Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 339
    Given: 360

Electrical help/Hunter fan

You ever had one of those days where nothing, not even the simplest task, goes right? Well, apparently I screwed up installing a light bulb.

I installed a new bulb on a ceiling fan with the switch on, which I guess you should not do, and as soon as it made contact it popped and blew the bulb out of its base. I got the base out, checked the breaker, everything's fine, long story short, turn power back on and NOTHING. No fan, no light. Everything else in the room works fine.

So the fan and light both operate by wireless remote, they're connected to one wall switch, which is always on so you can use the remote. When I click on one of the fan buttons to change the speed or turn the fan off and on, I can hear it click but as I said nothing happens.

A friend suggested maybe it blew out the remote receiver. Figuring it was worth a try I went out and bought a new one at Home Depot for $45. Now I'm kind of debating the odds of should I waste $45 by installing this thing that might not work or just buy a new fan and be done with it.

Anyone else had anything similar happen before? Can it be fixed? Should I even bother?

Appreciate any of your expertise. This site is the greatest.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 208
    Given: 158

Re: Electrical help/Hunter fan

Hunter fans suck. I had the same type as you where it was operated by remote only. The remote receiver went out and the wall switch would only turn the light on, not the fan. So I bought a new receiver. Same thing happened less than six months later and they wanted me to buy another new receiver. I threw the whole fan away and bought a different brand. Google "Hunter fan issues" and you'll come up with lots of stories similar to mine.

Regardless of the brand, I wouldn't buy another fan that only operates by remote. Get one with switches on the fan/light in case the remote goes out.

EDIT: I guess I didn't really answer your question. Yes, it sounds like the receiver is your problem. No, I wouldn't bother getting a new receiver. Get a new fan (not Hunter).

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 847
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 128

I had a similar problem with a fan in my last house. One day, the fan just stopped working (the light still worked though). I'd push the buttons on the remote and it would just make a clicking noise.

I installed a new receiver and the problem was fixed. Mine was still under warranty so they replaced it for free.

Pro
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 564
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51
    Given: 27

Quote Originally Posted by 1100011CS View Post
    Hunter fans suck. I had the same type as you where it was operated by remote only. The remote receiver went out and the wall switch would only turn the light on, not the fan. So I bought a new receiver. Same thing happened less than six months later and they wanted me to buy another new receiver. I threw the whole fan away and bought a different brand. Google "Hunter fan issues" and you'll come up with lots of stories similar to mine.

Regardless of the brand, I wouldn't buy another fan that only operates by remote. Get one with switches on the fan/light in case the remote goes out.

EDIT: I guess I didn't really answer your question. Yes, it sounds like the receiver is your problem. No, I wouldn't bother getting a new receiver. Get a new fan (not Hunter).
    +1 When we remodeled and enlarged our kitchen, our electrician told us to not get a Hunter fan. We listened and have been very happy.

All-Star
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 336
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 49
    Given: 26

We have four Hunter fans in our house. The newest is at least five years old. None are remote controlled. They all have performed flawlessly.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 339
    Given: 360

I installed the new remote and receiver last night and that appeared to fix the problem. Until about 2am when the fan and light started turning themselves off and on randomly. I googled this and found it is a common problem with P.O.S. Hunter remote controls. I'm taking the unit back and looking for a hardwired (not wireless) unit. If I can't find one I may resort to going back to the dark ages and using pull chains. Or last resort buying a new fan.