Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 11,425, Level: 32
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 525
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    CloneBack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    269
    Points
    11,425
    Level
    32
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Bottle/can redemption question

    I have at least three garbage bags of cans that I need to redeem. Is there a place I can take them in Des Moines/Ankeny that will separate and count them for me? I remember there was a place in Ames I used to go to in college. But I don't want to drive to Ames nor do I want to spend the day at HyVee feeding the machine. Yes, I'm lazy.


    Ron freaking Swanson

  2. #2
    Starter
    Points: 11,680, Level: 32
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 270
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    l2alphmacchio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    802
    Points
    11,680
    Level
    32
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 10

    Re: Bottle/can redemption question

    Spend 20 minutes and go to Dahls. You can dump all of the cans in at once, but you will have to feed plastic and glass.



  3. #3
    All-Star
    Points: 46,822, Level: 66
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 128
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,596
    Points
    46,822
    Level
    66
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 0

    Re: Bottle/can redemption question

    Quote Originally Posted by CloneBack View Post
    I have at least three garbage bags of cans that I need to redeem. Is there a place I can take them in Des Moines/Ankeny that will separate and count them for me? I remember there was a place in Ames I used to go to in college. But I don't want to drive to Ames nor do I want to spend the day at HyVee feeding the machine. Yes, I'm lazy.
    The machines allow you to dump a portion at a time. It's not one at a time.



  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 58,093, Level: 74
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 457
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    djcubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    2,800
    Points
    58,093
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 9

    Re: Bottle/can redemption question

    Quote Originally Posted by CloneBack View Post
    I have at least three garbage bags of cans that I need to redeem. Is there a place I can take them in Des Moines/Ankeny that will separate and count them for me? I remember there was a place in Ames I used to go to in college. But I don't want to drive to Ames nor do I want to spend the day at HyVee feeding the machine. Yes, I'm lazy.
    There's a place called K & B Redemption in Ankeny that will do this for you. It's a couple of blocks west of Delaware, kind of behind the Okoboji Grill. There used to be a place in downtown Des Moines but they closed down a few months ago.



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 85,494, Level: 90
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 56
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    capitalcityguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    5,157
    Points
    85,494
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 49
    Given: 25

    Re: Bottle/can redemption question

    Quote Originally Posted by l2alphmacchio View Post
    Spend 20 minutes and go to Dahls. You can dump all of the cans in at once, but you will have to feed plastic and glass.
    I'd ask you to be considerate of others (i.e...not backing up wait time at the machines) and NOT bring 3 bags of cans to Dahls. Either limit yourself to one bag (which is still A LOT IMO) at a time or go at some off-hour time like weekday afternoon.

    In fact, I know our Dahls post a limit to how much you can bring in at one time. Not sure what it is, but I know it is far fewer than 3 bags. That said, I'm not sure how hard they enforce it.


    CCG

  6. #6
    All-Star
    Points: 17,736, Level: 40
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 314
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Three4Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    1,834
    Points
    17,736
    Level
    40
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 7

    Re: Bottle/can redemption question

    Quote Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
    I'd ask you to be considerate of others (i.e...not backing up wait time at the machines) and NOT bring 3 bags of cans to Dahls. Either limit yourself to one bag (which is still A LOT IMO) at a time or go at some off-hour time like weekday afternoon.

    In fact, I know our Dahls post a limit to how much you can bring in at one time. Not sure what it is, but I know it is far fewer than 3 bags. That said, I'm not sure how hard they enforce it.
    200 a day at the Dahl's in WDM



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 80,655, Level: 88
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 1,295
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ripvdub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sk-Ankeny
    Posts
    6,664
    Points
    80,655
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 17

    Re: Bottle/can redemption question

    That K & B is the only place in Ankeny after the other place shut down. Most places preferred they be sorted between aluminum, plastic, glass. If not they only give you like .04 instead of the full .05. They also do a think where you buy a huge bag for a dollar and the next time you come they will give you a guesstimate and you don't wait in line, then they just replace the bag for free.


    #BEATIOWA

  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 80,655, Level: 88
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 1,295
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ripvdub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sk-Ankeny
    Posts
    6,664
    Points
    80,655
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 17

    Re: Bottle/can redemption question

    Also heard that the state might get rid of the deposit and have people recycle in their big recycling bins at the curb. Makes sense since I already have to pay $3 a month for recycling to stop anyway.


    #BEATIOWA

  9. #9
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 11,425, Level: 32
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 525
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    CloneBack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    269
    Points
    11,425
    Level
    32
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Bottle/can redemption question

    Thanks, got it handled. I went to Dahls.. dropped off 200. Then I went to HyVee and used the automated machine. I probably had close to 1000 cans. The automated machines aren't nearly as bad as what they used to be. I think I'll keep on top of my can redemption from here on out. =) $38 dollars in cans, drinks are on me Wednesday!


    Ron freaking Swanson

  10. #10
    All-Star
    Points: 17,736, Level: 40
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 314
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Three4Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    1,834
    Points
    17,736
    Level
    40
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 7

    Re: Bottle/can redemption question

    Quote Originally Posted by ripvdub View Post
    Also heard that the state might get rid of the deposit and have people recycle in their big recycling bins at the curb. Makes sense since I already have to pay $3 a month for recycling to stop anyway.
    The bill died during funnel week, the bottle deposit will live on.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM