Dish v. Cable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Dish v. Cable

  1. #1
    Pro
    Points: 47,482, Level: 67
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 868
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    PabloDiablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    2,817
    Points
    47,482
    Level
    67
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 202
    Given: 205

    Dish v. Cable

    Wife and I are moving to a new house and have the opportunity to get out from under the cable monopoly that our apartment complex has set up. We are exploring our options and noticing that Direct TV has way cheaper options than the local cable company, Cox Cable.

    Many of our friends have Cox and are very satisfied with the service and quality they receive but acknowledge the high cost.

    My question is whether Direct TV and other satellite options are a good idea in the midwest with the weather and storms. Does anyone out there have any insight/experience with a dish in the midwest that could help me out?



  2. #2
    Rookie
    Points: 10,807, Level: 31
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 443
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Clones33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    WDM, IA
    Posts
    537
    Points
    10,807
    Level
    31
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: Dish v. Cable

    I did the same thing last year. Moved from a cable only apt to a home. I went with Dish (DirecTV) because I like to watch a lot of different sports (gambling related) and they had the best packages. It does get a little pricey, but I enjoy it.

    The only complaint I have had is the weather. There are times when my dish goes out or gets the digital pixilated look and it can be very annoying. If you live in an area where you can get whatever you want from cable, I would suggest going with them. It all really depends on what you enjoy watching, how much you'll spend, and how much the storms will bug you.


    Follow me on Twitter: @spostma3 ( http://twitter.com/#!/spostma3 )

    Read my Blog: http://average-steve.blogspot.com/

  3. #3
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 35,647, Level: 58
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,003
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    3,520
    Points
    35,647
    Level
    58
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 213
    Given: 0

    Re: Dish v. Cable

    I was like you about two years ago. I always had cable but then moved into a house where there was Dish Network. You won't lose your service as much as you think due to storms/high winds. When it does happen though, it will drive you nuts...like me, you're used to cable where you never lost service.


    ABC - Always Be Closing

  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 171,182, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Stewo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    7,239
    Points
    171,182
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 442
    Given: 116

    Re: Dish v. Cable

    A dish will give you many more options, but cable is typically more reliable. To me, it's well worth the chance that crappy weather might interfere with my reception and that's why we have DirecTV.



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 91,556, Level: 94
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,594
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CYdTracked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    8,700
    Points
    91,556
    Level
    94
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 8

    Re: Dish v. Cable

    As far as reliability yes you'll lose signal for a bit at times during a storm but I had such a bad expirience with Mediacom here in Des Moines my cable and internet both were out way more often than I have since I switched to Dish and DSL. I'd recommend making the decision based on pricing if you don't have concerns about service.


    Go Cubs Go!

  6. #6
    Walk On
    Points: 9,647, Level: 29
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 303
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    150
    Points
    9,647
    Level
    29
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Dish v. Cable

    I think satellite (I have Dish Network) gives you many more options for programming and is especially good for houses with multiple TVs. We have 10 tvs in our house and the Dish Network setup with the dual tuner receivers works really well.

    We had Mediacom before switching to satellite and it just didn't work out very well. At that time, you essentially had to have a separate receiver for each tv. That may have changed in the last three years...

    I really haven't had many issues with weather related outages. Maybe 2-3 times per year with a really bad storm but we had that many outages with Mediacom. I do still have Mediacom for internet however because that's my speediest option.



  7. #7
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 9,079, Level: 28
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 271
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, IA
    Posts
    259
    Points
    9,079
    Level
    28
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 14

    Re: Dish v. Cable

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkcigar View Post
    I think satellite (I have Dish Network) gives you many more options for programming and is especially good for houses with multiple TVs. We have 10 tvs in our house and the Dish Network setup with the dual tuner receivers works really well.

    We had Mediacom before switching to satellite and it just didn't work out very well. At that time, you essentially had to have a separate receiver for each tv. That may have changed in the last three years...

    I really haven't had many issues with weather related outages. Maybe 2-3 times per year with a really bad storm but we had that many outages with Mediacom. I do still have Mediacom for internet however because that's my speediest option.
    10? Really? 10 TVs? I love to watch TV as much as the next guy, but still only have 2 in my house.

    And for what it is worth, I have Dish Network and think it works better, gives more variety and choices then Mediacom ever did through cable.


    Your shopping cart, like your impoverished soul, is empty.

  8. #8
    All-Star
    Points: 38,022, Level: 60
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,028
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    ISU_phoria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Andover, MN
    Posts
    1,899
    Points
    38,022
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 3

    Re: Dish v. Cable

    Dish network here too. I've had Dish for about 10 years and have been quite happy. At least happy enough that I've never considered switching to something else.

    I do lose a signal occassionally during a bad T-Storm or Blizzard, but that is quite infrequent and only lasts a short time. When the weather is that bad, I typically want to watch the local channels anyway, to find out more about the weather. So, I bought an over-the-air HD antenna for my TV and when my Dish occassionally goes out, I just watch the 12-15 channels I can get over the air (many in HD). For about $30 (if I remember correctly) I bought an adapter from Dish that allowed me to connect my antenna directly to my Dish Receiver, so switching to the OTA channels is pretty seemless.


