Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    Prospect
    Points: 5,944, Level: 22
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 106
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3
    Points
    5,944
    Level
    22
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Weather gurus: Tues and Wed weather

    Just wanted to see if anyone can tell me what type of snowfall I can expect for the Pocahontas area. Thanks for the help!



  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 101,076, Level: 99
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,974
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,045
    Points
    101,076
    Level
    99
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Weather gurus: Tues and Wed weather

    Quote Originally Posted by fondacy View Post
    Just wanted to see if anyone can tell me what type of snowfall I can expect for the Pocahontas area. Thanks for the help!

    Pocahontas area will get 32 to 36 inches of snow. Just a dusting everywhere else.



  3. #3
    Pro
    Points: 36,086, Level: 58
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 564
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    drmwevr08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    3,418
    Points
    36,086
    Level
    58
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    Re: Weather gurus: Tues and Wed weather

    Quote Originally Posted by Senolcyc View Post
    Pocahontas area will get 32 to 36 inches of snow. Just a dusting everywhere else.
    I heard locusts too.


    Nothing to see here mods. Keep moving.

  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 380,795, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    55,552
    Points
    380,795
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 144
    Given: 113

    Re: Weather gurus: Tues and Wed weather

    And ICE.


    CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 31,350, Level: 54
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 600
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience PointsSocial
    EYEoftheSTORM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ames, Iowa
    Posts
    2,264
    Points
    31,350
    Level
    54
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 2

    Re: Weather gurus: Tues and Wed weather

    I heard there was a 30%chance of tornadoes that are accompaning the blizzard as well.....

    But that is just what the weather man is saying....




    I WAS THERE!!!!!!

  6. #6
    Pro
    Points: 31,350, Level: 54
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 600
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience PointsSocial
    EYEoftheSTORM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ames, Iowa
    Posts
    2,264
    Points
    31,350
    Level
    54
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 2

    Re: Weather gurus: Tues and Wed weather

    helloo




    I WAS THERE!!!!!!

  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 29,364, Level: 52
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 386
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,698
    Points
    29,364
    Level
    52
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    Re: Weather gurus: Tues and Wed weather

    My thoughts are 5-8 over Tuesday and Wednesday for Pocahontas, a tricky forecast due to temperatures that are going to be right around freezing.



  8. #8
    All-Star
    Points: 21,599, Level: 44
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 51
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    sunnysideup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Metro
    Posts
    1,176
    Points
    21,599
    Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 7

    Re: Weather gurus: Tues and Wed weather

    For those that care the DSM metro area just got included into the winter storm watch. 4-7 inches possible.

    National Weather Service Watch Warning Advisory Summary


    Yeah TOAST!!!

  9. #9
    Pro
    Points: 96,756, Level: 96
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 294
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    FDWxMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    2,142
    Points
    96,756
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 5

    Re: Weather gurus: Tues and Wed weather

    Quote Originally Posted by sunnysideup View Post
    For those that care the DSM metro area just got included into the winter storm watch. 4-7 inches possible.

    National Weather Service Watch Warning Advisory Summary
    Yeah, uh, not really sure that was necessary on their part.

    Maybe 1-2" of wet slushy stuff in Ames...maybe 1" in DSM...I'm just not really seeing 4-7 right now. I could be wrong, I'm sticking with the yesterday's/this morning's forecast.



  10. #10
    Pro
    Points: 96,756, Level: 96
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 294
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    FDWxMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    2,142
    Points
    96,756
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 5

    Re: Weather gurus: Tues and Wed weather

    Still pretty warm...might end up seeing the switch to snow, but still above 32, melting the snow as we go along, also making 4-7 seem way too aggressive right now.



  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 29,364, Level: 52
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 386
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,698
    Points
    29,364
    Level
    52
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    Re: Weather gurus: Tues and Wed weather

    Quote Originally Posted by FDWxMan View Post
    Still pretty warm...might end up seeing the switch to snow, but still above 32, melting the snow as we go along, also making 4-7 seem way too aggressive right now.
    Agree, things look a drier on the cold side of the system than they did yesterday.



