Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 51,837, Level: 70
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 713
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    isukendall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fort Collins, CO
    Posts
    1,873
    Points
    51,837
    Level
    70
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 132

    Grolsch beer bottles

    Does Grolsch still distribute beer with the swing-top bottles? I've started homebrewing, and it would be great to have a couple cases of them if I could get my hands on them. Not that long ago (ISU ten years ago......) it seemed you could get them pretty easily, but now I don't see them anywhere.

    Anyone has a bunch of them sitting around, PM me and we could make a deal.

    On that note, does anyone else homebrew? I've started this year, made a Brown Ale, Porter, Wit, and a Pale Ale tonight. Good times, although probably easier to do living where I do in Ft Collins.



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 164,694, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran
    CtownCyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    8,774
    Points
    164,694
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 109
    Given: 87

    Re: Grolsch beer bottles

    Quote Originally Posted by isukendall View Post
    Does Grolsch still distribute beer with the swing-top bottles? I've started homebrewing, and it would be great to have a couple cases of them if I could get my hands on them. Not that long ago (ISU ten years ago......) it seemed you could get them pretty easily, but now I don't see them anywhere.

    Anyone has a bunch of them sitting around, PM me and we could make a deal.

    On that note, does anyone else homebrew? I've started this year, made a Brown Ale, Porter, Wit, and a Pale Ale tonight. Good times, although probably easier to do living where I do in Ft Collins.
    Those bottles are still around, at least here in Texas. I haven't started homebrewing but one of my former college roommates has. He just goes with the "any old bottle" request and uses the capping machine. The downside to that is you end up with one of his lagers in a Sam Adams bottle and you could get a suprise if you don't know what you're in store for...



  3. #3
    All-Star
    Points: 51,837, Level: 70
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 713
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    isukendall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fort Collins, CO
    Posts
    1,873
    Points
    51,837
    Level
    70
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 132

    Re: Grolsch beer bottles

    I've been reusing bottles, but it would be cool to be able to do a whole batch in the flip-top bottles. Has anyone seen then in IA, CO, or NE? I could probably get some friends to stock up in any of those places.



  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 51,035, Level: 69
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Broodwich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    42.186391, -93.598597
    Posts
    2,044
    Points
    51,035
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Grolsch beer bottles

    Yes, there Grolsch still has swing-tops. Fischer, a French beer has them too. You should be able to find them at any reputable purveyor of import beers.



  5. #5
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 8,921, Level: 28
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 429
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, IA
    Posts
    259
    Points
    8,921
    Level
    28
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 14

    Re: Grolsch beer bottles

    I think Beer Crazy in Urbandale might sell the flip type of bottles you are looking for. They do sell the bottles that you can cap and I have purchased several cases from them.

    I just recently start home brewing as well and my first amber ale batch turned out pretty good. I have gotten all of my supplies from Beer Crazy, it is a good store and I highly recommend it.


    Your shopping cart, like your impoverished soul, is empty.

  6. #6
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 62,484, Level: 77
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 766
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,092
    Points
    62,484
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 124
    Given: 111

    Re: Grolsch beer bottles

    Here's a place in Minneapolis:

    Midwest Supplies - Bottling - Brewing Equipment



  7. #7
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 72,265, Level: 83
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 885
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cyfan964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    4 blocks from the Jack
    Posts
    4,563
    Points
    72,265
    Level
    83
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 193

    Re: Grolsch beer bottles

    Quote Originally Posted by kmcbrid View Post
    I think Beer Crazy in Urbandale might sell the flip type of bottles you are looking for. They do sell the bottles that you can cap and I have purchased several cases from them.

    I just recently start home brewing as well and my first amber ale batch turned out pretty good. I have gotten all of my supplies from Beer Crazy, it is a good store and I highly recommend it.
    You can definitely buy cases of swing top BROWN bottles at Beer Crazy in Urbandale. They are reasonably priced too.

    Grolsch bottles are green (bad for homebrewing because it lets light in). I have no idea why beer companies use green bottles. Notice that all quality brews come in brown bottles. If you buy Grolsch you have to drink it anyway... and it tastes like ****.

    Just go buy the bottles, you'd be doing yourself a favor.



  8. #8
    Pro
    Points: 51,023, Level: 69
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 127
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    pyrocyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    2,833
    Points
    51,023
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: Grolsch beer bottles

    I brew. I've got a double IPA in my secondary fermenter right now. Will probably bottle either saturday or sunday.



  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 560,620, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    ISUAgronomist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Back in Iowa!!!!!!!!
    Posts
    21,450
    Points
    560,620
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 283
    Given: 139

    Re: Grolsch beer bottles

    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaCy View Post
    That's where my FIL gets all his stuff. Good company. Granted its on the way home from the office for him.



  10. #10
    All-Star
    Points: 51,837, Level: 70
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 713
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    isukendall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fort Collins, CO
    Posts
    1,873
    Points
    51,837
    Level
    70
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 132

    Re: Grolsch beer bottles

    Quote Originally Posted by cyfan964 View Post
    You can definitely buy cases of swing top BROWN bottles at Beer Crazy in Urbandale. They are reasonably priced too.

    Grolsch bottles are green (bad for homebrewing because it lets light in). I have no idea why beer companies use green bottles. Notice that all quality brews come in brown bottles. If you buy Grolsch you have to drink it anyway... and it tastes like ****.

    Just go buy the bottles, you'd be doing yourself a favor.
    Not entirely true. Grolsch also makes brown bottles (I have a couple I use) but I think are harder to find in the states. Most of my homebrew is either in a closet aging, in a fridge cooling, or in a hand being drank. Not too worried about the green for my own purposes (although I agree green bottles are stupid).



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBD
  • Iowa State vs. Oklahoma
  • November 1, 2014
  • 07:00 PM