Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31
  1. #1
    Pro
    Points: 55,280, Level: 72
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 270
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    acoustimac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lamoni, IA
    Posts
    2,264
    Points
    55,280
    Level
    72
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 107

    Twister Sister Summary - Ladies fall to KSU

    Before I write about the game let me put out a couple of disclaimers.
    1. I have no idea what is happening behind the scenes with this team. Has Zimm been sick? Are other players ill? What else is happening? I donít know.
    2. I do remember these are college women playing a game. Now that it is out there, know as usual that I wonít pull any punches.
    3. I rarely if ever criticize Coach F.ís coaching.
    From the get-go this game was designed around Anna Prins. Every offensive possession was designed to get the ball inside to her. One big problem. She couldnít find the inside of the basket if she had a seeing eye dog. That may seem harsh, but in the past couple of games she has had some real downers. Against Nebraska she was 1-10 from the field. Today wasnít much better as she connected on 2-10. More later. Game plan scrapped.
    This was a back and forth affair for these teams. It was pretty much even throughout the first half, but to watch the sisters play you would have felt the pain we felt. The offense was completely out of sync. The name of the game was turnovers and many of those were at the most inopportune times. Ten in the first half and fifteen on the game. Nothing would ever get in sync for the team. It didnít matter who Coach rotated in nothing happened. We kept getting opportunities to either tie or take the lead and every time we would either miss, turn the ball over, or have a defensive breakdown to allow KSU numerous chances to hold the lead. Halftime 30-25 for KU. Bolte had 4 points at the break if that tells you anything.
    We hoped at half time that it was just one of those bad halves weíve gotten used to this year. But alas, it wasnít. It continued to carry over and KSU pulled away slowly as the offense continued to misfire. Point One Ė what has happened that we have so many players that are afraid of shooting the darn ball? We have to play offense with 3 arms tied behind our back. Either our posts canít hit a shot, our forwards just stand around, or we have guards that look to pass and wonít shoot. Cole wonít shoot. Jess wonít shoot. Loz wonít shoot much (and when she did she got blocked). Where does this fear come from? Jess has shown in the past few games that she can hit the three. Cole can too. Why arenít they putting up a couple hundred every day in practice? (maybe they are and I obviously donít know it). In any case watching this display was sad.
    Point Two Ė What is up with this offensive design from our coaching staff. I realize we donít score a lot of points so we run the clock down. But to see four players literally stand in place while the point guard dribbles the clock awayÖand then continue to stand when we need to get a shot off? Iím puzzled. I saw regression tonight in Bolt. She spent a great deal of time standing out at the 3 point line like she used to. No movement. The few times she did get aggressive in the second half she made things happen.
    In any case, this one was ugly. With eight minutes left in the GAME we had 36 points. Fortunately, Big C came to life in the last few minutes to spark a furious comeback. She scored 8 straight for the ladies (2 from downtown and one layup). We even had a great steal in the last 8 seconds to get the ball back down by three, but Bolt was blanketed and couldnít get the 3 to go.

    Point Three Ė How is it that a conference like the Big 12 has such crappy officials? There were horrible calls and missed calls tonight. The worst late in the game when Bolt drove and a KSU player literally reached out and grabbed her arm and pulled her back causing a turnover. All right in front of an official. No call.
    So now we wait. What will the NCAA committee do? We obviously are going to the dance but where will we fall? Iím guessing an 8 or 9 seed right now. Its going to be tough and I hope the coaches can get a good game plan together and the players can get some rest.



