Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 415
    Given: 300

Looking for Tailgating Recipes

Amy’s Zesty TexMex Succulent Fiesta
    contributed by Amy 7 skinless chicken breasts (Flash frozen works best)
    1 green and 1 yellow pepper
    1 large onion
    Goode Company Mesquite Shake :p (http://www.goodecompany.com)
    Jose Cuervo Authentic Lime Margaritas (Bottled Pre-Mix) :)
    Olive Oil
    Large sealable container
    Large flour tortillas
    Shredded Monterrey Jack Cheese
    1 can diced tomatoes
    2 cans Dark Red Kidney Beans, drain one can. ;)
    Bacon
    1 C. White Rice
    2/3 C. Water
    Cooking Spray
    Salsa

Cooking Utensils
    Large skillet
    Aluminum foil
    3 quart pot for beans
    Rice Steamer (or lidded 2 quart pot)
    Wooden Spoon
    Rice Paddle
    Tongs
    Fajita Preparation:

Chicken: Run chicken breasts under water to remove ice glazing. Slice in 1 inch wide strips. Put into large sealable container. Sprinkle Mesquite Shake onto chicken and pour margaritas to cover chicken. Marinate for 3 hours.

Vegetables: Chop Onions, set aside. Cut peppers into strips, set aside. Drain diced tomatoes, set aside.

Cooking the Rice:
    Put one cup of rice and 2/3 cup water in rice steamer, set timer for 50 minutes. Alternatively, cook following direction on package of rice in 2 quart pot.

Cooking the Beans:

Slice 4 – 5 pieces of bacon and put into 3 quart pot over medium high heat and cook bacon stirring often with wooden spoon. Add ¼ of the chopped onions and sweat (i.e. cook until clear). Add 2 cans beans and liquid from one can of beans, reduce heat, stir. Add ¼ c of chopped green and yellow pepper. Reduce Heat and cover.

Grilling the tortillas:

Spray skillet with cooking spray. Place one flour tortilla on skillet over medium heat and grill to a light brown on one side (watch for tortilla to puff up, then flip to grill the other side.). Place grilled tortillas on piece of foil double the size of the tortilla. Fold over aluminum foil and seal. Then fold sealed packet over again and place in oven or on grill to keep warm.

Cooking the Fajitas:

Add a little olive oil to the skillet which is on medium high heat stove. Add chicken a little at a time and cook about 3-5 minutes each side using tongs to turn. Add onions, and stir with wooden rice paddle or spatula. Add more mesquite shake and push cooked chicken out to the sides, adding more chicken into the middle of the skillet. When all chicken has been browned on both sides add peppers. Pour margarita marinade onto chicken in skillet, add diced tomatoes. Cover and reduce heat to simmer.

Serving the Meal:

Open the aluminum folk and Unfold a tortilla. Put about a handful of shredded cheese on the tortilla and then add the chicken, onion, pepper mixture in a line down the center of the tortilla (not too much it won’t fold correctly). Fold the bottom of the tortilla up to create a seal on the bottom. Roll/fold one side over the meat, and then fold the top over to create another seal. Then fold the last open side over toward the center. Place on plate with rice and beans. Sprinkle a little extra shredded cheese over the beans and add top the beans with a tablespoon of salsa. Enjoy!

Serves 6-8

Last edited by Wesley; 08-14-2006 at 05:19 PM.
    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Beer Can Clone Chicken

contributed by Monkey Power
    1 large (3-4 lb) chicken
    1 empty beer can with top removed (or extra holes added)
    3 bottles of Flying Dog K9 Cruiser Altitude Ale (or any good, rich, full-bodied ale)
    1 handful of mesquite chips (soaked overnight in water)
    1 sprig fresh rosemary

Dry Rub:
    tsp fresh ground pepper
    tsp kosher salt
    tsp sage
    tsp majorum (rub between hands until finely powdered)
    1/2 tsp garlic powder Pour one beer. Deeply sniff its aroma. Take a mouthful and swish it around and enjoy the rich flavors. Swallow. Take one more large drink. Now we can get to work. :D

Rub the chicken using the spice mix on the skin and inside the cavity. Stuff the sprig of rosemary inside of the cavity. Next, fill the empty beer can about with half of a beer. When your grill has reached medium heat, place a drip pan under the grate where the chicken will sit. Pour the other half of the beer into the drip pan and add some water so that you have a few inches of liquid covering the bottom. Take care that it doesn't go dry during cooking.

Drink some of your beer. :)

Lightly oil the beer can. Place chicken over the beer can so that the can and the legs make a tripod on the grill grate over the drip pan. Can should fit snugly into the cavity with a few inches showing. Wrap mesquite chips in a foil packet with the ends open. Place over coals on top of grate.

Finish 1st beer. :)

Cook for approximately 1 1/2 hours. Resist the urge to peek at it very often. Just enough to control flareups, which should be infrequent if drip pan is kept full. Meat will be very tender and falling off of the bone, but still very juicy.

