Article on high-strength magnets indirectly mentions ISU
    Hugs4ISU

Article on high-strength magnets indirectly mentions ISU

This is an interesting article on a race to improve high-strength magnets, and make them less dependent on the rare-earth element neodymium, supplies of which are almost entirely controlled by China. Repeatedly mentioned in the article is the U.S. Department of Energy's "Ames Laboratory, in Iowa".

The race to make the world's strongest magnet - CNN.com

All-Star
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 885
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 16

Re: Article on high-strength magnets indirectly mentions ISU

Quote Originally Posted by Hugs4ISU View Post
    This is an interesting article on a race to improve high-strength magnets, and make them less dependent on the rare-earth element neodymium, supplies of which are almost entirely controlled by China. Repeatedly mentioned in the article is the U.S. Department of Energy's "Ames Laboratory, in Iowa".

The race to make the world's strongest magnet - CNN.com
    Although I don't know anything about it, I'm very interested in this field of research. I am hopeful that magnetic energy can be generated, controlled and used in place of electical energy because it should be easier to store and, most importantly, it is safer to transport.

Imagine if we could eliminate batteries and power lines. They have successfully sent magnetic waves to power a laptop. These magnetic waves do not harm people. Sending electrical bolts of energy through someone's body is not as safe.

This could also make electrical devices obsolete causing them to be replaced by magnetic devices which would wholly revamp the world's economy. (OK not in my lifetime but more probable than Al Gore's vision)

Whether you think you can or think you can't;
    you are right. Henry Ford

Starter
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Walk On
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 599
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I actually work at Ames Lab and it was nice to see the mention. Rare earth elements are indeed an issue that has been brewing for quite some time. While this is a fairly new issue to most people, there are already research activities to limit and replace rare earths currently underway. Although its not at all probable that we'll be able to rid us of our dependence on rare earths, the reduction in use and re-opening of US, Canadian, and Australian rare earth mines should allow us to not be so dependent on China.