  2. #2
    Rookie
    Points: 14,262, Level: 36
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 588
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Posts
    515
    Points
    14,262
    Level
    36
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Twister Sister Summary - Ladies fall to KSU

    Quote Originally Posted by acoustimac View Post
    Before I write about the game let me put out a couple of disclaimers.
    1. I have no idea what is happening behind the scenes with this team. Has Zimm been sick? Are other players ill? What else is happening? I donít know.
    2. I do remember these are college women playing a game. Now that it is out there, know as usual that I wonít pull any punches.
    3. I rarely if ever criticize Coach F.ís coaching.
    From the get-go this game was designed around Anna Prins. Every offensive possession was designed to get the ball inside to her. One big problem. She couldnít find the inside of the basket if she had a seeing eye dog. That may seem harsh, but in the past couple of games she has had some real downers. Against Nebraska she was 1-10 from the field. Today wasnít much better as she connected on 2-10. More later. Game plan scrapped.
    This was a back and forth affair for these teams. It was pretty much even throughout the first half, but to watch the sisters play you would have felt the pain we felt. The offense was completely out of sync. The name of the game was turnovers and many of those were at the most inopportune times. Ten in the first half and fifteen on the game. Nothing would ever get in sync for the team. It didnít matter who Coach rotated in nothing happened. We kept getting opportunities to either tie or take the lead and every time we would either miss, turn the ball over, or have a defensive breakdown to allow KSU numerous chances to hold the lead. Halftime 30-25 for KU. Bolte had 4 points at the break if that tells you anything.
    We hoped at half time that it was just one of those bad halves weíve gotten used to this year. But alas, it wasnít. It continued to carry over and KSU pulled away slowly as the offense continued to misfire. Point One Ė what has happened that we have so many players that are afraid of shooting the darn ball? We have to play offense with 3 arms tied behind our back. Either our posts canít hit a shot, our forwards just stand around, or we have guards that look to pass and wonít shoot. Cole wonít shoot. Jess wonít shoot. Loz wonít shoot much (and when she did she got blocked). Where does this fear come from? Jess has shown in the past few games that she can hit the three. Cole can too. Why arenít they putting up a couple hundred every day in practice? (maybe they are and I obviously donít know it). In any case watching this display was sad.
    Point Two Ė What is up with this offensive design from our coaching staff. I realize we donít score a lot of points so we run the clock down. But to see four players literally stand in place while the point guard dribbles the clock awayÖand then continue to stand when we need to get a shot off? Iím puzzled. I saw regression tonight in Bolt. She spent a great deal of time standing out at the 3 point line like she used to. No movement. The few times she did get aggressive in the second half she made things happen.
    In any case, this one was ugly. With eight minutes left in the GAME we had 36 points. Fortunately, Big C came to life in the last few minutes to spark a furious comeback. She scored 8 straight for the ladies (2 from downtown and one layup). We even had a great steal in the last 8 seconds to get the ball back down by three, but Bolt was blanketed and couldnít get the 3 to go.

    Point Three Ė How is it that a conference like the Big 12 has such crappy officials? There were horrible calls and missed calls tonight. The worst late in the game when Bolt drove and a KSU player literally reached out and grabbed her arm and pulled her back causing a turnover. All right in front of an official. No call.
    So now we wait. What will the NCAA committee do? We obviously are going to the dance but where will we fall? Iím guessing an 8 or 9 seed right now. Its going to be tough and I hope the coaches can get a good game plan together and the players can get some rest.
    This didn't look like any ISU team I have seen in a long while. Very sad performance. Can't hit 3's which was our strong suit for many years. Listless IMO. Love ya coach, but this has been a really sad year. Coaching wasn't that hot either.



  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 398,619, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    58,793
    Points
    398,619
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 349

    Re: Twister Sister Summary - Ladies fall to KSU

    Are they out of shape after the game yesterday?

    BF's teams should not be standing around this much.

    Last year the PG covered up for the standing around.
    It just did not work this year when nobody wanted to shoot.

    We need to be much more confident next year.


    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

  4. #4
    Walk On
    Points: 5,500, Level: 21
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 50
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    177
    Points
    5,500
    Level
    21
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Twister Sister Summary - Ladies fall to KSU

    Schroll needs to work on 3's this summer! Cole needs step up and shoot nxt year! Big C needs to hit the weight room more, prins needs to get strength in her hands, If not I'm afraid it will be worse than this year!!!



