Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 192
    Given: 174

Interior Painting?

Just bought a short sale that hasn't been lived in in over 2 years. Plan on painting it ourselves, but there are some walls, particularily in the entry way that go up 2 stories. Probably going to need a pro to do it, and thinking if they are going to do that part, we may have them do the whole thing.
    Have always done our own painting before so no experience with getting bids on painting. Any idea what we would be looking at for cost?

Exaggeration is a BILLION times worse than understating.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,383
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 0

Re: Interior Painting?

Quote Originally Posted by wartknight View Post
    Just bought a short sale that hasn't been lived in in over 2 years. Plan on painting it ourselves, but there are some walls, particularily in the entry way that go up 2 stories. Probably going to need a pro to do it, and thinking if they are going to do that part, we may have them do the whole thing.
    Have always done our own painting before so no experience with getting bids on painting. Any idea what we would be looking at for cost?
    I don't know about the cost of getting a pro to do it, but there are extension rods that will let you reach those higher areas.

Don't go cheap on the paint either.

Prospect
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 21
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I have a painting business in Ames and would be willing to give you a free estimate. Please send me an email if you would be interested. tyfred1@gmail.com

Pro
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10

Quote Originally Posted by wartknight View Post

The gf's parents paint sidejobs on the weekends and I usually help on them. I actually have to finish up a 2 bedroom, living room, and kitchen with painted popcorn ceilings (the worst thing next to bathrooms) tomorrow in Van Meter. Her number is 515-975-2696 and her name is Lori Brink. She will be glad to give you a free estimate.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 284
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I just repainted our entire house (1800-2000 sq. ft.) and we have a Cali split. It has some walls that are 24ft+ and we were alright with a ladder and extension poles. As stated before don't skimp on paint, you get what you pay for. I used Sherwin Williams which is a little more than most but I got away with one coat on the entire house. You don't need much experience--just patience and a steady hand to cut it in. It all depends on if you want to take the time to do it right and spend a lot of prep time.

Addict
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 310
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 61

Quote Originally Posted by RideRdie4life View Post
    I just repainted our entire house (1800-2000 sq. ft.) and we have a Cali split. It has some walls that are 24ft+ and we were alright with a ladder and extension poles. As stated before don't skimp on paint, you get what you pay for. I used Sherwin Williams which is a little more than most but I got away with one coat on the entire house. You don't need much experience--just patience and a steady hand to cut it in. It all depends on if you want to take the time to do it right and spend a lot of prep time.
    Ditto. I did the same thing last fall. Same paint and everything.

It all depends how much time you have. I took about a week off and my father in law helped. You get pretty good at it after half a day of work.

Addict
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,535
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 169
    Given: 159

Agreed. If you don't want to paint (or you really suck at it), then hire it out. But don't just let the height scare you away. Extentions and Little Giant (or similar extending type step latters) will easily allow you to reach to the top of those walls.

CCG

Walk On
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 65
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I have a friend that got a quote for someone to paint their living/kitchen/dining room in Omaha. It's an open concept home so not as many walls as it being 3 individual rooms. The quote they got was for $1200. They didn't get any quotes after that and decided to paint on their own so who knows if that's a good quote or not. If the house is empty and you have time to do it yourself, you'd probably save a ton of money.