Enjoy extra beer while the chicken cooks.:D

Last edited by Wesley; 08-14-2006 at 05:18 PM.
    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Big Red Sauerkraut Garn (Foot)Balls

1 pound bulk BIG RED PORK SAUSAGE
    1 1/2 cups grated extremely mild cheddar cheese
    3 eggs, thoroughly beaten
    1 cup sauerkraut, drained, squeezed dry
    1 very small onion, chopped
    1 1/2 to 2 cups dried plain bread crumbs
    Vegetable oil for frying
    Local Beer batter* (see recipe)
    Sour cream for garnish and garn 91

Local Beer batter:
    2 cups flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 tablespoon salt, or to taste
    1 1/2 cups draft beer
    1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder

Combine all ingredients and mix until smooth. Makes about 5 cups. Combine Big Red sausage, cheese, eggs, sauerkraut and onions. Mix gently by hand, trying not to break sauerkraut strands. Shape into 1- to 11/2-inch balls and roll in bread crumbs. Prepare to this point then refrigerate until ready to serve. Refrigerate a few hours or overnight so that balls hold together.

When ready to serve, heat oil to 375 degrees. Dip Red balls into local beer batter and fry until golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Serve with sour cream. Makes about 30 Big Red appetizers.

Last edited by Wesley; 08-14-2006 at 05:29 PM.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Hawkeye Loud Mouth Punch

original EIU sources Unknown
    24 cans or bottles of your favorite black and gold barley and hops flavored beverage
    2-3 bags of high-quality ice (frozen)
    Cooler or large bucket
    Cups for the ladies and the EIU grads
    Large plastic trash bag (litterers are NOT good tailgaters)
    Designated driver (tailgate responsibly) Open cooler. Pick up a bag of ice. Right-handers should grasp the "neck" of the bag in their right hand, and support the weight of the bag in their left. Reverse for lefties. Raise bag to chest height, taking care to maintain a perpendicular plane with the pavement below. Let bag drop. Repeat with subsequent bags of ice.

Arrange bottles or cans in the cooler. Distribution of the containers is a method of personal choice and should be left up to either the host or the owner of the cooler. NEVER criticize your hosts choice of methods.
    Cover with ice until well chilled.
    Get inebriated!

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Toledo Rocket Beef Stew

2lbs. Cubed (not Cuban) beef
    1 C all-purpose flour
    1 Tbsp Lawry's seasoned salt
    1/4 tsp Black Pepper
    4 lg. potatoes cut in 1/2-3/4" cubes
    1-20oz (family size) bag of frozen mixed vegetables
    Beef flavored bullion
    4 Chilli Peppers
    Bisquick baking mix
    First, if you want to save a little time, buy your beef already cut into cubes. You'll pay a little more (about a buck a pound more), but it can knock about a half hour off your prep time. Personally cut using a round roast. Cut the cubes about 3/4" in size.

Mix together the flour, seasoned salt, and pepper. Roll the beef in it to thoroughly coat, then brown in a hot skillet with vegetable oil. The flour is the ingredient that will give the stew a little consistancy, more of a gravy than a soup stock. Add browned beef to a large stock pot of boiling water, cover and allow to simmer on low for about an hour. Add potatoes to pot, cover and simmer til tender. When potatoes are tender, add vegetables and carefully bring to a boil, stirring every few minutes to prevent sticking. Add beef bullion to taste.

While stew is coming to a boil, mix up the Bisquick according to the label instructions for "dumplings". Once stew boils, drop spoonfuls of mix into stew and again, follow Bisquick's instructions. In 20 minutes, you'll have piping hot beef stew with dumplings. Salt and pepper to taste. :p

Keep this hot on the Coleman camp stove set on low. Fantastic cold weather food. Serve with hot coffee with a splash of your favorite liqueur.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    Mix one amyk33 and one monkeybrow for one incredible tailgating wedding! :)

Does anyone really need recipes? My shopping list is beer, chips, brats, buns, beer, and coffee and baileys when it's cold.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    That works for me. The less cooking the better.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    UniPanther Beer Brats

Package of your favorite Johnsonville brats
    Good, flavorful beer :)
    Stadium Mustard ;)
    Grilled onions :D
    Lots of napkins Poke holes in each brat with a fork before placing over low heat on the grill. Continue cooking until the brats become shrivelled up. Place the brats in a pan and keep covered with purple beer. Do not let the beer come to a boil. Keep over medium low heat until the brats have become reconstituted and plump. When they are done, put them on a Panther plate and let them rest for 5 minutes.
    Serve on fresh rolls with stone ground mustard and grilled onions.
    Classic tailgate fare!

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    How about some shrimp on the barbie?

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 769
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    I got some killer breakfast burgers off of Emeril one time when they were doing a tailgating special. I don't have the exacts right now, but you put like syrup in with ground beef and some spices. Then you make this high power sauce with tomatillos, jalapenos and apple cider vinegar. Then you put egg and bacon on the burger with some of the sauce. Some kid from Texas makes them at every game and people love them. So I tried them at a tailgate and my friends and family really liked them but it had quite a bit of spice for that early in the morning!

“Also, I met a lot of Iowa State fans and I don’t want to leave any of that behind.” - DARIUS DARKS on Staying a CLONE!!!

Matt (00 Alumn)
    Waukee, Iowa

All-Star
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,372
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 6
    Give me a grill... give me some meat... give me some buns... give me some condiments... I'm a happy man.

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by dbronco7sc View Post
    Give me a grill... give me some meat... give me some buns... give me some condiments... I'm a happy man.
    AMEN Brotha!!! Hamburgers and hotdogs for me, the occasional omelet and if its early enough, you could make some sausage mcGriddles. Why do we have to get fancy? Break out the skillet and no one will complain.

EDIT: I almost forgot, break out the industrial size grill and invite anyone wearing cardinal and gold to come over and have a burger and a beer.

Last edited by clone33; 08-15-2006 at 10:37 PM.
    God Bless America