Hawk Troubles worse then first thought....
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Pro
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,212
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 3

Hawk Troubles worse then first thought....

Did anyone else hear this morning on KOEL 98.5 Bucky & Kate made reference to the two facebook celebs Bouman and Douglas are in the process of identifying additional U of I players that have participated to Ia City authorities.....UH ohhhhhhhhhh

Could this really be much worse then anticipated? Could this jeopardize EIU's season? This might keep them from not winning the Big Ten, or playing for the national championship as many a hawk fan have been squaking....

But, the EIU fans will find a bright spot as i saw on their message board on one of the ref's yesterday, this incident and subsequent suspensions/incarcerations will help in the 2008 recruiting??? Maybe getting Kirk Ferentz fired will help in recruiting a new coach and A.D. too????

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 773
    Given: 616

Re: Hawk Troubles worse then first thought....

I hope they dont fire Ferentz. I really dont want to see UofI get alot of bad publicity. I am no fan of the hawkeyes, but what goes bad and ugly for them puts a black spot on the look of Iowa as well. Sad but true.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 586
    Given: 361

When I first saw what happened one of my earlier thoughts was, this isn't just two/three guys. There are a few more involved.

Seems that may be true.

I wouldn't bank on it yet as all the details aren't out yet, but this could be a very bad thing for this year's Iowa football team and a huge black eye for their program.

Rookie
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 58
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by KMAC_ATTACK View Post
    Could this jeopardize EIU's season? This might keep them from not winning the Big Ten, or playing for the national championship
    No worries. Title shot is still within reach. Remember, Ferentz reloads, he doesn't rebuild.

All-Star
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 93
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 9

Question Re: Hawk Troubles worse then first thought....

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    I wouldn't bank on it yet as all the details aren't out yet, but this could be a very bad thing for this year's Iowa football team and a huge black eye for their program.
    Question(s):

1) NFL teams spend significant time and money on background checks. What do college teams do in this regard?

2) Counting walk-ons, the average D1 college team probably has, what, say 120 players on the team? I assume the coaching staff is busy with coaching and recruiting. Is there an administrative level staff charged with making sure they go to class and monitoring off-field activities, including social web-sites?

I seriously don't know the answer to these questions. Ultimately, KF will take responsibility (much as Bob Stoops did with Brett Romar) because it's his program, but is any of this really his fault? Where is the "break-down" in the system that allowed for these guys to do what they did (steal credit cards, use them, post photos of ill-gotten gain on public websites)? Who should have known about this and when should they have known it?

Postscript: I know KF in passing as our sons go to school and play sports together. He seems like a stand-up guy to me, yet people on this site are making comments like "he filled out the forms for his players to live in subsidized housing"! What are a head coaches responsibilities; where do they end and is it really fair to scrutinize him for the actions of rogue players?

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain

Addict
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 157
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by iccyfan View Post
    Postscript: I know KF in passing as our sons go to school and play sports together. He seems like a stand-up guy to me, yet people on this site are making comments like "he filled out the forms for his players to live in subsidized housing"! What are a head coaches responsibilities; where do they end and is it really fair to scrutinize him for the actions of rogue players?
    I don't know if people are accusing him of authorizing it (I doubt any head coach would be involved in creating that sort of benefit for his players), but the accusation is that he consistently turned the other way when arrests occured, reports of free housing for his players came around, etc. It may not be his fault, but it is his responsibility that the football program is run cleanly.

Go Sssssssssyclones!

Addict
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,594
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 8

I just love some of the calls to Marty and Miller yesterday that were "the team will rally around this" crap and for once I agreed with Marty who said this isn't something you'll rally around, it's something that will be a distraction and a negative. It's not going to make the Hawks play any better or win more.

Gotta love the thinking on this one, they lose their #1 and #4 receivers and there could possibly be more players named later in this and that makes the team better how?

All-Star Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

I don't think that the subsidized housing is just a few "rogue players". I've heard from a former Mac assistant that KF and staff actually used that as a recruiting pitch. "Come to iowa and you can live in cheap housing and pocket your room and board money". If there are still players living there (and I've heard that there are) then that is pathetic and KF isn't near the stand-up guy that UI would have you believe.