    Last edited by ISU_phoria; 03-07-2011 at 03:40 PM.

  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 66,681, Level: 80
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,369
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Rogue52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    6,054
    Points
    66,681
    Level
    80
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 161
    Given: 4

    Re: Dish v. Cable

    The weather issue is severly overblown. If you lose your signal during a storm (and that's a big IF), it is a very short time. I've never lost a signal for more than a couple minutes.

    If your dish antenna is partially obstructed by growth, there is opportunity to lose signal more frequently due to weather. An obstructed view of the sky will result in minimal signal loss.

    I would say in the course of a year, I can count the number of times I've lost signal on one hand and I watch a lot of television.



  10. #10
    All-Star
    Points: 18,093, Level: 41
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 857
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,335
    Points
    18,093
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 1

    Re: Dish v. Cable

    Quote Originally Posted by PabloDiablo View Post
    Wife and I are moving to a new house and have the opportunity to get out from under the cable monopoly that our apartment complex has set up. We are exploring our options and noticing that Direct TV has way cheaper options than the local cable company, Cox Cable.

    Many of our friends have Cox and are very satisfied with the service and quality they receive but acknowledge the high cost.

    My question is whether Direct TV and other satellite options are a good idea in the midwest with the weather and storms. Does anyone out there have any insight/experience with a dish in the midwest that could help me out?

    I only lose signal during the very heaviest of storms. If it's just overcast and sprinkling, my service is fine. That's when a DVR comes in handy ... when you can't watch TV because of a storm, you can always watch something you DVR'd earlier until the storm goes away.



  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 91,556, Level: 94
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,594
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CYdTracked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    8,700
    Points
    91,556
    Level
    94
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 8

    Re: Dish v. Cable

    Quote Originally Posted by kmcbrid View Post
    10? Really? 10 TVs? I love to watch TV as much as the next guy, but still only have 2 in my house.

    And for what it is worth, I have Dish Network and think it works better, gives more variety and choices then Mediacom ever did through cable.
    No kidding, please list where all these TV are located within your house. We have 4 and 2 of them don't get used a whole lot.


    Go Cubs Go!

  12. #12
    Legend
    Points: 209,708, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    50131
    Posts
    13,901
    Points
    209,708
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 436
    Given: 642

    Re: Dish v. Cable

    Maybe I've got a great signal or something but I bet I haven't lost my signal for more than an hour in the last 2 years. This is a non issue for me.



  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 59,802, Level: 75
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 248
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    simply1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    5,611
    Points
    59,802
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 71
    Given: 7

    Re: Dish v. Cable

    Not a big deal for me either, lose it for a few minutes with the heaviest thunderstorms from time to time.


    I don't do signatures. Blondes, brunettes, and red heads are a different story.

  14. #14
    All-Star
    Points: 31,661, Level: 54
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 289
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CYcoFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    1,204
    Points
    31,661
    Level
    54
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 4

    Re: Dish v. Cable

    The loss of reception due to a storm is way overblown as others have said.

    However, the biggest seller will be HD channels. You have far more HD Options with DirecTv than you do Cable (even the biggest Cable provider doesn't offer as many HD chans as DirecTv). DirecTv and Dish Net provide free HD as long as the channel is in one of your packages. Mediacom has to be one of the worst Cable providers in the country as far as HD goes. Mediacom has 100 channels dedicated to music and we can't get Versus or ESPNU in HD.



  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 164,488, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran
    CtownCyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    8,901
    Points
    164,488
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 185
    Given: 112

    Re: Dish v. Cable

    Quote Originally Posted by kmcbrid View Post
    10? Really? 10 TVs? I love to watch TV as much as the next guy, but still only have 2 in my house.

    And for what it is worth, I have Dish Network and think it works better, gives more variety and choices then Mediacom ever did through cable.
    "Lorraine, he's teasing you. Nobody has 2 television sets!"

    Scary to think that I have 4 and I live by myself. No, I don't throw anything away, but I'm no hoarder!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue52 View Post
    The weather issue is severly overblown. If you lose your signal during a storm (and that's a big IF), it is a very short time. I've never lost a signal for more than a couple minutes.

    If your dish antenna is partially obstructed by growth, there is opportunity to lose signal more frequently due to weather. An obstructed view of the sky will result in minimal signal loss.

    I would say in the course of a year, I can count the number of times I've lost signal on one hand and I watch a lot of television.
    I would agree with this, even in the Houston area. We get our fair share of heavy rain, but I rarely lose signal. If it's really coming down hard, I'll get the static, but again, that's probably happened fewer than 5 times in the year and a half I've been here. Now I haven't lived through a hurricane, but...



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Mediacom 22
  • HOOPS: Iowa State vs. Drake
  • December 20, 2014
  • 04:00 PM