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 158,741, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Palmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Johnston, IA
    Posts
    7,901
    Points
    158,741
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 6

    Re: Twister Sister Summary - Ladies fall to KSU

    Coaching was terrible.....never seen it worse.


    Carrying the banner for ISU.


  6. #6
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 67,420, Level: 80
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 630
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteran50000 Experience Points
    mred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    SE WI
    Posts
    4,917
    Points
    67,420
    Level
    80
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 0

    Re: Twister Sister Summary - Ladies fall to KSU

    Quote Originally Posted by acoustimac View Post
    I have no idea what is happening behind the scenes with this team. Has Zimm been sick?
    Yes. She didn't make the Missouri trip and was in street clothes for the Nebraska game but was dressed for this game. BF said before the game that she was getting healthier but would only play in this game if absolutely necessary (serious post foul trouble).



  7. #7
    Starter
    Points: 16,038, Level: 38
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 412
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Waukon, Iowa
    Posts
    681
    Points
    16,038
    Level
    38
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 0

    Re: Twister Sister Summary - Ladies fall to KSU

    Quote Originally Posted by swiacyfan View Post
    Schroll needs to work on 3's this summer! Cole needs step up and shoot nxt year! Big C needs to hit the weight room more, prins needs to get strength in her hands, If not I'm afraid it will be worse than this year!!!
    Cole is not a shooter, just as Stuckey was not a shooter. Scroll, Mansfield and Harris seem to lack confidence in their shots, but all four of our underclass perimiter players are borderline Big 12 caliber. Prins is soft, and does not have good hands. Also, she can't get open or create her own shot. Hallie will be one of the best post players ever at ISU when she gets stronger. She and pop can't do it alone, hope we get some help from the new class. Fennelly misses on about 1/3 of his recruits. Mossman, Florzak, Yakey, Williams for examples, and maybe Prins and/or Zimm ?



  8. #8
    Prospect
    Points: 7,845, Level: 26
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 305
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ames, Iowa
    Posts
    74
    Points
    7,845
    Level
    26
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Twister Sister Summary - Ladies fall to KSU

    Quote Originally Posted by swiacyfan View Post
    Schroll needs to work on 3's this summer! Cole needs step up and shoot nxt year! Big C needs to hit the weight room more, prins needs to get strength in her hands, If not I'm afraid it will be worse than this year!!!
    Somehow Anna needs to get an attitude like Pop. How many times did the ball come in to her and she brought it down so the shorter players could knock it away or tie her up? She is 6'7 for crying out loud hold it up where they can't reach it and learn to jump..
    Not only the Big 12 has bad officiating.. I've watched a lot of badly called games. These refs are getting paid to call the game right and it is just plain not happening.



  9. #9
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 67,420, Level: 80
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 630
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteran50000 Experience Points
    mred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    SE WI
    Posts
    4,917
    Points
    67,420
    Level
    80
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 0

    Re: Twister Sister Summary - Ladies fall to KSU

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldgeezer View Post
    Fennelly misses on about 1/3 of his recruits <snip> maybe Prins
    Weird thing to say about someone who is tied for #2 on the team in PPG and is only barely behind Bolte for the team lead in points per 40 min.

    She has things to work on (detailed in other posts) but she is still one of our top offensive weapons. A couple rough games doesn't change that.



  10. #10
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 5,488, Level: 21
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    322
    Points
    5,488
    Level
    21
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    Re: Twister Sister Summary - Ladies fall to KSU