XXXX Master Shake is under gag order XXXX

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by AirWalke View Post
    I don't know if people are accusing him of authorizing it (I doubt any head coach would be involved in creating that sort of benefit for his players), but the accusation is that he consistently turned the other way when arrests occured, reports of free housing for his players came around, etc. It may not be his fault, but it is his responsibility that the football program is run cleanly.
    I think Kirk for the most part runs a pretty tight ship but with this latest stuff as Marty and Miller said "the bank account is starting to get dry." The whole housing thing he definately messed up on. For crying out loud his own son was living there! How do you not know your son is living in low income housing? Hell I'd almost bet they helped move him in. How do you not know where your players are living? I'm sure these guys get visits from time to time by coaching staff and probably have stuff sent to their residence so SOMEONE in the athletic department you'd think would have brought it to attention that it could be bad press to have athletes living there.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bmuff View Post
    I don't think that the subsidized housing is just a few "rogue players". I've heard from a former Mac assistant that KF and staff actually used that as a recruiting pitch. "Come to iowa and you can live in cheap housing and pocket your room and board money". If there are still players living there (and I've heard that there are) then that is pathetic and KF isn't near the stand-up guy that UI would have you believe.
    The pocketing of room and board money is something that happens everywhere including ISU. Everyone gets a flat "going rate" regardless where you live. Some athletes would find the cheapest living arrangements they could which meant whatever was leftover from their room and board money they could spend on whatever. It's not a perfect system, I'm guessing that if they asked every athlete to turn in receipts for rent, food, etc. it'd be way too much administrative work and the money saved would just go towards staffing people to handle the accounting for a program like this.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 586
    Given: 361

Quote Originally Posted by iccyfan View Post
    Question(s):

1) NFL teams spend significant time and money on background checks. What do college teams do in this regard?

2) Counting walk-ons, the average D1 college team probably has, what, say 120 players on the team? I assume the coaching staff is busy with coaching and recruiting. Is there an administrative level staff charged with making sure they go to class and monitoring off-field activities, including social web-sites?

I seriously don't know the answer to these questions. Ultimately, KF will take responsibility (much as Bob Stoops did with Brett Romar) because it's his program, but is any of this really his fault? Where is the "break-down" in the system that allowed for these guys to do what they did (steal credit cards, use them, post photos of ill-gotten gain on public websites)? Who should have known about this and when should they have known it?

Great post.

Addict
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 898
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 14

I saw a post on HN yesturday, the thread was titled something like.... Will the suspensions of DD and AB effect Iowa's chances at 10 wins????

Then I got to thinking to myself and I said no. Cause even with them they weren't going to get 10 wins lol

Legend
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 404
    Given: 463

Iowa fan is trying to make this out like Sal Anesea (SP?). Like they are all going to go to the middle of the field before games and point to the sky for Dominique Doughlas, Arvell Nelson, and the other guy who stole the Credit Cards. It's pretty funny.

Starter Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    Iowa fan is trying to make this out like Sal Anesea (SP?). Like they are all going to go to the middle of the field before games and point to the sky for Dominique Doughlas, Arvell Nelson, and the other guy who stole the Credit Cards. It's pretty funny.

What did Arvell Nelson do other than not show up for a ticket? He hasn't been linked to any credit card stuff, has he?

As far as the pics go, who cares? Not me. If you look at any of those sites, you see the majority of kids (white, black, green) taking almost satirical pics---especially the ladies who seem to like to pose promiscuously. I doubt all of them are truly that way.

The pics make them look bad, but in reality, mean little.

A three legged dog walks into a bar and says, "I'm lookin' for the man who shot my paw."

POOTMFS
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,799
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I think it's just a huge misunderstanding.
    How do we know that these aren't Halloween pics and they were going to a party in their costumes?
    But seriously folks, don't you think this hurts EIU's "street cred", they're flashing 20's and 50's. How embarassing.
    They can't expect to compete for 5 star athletes when their own players are holding empty bottles of booze and a few bucks.