Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 0

This Years Team

Going back to the spring and the roster we had, I think things came together pretty well. Yeah, this years team didn't win enough. That is one way to look at it. BUT ,they laid the ground work, bought in, and set the example for future teams. The redshirts are inspired by them. That should mean a lot right there. They had their fair share of adversity this year, actually a lot of it. How did they respond? They played hard and never quit. That no one can take away from them. I am very proud of this team and enjoyed watching them this season.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 696
    Given: 476

Re: This Years Team

If you ignore the W-Ls (which, unfortunately is something you always hate to do), this season went about as well as expected. We only got blown out four times, three of which were by top 15 teams (at the time, at least), and one where we've never played well even with our better teams. If we had been able to play one or two of our transfers available to us next season this season, it would have been a completely different outcome.

Yeah, it sucks finishing in last, but if you take into account that this is Hoiberg's year coaching and he had relatively little to work with all year, and yet we were in almost every single game this year and were on the brink of winning many of those games, it's hard to say that this year was a complete failure.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Prospect
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 7
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Givin the situation freddie was put in when he got here, I would definatly say this season was a huge step forward for the program. Also all of gmac's teams had a lot more potential than this year and in year one, freddie did something gmac never did...have a .500 or better season which really makes me excited for the future under freddie!

Pro
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 693
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 233
    Given: 659

Quote Originally Posted by cayin View Post
    Going back to the spring and the roster we had, I think things came together pretty well. Yeah, this years team didn't win enough. That is one way to look at it. BUT ,they laid the ground work, bought in, and set the example for future teams. The redshirts are inspired by them. That should mean a lot right there. They had their fair share of adversity this year, actually a lot of it. How did they respond? They played hard and never quit. That no one can take away from them. I am very proud of this team and enjoyed watching them this season.
    Exactly.

All-Star
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    If you ignore the W-Ls (which, unfortunately is something you always hate to do), this season went about as well as expected. We only got blown out four times, three of which were by top 15 teams (at the time, at least), and one where we've never played well even with our better teams. If we had been able to play one or two of our transfers available to us next season this season, it would have been a completely different outcome.

Yeah, it sucks finishing in last, but if you take into account that this is Hoiberg's year coaching and he had relatively little to work with all year, and yet we were in almost every single game this year and were on the brink of winning many of those games, it's hard to say that this year was a complete failure.
    How many of those blowouts did we have our full roster? That is the thing, we had depth issues not just from having a short roster that never really played together going into the season, but also from having players, sick, hurt, and suspended during the season. I think our record with everyone available was really good. 16-5?

Addict
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 98
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 206
    Given: 138

We only got drilled four times with a roster so thin it was almost transparent.
    I'd say our over all level of play was off the charts good.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 696
    Given: 476

Quote Originally Posted by cayin View Post
    How many of those blowouts did we have our full roster? That is the thing, we had depth issues not just from having a short roster that never really played together going into the season, but also from having players, sick, hurt, and suspended during the season. I think our record with everyone available was really good. 16-5?
    Even if we did have a full roster, those four blowouts were at #2 Kansas, #5 Texas, #14 Missouri (the top 15 teams I referred to), and Colorado (where we never play well). We could have had a full roster and I wouldn't have been terribly upset with being blown out, except for maybe the Colorado loss. In the future obviously we want these things to even out. But considering all the hardships ISU basketball had to deal with this year and we were still in virtually every game we played in this year, there's little to legitimately complain about (unless you're going to get that anal about a first year coach's Ws and Ls).

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,696
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 310
    Given: 59

Even when you do look at the record, this team had a non-lossing record for the first time since before McDoormat. Granted most of those were in non-conference, this team beat the teams they were suppose to beat without really slipping up to inferior teams like in years past

Speechless
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 522
    Given: 341

The loss of Godfrey, Railey, and JVB for three games or so probbaly helped us lose a game or two in the end.

The loss to UNI and Cal actually hurt as those were games that could have been won.

IF we were 18-14 and won first round, things might have been different. Now we need to win two for CBI and three for NIT and four for the NCAA.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

All-Star
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 378
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 42

Less than one year ago, we were losing out on no-name recruits to no-name schools. To accomplish what Fred has, given what he had to work with, is nothing short of incredible. The future is very bright for ISU basketball.

All-Star
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 90
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

And we did not lose to a first year Division 1 team (South Dakota St)!

Pro
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 787
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

i wish we could fast forward to november and start next season. partially because i want bball season to start and then it would mean id be done with school

Pro
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 725
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up

As agonizing as it was to see all of those close games not go our way, you have to remind yourself that we aren't even supposed to be in those games. Our unanimous pick at the bottom of the league was done so thinking that we wouldn't be in games at all, besides perhaps an OU/Nebraska game... The fact that we came out and gave nearly every team a run at least once shows something.

The idea that the rest of the big 12 has taken notice to the team and Hoiberg also says something, that many of them have to be thinking in the back of their head that the team may be up and coming regardless of who plays. When was the last time that many of the coaches and press believed that the 12 seed has the best shot at a first round tournament upset??

I'm very proud of this years' team and definitely excited for next years, but I hope the excitement for next years can wait just a little while longer!!

Speechless
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 208
    Given: 18

I was entertained, that's all I wanted from this year. Didn't expect anything but they were fun to watch.

Starter
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 483
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

We can't even be that upset about the record although it was bad in the B12, considering all the posts from 6-11 months ago predicting 10-13 wins total.

Clone4ever