    Quote Originally Posted by acoustimac View Post
    Before I write about the game let me put out a couple of disclaimers.
    1. I have no idea what is happening behind the scenes with this team. Has Zimm been sick? Are other players ill? What else is happening? I donít know.
    2. I do remember these are college women playing a game. Now that it is out there, know as usual that I wonít pull any punches.
    3. I rarely if ever criticize Coach F.ís coaching.
    From the get-go this game was designed around Anna Prins. Every offensive possession was designed to get the ball inside to her. One big problem. She couldnít find the inside of the basket if she had a seeing eye dog. That may seem harsh, but in the past couple of games she has had some real downers. Against Nebraska she was 1-10 from the field. Today wasnít much better as she connected on 2-10. More later. Game plan scrapped.
    This was a back and forth affair for these teams. It was pretty much even throughout the first half, but to watch the sisters play you would have felt the pain we felt. The offense was completely out of sync. The name of the game was turnovers and many of those were at the most inopportune times. Ten in the first half and fifteen on the game. Nothing would ever get in sync for the team. It didnít matter who Coach rotated in nothing happened. We kept getting opportunities to either tie or take the lead and every time we would either miss, turn the ball over, or have a defensive breakdown to allow KSU numerous chances to hold the lead. Halftime 30-25 for KU. Bolte had 4 points at the break if that tells you anything.
    We hoped at half time that it was just one of those bad halves weíve gotten used to this year. But alas, it wasnít. It continued to carry over and KSU pulled away slowly as the offense continued to misfire. Point One Ė what has happened that we have so many players that are afraid of shooting the darn ball? We have to play offense with 3 arms tied behind our back. Either our posts canít hit a shot, our forwards just stand around, or we have guards that look to pass and wonít shoot. Cole wonít shoot. Jess wonít shoot. Loz wonít shoot much (and when she did she got blocked). Where does this fear come from? Jess has shown in the past few games that she can hit the three. Cole can too. Why arenít they putting up a couple hundred every day in practice? (maybe they are and I obviously donít know it). In any case watching this display was sad.
    Point Two Ė What is up with this offensive design from our coaching staff. I realize we donít score a lot of points so we run the clock down. But to see four players literally stand in place while the point guard dribbles the clock awayÖand then continue to stand when we need to get a shot off? Iím puzzled. I saw regression tonight in Bolt. She spent a great deal of time standing out at the 3 point line like she used to. No movement. The few times she did get aggressive in the second half she made things happen.
    In any case, this one was ugly. With eight minutes left in the GAME we had 36 points. Fortunately, Big C came to life in the last few minutes to spark a furious comeback. She scored 8 straight for the ladies (2 from downtown and one layup). We even had a great steal in the last 8 seconds to get the ball back down by three, but Bolt was blanketed and couldnít get the 3 to go.

    Point Three Ė How is it that a conference like the Big 12 has such crappy officials? There were horrible calls and missed calls tonight. The worst late in the game when Bolt drove and a KSU player literally reached out and grabbed her arm and pulled her back causing a turnover. All right in front of an official. No call.
    So now we wait. What will the NCAA committee do? We obviously are going to the dance but where will we fall? Iím guessing an 8 or 9 seed right now. Its going to be tough and I hope the coaches can get a good game plan together and the players can get some rest.
    Cous,

    Thanks for the write-up. Yes, this game was another totally disappointing game, starting with our guard play. I agree with your comments on Bolte - too much standing in the corner for me. I don't know if there's something behind the scenes, either, but this team struggles to jell or maintain the occasional spurts of great play. For what it's worth, I attended the night session. The quickness of several players on OU, Tex Tech, A & M, and to some extent even on TX seemed quite a contrast over watching ISU. I'd sure like to see more quick talent (yet playing within themselves) on the ISU team.



  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 55,280, Level: 72
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 270
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    acoustimac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lamoni, IA
    Posts
    2,264
    Points
    55,280
    Level
    72
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 107

    Re: Twister Sister Summary - Ladies fall to KSU

    Quote Originally Posted by mred View Post
    Weird thing to say about someone who is tied for #2 on the team in PPG and is only barely behind Bolte for the team lead in points per 40 min.

    She has things to work on (detailed in other posts) but she is still one of our top offensive weapons. A couple rough games doesn't change that.
    I would say she "could" be one of our top offensive weapons. Her weaknesses are well documented. I'm seriously considering seeing if Dr. Frankenstein can hook her up with Pop and transfer part of Pop's aggressive nature to her (note reference to Young Frankenstein).

