that could win, even after a poor season by their standards. Maybe the NIT is "beneath" us, but apparently it wasn't for them.

I don't see any downside to being in the NIT when you are a team like us, except if our key guys are injured and we can't play to our usual level. Frankly, I was hoping to see us make a long run in the NIT. Just because it is not as good as the NCAA doesn't make it worthless.

Explain again to me how making the NIT Final Four wouldn't be good for our program.

Last edited by Cycsk; 03-14-2011 at 03:38 PM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,268
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 49

Yet North Carolina did accept the invitation, even at the risk of harming themselves if they didn't do well in the NIT. So, in a down year, North Carolina redeemed themselves quite a bit by making a good run in the NIT. It wasn't "magical," but it showed everyone that there were still a North Carolina that could win, even after a poor season by their standards. Maybe the NIT is "beneath" us, but apparently it wasn't for them.

I don't see any downside to being in the NIT when you are a team like us, except if our key guys are injured and we can't play to our usual level. Frankly, I was hoping to see us make a long run in the NIT. Just because it is not as good as the NCAA doesn't make it worthless.

Explain again to me how making the NIT Final Four wouldn't be good for our program.
    It would have been great to do this, but its hard to play in a tournament you aren't invited to

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Did I say UNC "harmed" themselves by participating in the NIT? No, in fact, what I said was "a team with the tradition of UNC would see playing in the NIT about the same as not playing in any tournament." Let me "bold" that for you:

And no, I don't think UNC saw their participation in the NIT as "redeeming" - of course they were going to show up as many teams as possible as punishment because they had to "settle" for the NIT, but there was nothing "redeeming" in playing well in the NIT, nor was it a "boost" for this season - none of that comes into play when you largely see yourself as being "above" playing in such a tournament.

Pro
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,167
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 261

As several people mentioned in this thread already, I threw into the NIT thread what CFH said about the other tournaments as possibilities.

CFH was interviewed on the Sunday Morning Sports Machine (KXNO) and said he would most likely turn down any invite, due to our short bench, factoring in Jake was hardly able to walk due to injury in Big XII tourney, JVB's ankle, and Scotty's elbow.