Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 394

NoScript and AdBlockPro on FF 4

I just downloaded the release candidate of Firefox 4 and am loving it! I recently started using AdBlockPro and am satisfied with that extension as well. I just started using NoScript.

So far it seems like using NoScript is a pain. Will I get used to it or will I notice it less the longer I use it? Just starting out it seems like a lot of work to get sites to appear as I want them to appear.

Anyone use NoScript and have any suggestions on how to use it effectively or just let it run its course?

Starter
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 562
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 7

Re: NoScript and AdBlockPro on FF 4

How is FF4? I used Firefox for a long time but finally switched over the Chrome because it seems quicker and the interface is very clean. Sorry I don't have an answer for noscript, I used it before for a little bit but it became more of a pain for me.

Last edited by MrGreg; 03-10-2011 at 10:28 AM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 746
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by MrGreg View Post
    How is FF4? I used Firefox for a long time but finally switched over the Chrome because it seems quicker and the interface is very clean. Sorry I don't have an answer for noscript, I used it before for a little bit but it became more of a pain for me.
    I am a Firefox "fanatic" so I might not be the one to give the best answer to your question. I have been using the FF 4 betas for awhile and the release candidate came out yesterday. I am very happy with it so far. Seems to fly when surfing...

I like Chrome as well...I see Chrome 10 was released and I will play around with it but it would have to overwhelm me due to my love of Firefox.

Both have portable versions available which makes me happy because my work computer only has IE8 on it and I hate all IEs!

All-Star
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 577
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by cyfanatic View Post
    I just downloaded the release candidate of Firefox 4 and am loving it! I recently started using AdBlockPro and am satisfied with that extension as well. I just started using NoScript.

So far it seems like using NoScript is a pain. Will I get used to it or will I notice it less the longer I use it? Just starting out it seems like a lot of work to get sites to appear as I want them to appear.

Anyone use NoScript and have any suggestions on how to use it effectively or just let it run its course?
    I use NoScript and I agree that it is a pain sometimes. Still, you can tell it protects you from a lot of popups and other annoying ads. Also you can see how much crap is trying to get into your computer even from a legitimate site. For example, cyclonefanatic is trying to run 9 *******. Out of those, I've only allowed 3. It makes for a lot cleaner browsing experience in my opinion. It takes a little getting used to though.

As far as advice for running it, usually you should permanently allow the top level site's scriiiipt (filter). That will make things function pretty well most of the time. Other scriiiipts you might consider permanently allowing are googleapis or yahooapis which basically make sites function. Sometimes there are scriiiipts which have "dcn" and the main site in their name and those are usually ok to allow also. If all else fails, try "temporarily allow all this page" and things should work fine. You can block everything again once you've left the site.

Last edited by agrabes; 03-10-2011 at 10:54 AM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 746
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by agrabes View Post
    I use NoScript and I agree that it is a pain sometimes. Still, you can tell it protects you from a lot of popups and other annoying ads. Also you can see how much crap is trying to get into your computer even from a legitimate site. For example, cyclonefanatic is trying to run 9 *******. Out of those, I've only allowed 3. It makes for a lot cleaner browsing experience in my opinion. It takes a little getting used to though.
    Thanks for the reply. I am starting to get used to it already and will likely stick it out. I almost uninstalled it after about 5 minutes...but I am starting to like it.

All-Star
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 253
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 20

I use noscript at work, but only because the computer is about 20 years old and has a heart-attack loading any site w/ flash or lots of javascript.

Personally i wouldn't use it at home; i think at least 33% of the time i'd need to turn it off in order to get the sites to function correctly

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

FF4 is nice, but there have been a bit more 'hangs' at startup and while loading some pages. Not a lot, but more noticeable than with FF3, IMO.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 669
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 16

I am a Firefox "fanatic" so I might not be the one to give the best answer to your question. I have been using the FF 4 betas for awhile and the release candidate came out yesterday. I am very happy with it so far. Seems to fly when surfing...

I like Chrome as well...I see Chrome 10 was released and I will play around with it but it would have to overwhelm me due to my love of Firefox.

Both have portable versions available which makes me happy because my work computer only has IE8 on it and I hate all IEs!
    Get IE9 RC, its better than 8 IMO