    She is probably the most up and down player (no consistency) on the team as she can have a great game scoring (Nebraska) and then disappear for a week or so.

    GREAT POTENTIAL. Potential doesn't win games. Hard work to achieve that potential does.



  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 42,384, Level: 63
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 566
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    3,371
    Points
    42,384
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 32

    Re: Twister Sister Summary - Ladies fall to KSU

    If anyone was watching, Anna was such a threat, that the defenses of NU and KSU were keying in on her, Hallie and POP, often double teaming them, and always sagging leaving our perimeter players open. BF started her for a reason. We ran our plays through her. But if they can't get her the ball after she posts up deep, that is not her fault. Then, the pass her the ball 10 ft from the hoop and expect her to drive or make her shot? Come on people. If our perimeter players would just take their open shots, they could have penetration as well as open up the inside outside game.

    Prins is a finesse player, which works in our system. The problem is our guards are still coming into their own. To say that Prins is soft, is just getting maddening to me. She needs upper body strength some, and some improved conditioning, but she is also coming off two years of illnesses that slowed her conditioning, not to mention reduced conditioning because of her knee.

    Just because she is 6 7 doesn't mean she should pound it in there like she's a Paris twin.



  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 113,924, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Tornado man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    7,860
    Points
    113,924
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 126

    Re: Twister Sister Summary - Ladies fall to KSU

    Quote Originally Posted by acoustimac View Post

    She is probably the most up and down player (no consistency) on the team as she can have a great game scoring (Nebraska) and then disappear for a week or so.

    GREAT POTENTIAL. Potential doesn't win games. Hard work to achieve that potential does.
    And you know that Prins doesn't already "work hard"...how?



  14. #14
    All-Star
    Points: 18,059, Level: 41
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 891
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Three4Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    1,899
    Points
    18,059
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 21

    Re: Twister Sister Summary - Ladies fall to KSU

    Quote Originally Posted by twistedredbird View Post
    If anyone was watching, Anna was such a threat, that the defenses of NU and KSU were keying in on her, Hallie and POP, often double teaming them, and always sagging leaving our perimeter players open. BF started her for a reason. We ran our plays through her. But if they can't get her the ball after she posts up deep, that is not her fault. Then, the pass her the ball 10 ft from the hoop and expect her to drive or make her shot? Come on people. If our perimeter players would just take their open shots, they could have penetration as well as open up the inside outside game.

    Prins is a finesse player, which works in our system. The problem is our guards are still coming into their own. To say that Prins is soft, is just getting maddening to me. She needs upper body strength some, and some improved conditioning, but she is also coming off two years of illnesses that slowed her conditioning, not to mention reduced conditioning because of her knee.

    Just because she is 6 7 doesn't mean she should pound it in there like she's a Paris twin.
    She has yet to have a full season of conditioning and playing due to injuries/illness. If she could ever go though a full season completely healthy, I think we would all be amazed.



  15. #15
    Starter
    Points: 16,038, Level: 38
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 412
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Waukon, Iowa
    Posts
    681
    Points
    16,038
    Level
    38
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 0

    Re: Twister Sister Summary - Ladies fall to KSU

    Quote Originally Posted by mred View Post
    Weird thing to say about someone who is tied for #2 on the team in PPG and is only barely behind Bolte for the team lead in points per 40 min.

    She has things to work on (detailed in other posts) but she is still one of our top offensive weapons. A couple rough games doesn't change that.
    Bolte is the only player averaging in double figures in scoring. You could almost say there are several players tied for second--- When your 6' 7" center is losing minutes to a skinny freshman from a small school in rural Iowa, that's getting pretty close to a recruiting miss. Watch Pop and Hallie when they get the ball in the lane, and then watch Prins. It's like comparing Tinsley to Garrett



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FOX
  • Iowa State vs. Baylor
  • September 27, 2014
  • 07:20 PM