Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 179
    Given: 177

Dish v. Cable

Wife and I are moving to a new house and have the opportunity to get out from under the cable monopoly that our apartment complex has set up. We are exploring our options and noticing that Direct TV has way cheaper options than the local cable company, Cox Cable.

Many of our friends have Cox and are very satisfied with the service and quality they receive but acknowledge the high cost.

My question is whether Direct TV and other satellite options are a good idea in the midwest with the weather and storms. Does anyone out there have any insight/experience with a dish in the midwest that could help me out?

Rookie
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 351
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Dish v. Cable

I did the same thing last year. Moved from a cable only apt to a home. I went with Dish (DirecTV) because I like to watch a lot of different sports (gambling related) and they had the best packages. It does get a little pricey, but I enjoy it.

The only complaint I have had is the weather. There are times when my dish goes out or gets the digital pixilated look and it can be very annoying. If you live in an area where you can get whatever you want from cable, I would suggest going with them. It all really depends on what you enjoy watching, how much you'll spend, and how much the storms will bug you.

Follow me on Twitter: @spostma3 ( http://twitter.com/#!/spostma3 )

Read my Blog: http://average-steve.blogspot.com/

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 500
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 107

I was like you about two years ago. I always had cable but then moved into a house where there was Dish Network. You won't lose your service as much as you think due to storms/high winds. When it does happen though, it will drive you nuts...like me, you're used to cable where you never lost service.

ABC - Always Be Closing

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 228
    Given: 59

A dish will give you many more options, but cable is typically more reliable. To me, it's well worth the chance that crappy weather might interfere with my reception and that's why we have DirecTV.

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 7

As far as reliability yes you'll lose signal for a bit at times during a storm but I had such a bad expirience with Mediacom here in Des Moines my cable and internet both were out way more often than I have since I switched to Dish and DSL. I'd recommend making the decision based on pricing if you don't have concerns about service.

Go Cubs Go!

Walk On
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 486
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I think satellite (I have Dish Network) gives you many more options for programming and is especially good for houses with multiple TVs. We have 10 tvs in our house and the Dish Network setup with the dual tuner receivers works really well.

We had Mediacom before switching to satellite and it just didn't work out very well. At that time, you essentially had to have a separate receiver for each tv. That may have changed in the last three years...

I really haven't had many issues with weather related outages. Maybe 2-3 times per year with a really bad storm but we had that many outages with Mediacom. I do still have Mediacom for internet however because that's my speediest option.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 429
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkcigar View Post
    I think satellite (I have Dish Network) gives you many more options for programming and is especially good for houses with multiple TVs. We have 10 tvs in our house and the Dish Network setup with the dual tuner receivers works really well.

We had Mediacom before switching to satellite and it just didn't work out very well. At that time, you essentially had to have a separate receiver for each tv. That may have changed in the last three years...

I really haven't had many issues with weather related outages. Maybe 2-3 times per year with a really bad storm but we had that many outages with Mediacom. I do still have Mediacom for internet however because that's my speediest option.
    10? Really? 10 TVs? I love to watch TV as much as the next guy, but still only have 2 in my house.

And for what it is worth, I have Dish Network and think it works better, gives more variety and choices then Mediacom ever did through cable.

Your shopping cart, like your impoverished soul, is empty.

All-Star
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 866
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 1

Dish network here too. I've had Dish for about 10 years and have been quite happy. At least happy enough that I've never considered switching to something else.

I do lose a signal occassionally during a bad T-Storm or Blizzard, but that is quite infrequent and only lasts a short time. When the weather is that bad, I typically want to watch the local channels anyway, to find out more about the weather. So, I bought an over-the-air HD antenna for my TV and when my Dish occassionally goes out, I just watch the 12-15 channels I can get over the air (many in HD). For about $30 (if I remember correctly) I bought an adapter from Dish that allowed me to connect my antenna directly to my Dish Receiver, so switching to the OTA channels is pretty seemless.

Last edited by ISU_phoria; 03-07-2011 at 02:40 PM.

Addict
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,592
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 2

The weather issue is severly overblown. If you lose your signal during a storm (and that's a big IF), it is a very short time. I've never lost a signal for more than a couple minutes.

If your dish antenna is partially obstructed by growth, there is opportunity to lose signal more frequently due to weather. An obstructed view of the sky will result in minimal signal loss.

I would say in the course of a year, I can count the number of times I've lost signal on one hand and I watch a lot of television.

All-Star
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 92
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by PabloDiablo View Post
    Wife and I are moving to a new house and have the opportunity to get out from under the cable monopoly that our apartment complex has set up. We are exploring our options and noticing that Direct TV has way cheaper options than the local cable company, Cox Cable.

Many of our friends have Cox and are very satisfied with the service and quality they receive but acknowledge the high cost.

My question is whether Direct TV and other satellite options are a good idea in the midwest with the weather and storms. Does anyone out there have any insight/experience with a dish in the midwest that could help me out?

I only lose signal during the very heaviest of storms. If it's just overcast and sprinkling, my service is fine. That's when a DVR comes in handy ... when you can't watch TV because of a storm, you can always watch something you DVR'd earlier until the storm goes away.

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 7

Quote Originally Posted by kmcbrid View Post
    10? Really? 10 TVs? I love to watch TV as much as the next guy, but still only have 2 in my house.

And for what it is worth, I have Dish Network and think it works better, gives more variety and choices then Mediacom ever did through cable.
    No kidding, please list where all these TV are located within your house. We have 4 and 2 of them don't get used a whole lot.

Go Cubs Go!

Legend
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 266
    Given: 370

Maybe I've got a great signal or something but I bet I haven't lost my signal for more than an hour in the last 2 years. This is a non issue for me.

Addict
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 6

Not a big deal for me either, lose it for a few minutes with the heaviest thunderstorms from time to time.

I don't do signatures. Blondes, brunettes, and red heads are a different story.

All-Star
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 885
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 4

The loss of reception due to a storm is way overblown as others have said.

However, the biggest seller will be HD channels. You have far more HD Options with DirecTv than you do Cable (even the biggest Cable provider doesn't offer as many HD chans as DirecTv). DirecTv and Dish Net provide free HD as long as the channel is in one of your packages. Mediacom has to be one of the worst Cable providers in the country as far as HD goes. Mediacom has 100 channels dedicated to music and we can't get Versus or ESPNU in HD.

Addict
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 99
    Given: 85

Quote Originally Posted by kmcbrid View Post

"Lorraine, he's teasing you. Nobody has 2 television sets!"

Scary to think that I have 4 and I live by myself. No, I don't throw anything away, but I'm no hoarder!

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue52 View Post
    The weather issue is severly overblown. If you lose your signal during a storm (and that's a big IF), it is a very short time. I've never lost a signal for more than a couple minutes.

If your dish antenna is partially obstructed by growth, there is opportunity to lose signal more frequently due to weather. An obstructed view of the sky will result in minimal signal loss.

I would say in the course of a year, I can count the number of times I've lost signal on one hand and I watch a lot of television.
    I would agree with this, even in the Houston area. We get our fair share of heavy rain, but I rarely lose signal. If it's really coming down hard, I'll get the static, but again, that's probably happened fewer than 5 times in the year and a half I've been here. Now I haven't lived through a hurricane, but...