Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 76

Godfreak Start Next Year?

Keeping in mind we have no idea how the new recruits will actually perform on court next year, here is a major reason why Calvin should start next year:

Toughness/attitude: we lost way too many games because we couldn't get the defensive rebound. I remember way too many possessions by the other team where we made them miss a shot but had to play more defense because they got the offensive rebound. Calvin has proven he can rebound in the Big XII and at a high rate. He also was putting his body on other bigs and holding his own at the end of the season. Looking back on the Fizer/Tinsley team, they were defined by defensive toughness more than anything else. Along with his shot blocking and improving offensive repertoire around the basket, he is the best low-post player we have AT THIS POINT (again without knowing how the new players will actually perform).

"Of course the people don't want war ... the people can always be brought to do the bidding of the leaders. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger."
    -- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

Pro
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 67
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 164
    Given: 118

Re: Godfreak Start Next Year?

Quote Originally Posted by Psiclone View Post
    Keeping in mind we have no idea how the new recruits will actually perform on court next year, here is a major reason why Calvin should start next year:

Toughness/attitude: we lost way too many games because we couldn't get the defensive rebound. I remember way too many possessions by the other team where we made them miss a shot but had to play more defense because they got the offensive rebound. Calvin has proven he can rebound in the Big XII and at a high rate. He also was putting his body on other bigs and holding his own at the end of the season. Looking back on the Fizer/Tinsley team, they were defined by defensive toughness more than anything else. Along with his shot blocking and improving offensive repertoire around the basket, he is the best low-post player we have AT THIS POINT (again without knowing how the new players will actually perform).
    That's a fair way to look at it. The thread about the starting lineup for next year was interesting, but I'd rather see a thread about what the returning guys need to improve on. The infusion of talent from the transfers will be great, but the young guys who played this year will still be counted on to provide big contributions next season.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 6

I love what Calvin brings to the floor. Whether he starts or not he will play a significant role.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,076
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 41

Quote Originally Posted by Psiclone View Post

Good points - especially what he showed for the past 6-7 games.

"We are first and foremost an educational institution that values integrity, honesty and treating others with fairness and respect".

-ISU President Gregory Geoffroy; circa May 2003.

All-Star
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 606
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 93

I have to somewhat agree with you on this. From all the threads I've seen of people guessing next year's starting lineup, I don't know that I've seen one with Godfrey starting. From a historical coaching standpoint, coaches have tended to lean towards experience at first, which many of the newbies don't have. I don't know that I want to agree with you yet that Godfrey will start for sure next year at the beginning of the season, but I at least see him having a better chance than most people are making it out to be. I very much see him at least being our 6th man coming off the bench and getting a decent amount of playing time. The same argument could be made for Ejim for that 6th man spot too.

Pro
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,209
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 3

is not his nickname poseidon?

Addict
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,080
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 5

i can't imagine him not starting. unless, god forbid, he was somehow inelligible.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,429
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 200
    Given: 46

Will he start? I don't know. But the starting job certainly won't be handed over to Booker/Melvin/White/Babb

Starter
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 192
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 12

I really like the idea of Royce White and Poseidon on the block together. They will provide some of the best offensive rebounding we have seen in a very long time. And that is without even mentioning Ejim, who I believe at one point in the season was leading the Big 12 in offensive rebounds. I can see Poseidon either starting or being the 6th man. Regardless of if he starts or not I think he will probably play around 25 min a game.

I try to temper my expectations, but then I just think about what this team could be, and I just amp myself up even more.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 587
    Given: 317

Some things to remember. Before I post, you guys should know I support Godfrey and was extremely proud of how he played. That being said:

1. It's hard not to love a guy who gets defensive rebounds, but JVB was the worst rebounder on the team and when he went down, Godfrey saw more time, and we got more rebounds. It is just a case that we were used to never getting rebounds that we are surprised. White, Booker, Ejim, Godfrey, and Railey are all going to be able to rebound for us next year, they are the physical guys for us. Rebounds won't be a huge problem, I doubt.

2. His touch is iffy. I would like him and Ejim to come off the bench and just tear s*** up on the boards when White and Booker need breathers.

Starter
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 64
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneJames View Post
    I really like the idea of Royce White and Poseidon on the block together. They will provide some of the best offensive rebounding we have seen in a very long time. And that is without even mentioning Ejim, who I believe at one point in the season was leading the Big 12 in offensive rebounds. I can see Poseidon either starting or being the 6th man. Regardless of if he starts or not I think he will probably play around 25 min a game.

I try to temper my expectations, but then I just think about what this team could be, and I just amp myself up even more.
    I like the idea of White and Godfrey on the floor at the same time. Who would you play at the 3 when the two powerfreaks are playing the 4 and 5 at the same time?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 295
    Given: 38

I would like to see Allen, Scotty/Babb, Ejim, Godfrey and White starting as of right now. I just think Ejim would play much better at the 3 and with Godfrey in, you take a little defensive and rebounding pressure off of White, not to mention he can work a little more in the mid-range where I think he could be very effective due to his skills.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Legend
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 167
    Given: 149

His improvement through the year has really impressed me. I wouldn't be surprised if he got the nod next year. Having him and white down low would be great. Ejim & Bapp can compete for the SF position. And the guards can be Allen and whoever gets the nod between McGee and Scotty.

Walk On
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 456
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

I couldn't care less who starts. I want to know who is going to finish. Who are the gamers who will win games in the end.

Starter
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 64
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    I would like to see Allen, Scotty/Babb, Ejim, Godfrey and White starting as of right now. I just think Ejim would play much better at the 3 and with Godfrey in, you take a little defensive and rebounding pressure off of White, not to mention he can work a little more in the mid-range where I think he could be very effective due to his skills.
    Mcgee/Sledge
    Allen/Scotty
    Ejim/Babb/Scotty
    White/Booker
    Godfrey/Railey

Who plays the best defense will decide who plays the 3 next year IMO.