  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 96,756, Level: 96
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 294
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    FDWxMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    2,142
    Points
    96,756
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 5

    Re: Weather gurus: Tues and Wed weather

    Quote Originally Posted by Iastfan112 View Post
    Agree, things look a drier on the cold side of the system than they did yesterday.
    I could see it maybe farther north or NE, but I don't really get it for the Metro and that midday expansion, i think the old watch was just fine...



  13. #13
    All-Star
    Points: 42,051, Level: 63
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 899
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MNCYWX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Spamville, MN
    Posts
    1,127
    Points
    42,051
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 10

    Re: Weather gurus: Tues and Wed weather

    I'm going 3-6" Isolated spots a touch higher in southern Minnesota into parts of northern Iowa with many around 4 or 5 inches of wet, heavy snow by tomorrow evening. Ice/Rain will try to work it's way in southeast of a line from LaCrosse, WI to Charles City, IA. SE of that line, snow totals won't be as high.

    Pocahontas will be on the drier side of the storm. You'll see all snow, now liquid or ice. I'd expect about 3 or 4" around that location.

    As mentioned earlier... snow melting as it falls will need to be watched but I think given it will be night, that should limit the amount of melting seen... especially in northern Iowa and southern Minnesota where there is still a considerable amount of snow on the grass. Road temps are hovering in the lower/middle 40s so it might take a little bit to start accumulating on pavement.

    I'll let FDwx et. al. take care of the metro. I haven't focused on the situation down there at all.

    With that said, I'd expect NWS DMX to come out with a Winter Wx Advisory soon to replace the Winter Storm Watch.


    Last edited by MNCYWX; 03-08-2011 at 03:28 PM.
    "Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it." -- Albert Einstein

  14. #14
    Pro
    Points: 22,763, Level: 46
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 787
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    2,124
    Points
    22,763
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Weather gurus: Tues and Wed weather

    im gonna guess we're gonna pull an east coast and get 2-3 feet over 2-3 days...and still have class the next day



  15. #15
    Pro
    Points: 29,364, Level: 52
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 386
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,698
    Points
    29,364
    Level
    52
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    Re: Weather gurus: Tues and Wed weather

    Quote Originally Posted by MNCYWX View Post
    I'm going 3-6" Isolated spots a touch higher in southern Minnesota into parts of northern Iowa with many around 4 or 5 inches of wet, heavy snow by tomorrow evening. Ice/Rain will try to work it's way in southeast of a line from LaCrosse, WI to Charles City, IA. SE of that line, snow totals won't be as high.

    Pocahontas will be on the drier side of the storm. You'll see all snow, now liquid or ice. I'd expect about 3 or 4" around that location.

    As mentioned earlier... snow melting as it falls will need to be watched but I think given it will be night, that should limit the amount of melting seen... especially in northern Iowa and southern Minnesota where there is still a considerable amount of snow on the grass. Road temps are hovering in the lower/middle 40s so it might take a little bit to start accumulating on pavement.

    I'll let FDwx et. al. take care of the metro. I haven't focused on the situation down there at all.

    With that said, I'd expect NWS DMX to come out with a Winter Wx Advisory soon to replace the Winter Storm Watch.
    Quite frankly I think your take is pretty spot on, that said in the just released DMX afd they are sticking with an area of winter storm warnings. National Weather Service Text Product Display
    WILL GO WITH WARNING CRITERIA SNOW N OF KDSM NEWD INTO THE KALO AREA. SURROUNDING THAT WILL BE A LARGE ADVY FOR 3-5 INCHES OVR AN 18 HR PERIOD. DID NOT GO WITH ANY BLSN DUE TO THE WET NATURE OF THE SNOW



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM