Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 253
    Given: 94

FB uniform impact on the rest of our athletic identity

So what effect does everybody think this football uniform overhaul is going to have on our basketball, wrestling, track, soccer, etc., etc. uniforms?

If we're going to be consistent and "build a brand," will the athletic department be willing to go cardinal and gold and ditch our current athletic marks on all uniforms and athletic communications?

Even though I'm not liking those white helmets and new marks, we better go all the way, or we will be further muddying the waters.

Addict
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,367
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 43

Re: FB uniform impact on the rest of our athletic identity

I personally like our current basketball uniforms, especially the road ones now that the navy blue was removed. It'd be nice to pull out the yellow unis once in awhile, not sure if we used them last year or not. Wrestling could use a facelift.

Walk On
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

I honestly don't understand the step back in addressing new uniforms... I appreciate the level in which McCarney took the program... a "next level" from where it was when he took over. Uniforms changes and a new logo was apart of that... so to take the next step... another level, why are we so wrapped up in the uniform and changes ? More importantly is the on the field product. I personally thought the change of the face mask from blue to white was a subtle but noticeable improvement. RED unis on RED pants from me wasnt a bad look... I even liked the white pants sported by the Davis Era... but to over haul the look I think is not that necessary. If it's gonna happen, then I choose the ISU Logo helmet. Cyclones wave helmet is too much like the past. I-State isn't our name. I vote for ISU logo.

Name another Big 12 school that has changed their look ? Won't buy a helmet anytime soon in fear of change.

In terms of basketball- I like the gold on gold look seen in the past for big games

Go Clones... and dont forget your "pocket aces" this season
    Go #15

Starter
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 126
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 26

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone15 View Post
    Name another Big 12 school that has changed their look ?
    Kansas has new helmets for this year. This is actually their ninth look since 1987. Talk about an identity crisis.

Rookie Achievements:
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Drive4cy View Post
    I personally like our current basketball uniforms, especially the road ones now that the navy blue was removed. It'd be nice to pull out the yellow unis once in awhile, not sure if we used them last year or not. Wrestling could use a facelift.
    Wrestling just had new singlets this last year I believe.

Rookie
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 234
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

the new or should I say old look helmets are ok, but nothing exciting... what really sucks is that people want to emphasize yellow more and more... I liked the red red red look. The yellow isn't very masculine not to mention we look like the McCyclones. Yuck

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 422
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 721

Here is a cool site for changes in helmets...just thought of the site as I read this thread...check out the Big XII helmets and the evolution of each helmet...as well as other conferences and leagues:

The Helmet Project

Sorry if this link has already been posted...but it is fun to check out!

All-Star
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 299
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 3

The direction the athletic department is taking in regards to school colors is long over due. The deeper cardinal and yellow/gold colors were ISU's colors forever until the late 80's. They are purging our system of blue, and attempting to make our image more identifiable. I'm not going to argue about our current logo, but its indescernable when reduced in size for hats, tv, shorts (red logo on red helmet) etc....this is a problem and the new logo options solve this problem. As we know everyone has different fashion sense (some good and some bad- if you wear a tweed belt and jean shorts, you have bad fashion sense) so regardless of the uniform design chosen people will be complaining. I have a feeling once fans see the real thing next season, they will be pleasantly surprised.

Walk On
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I prefer the "swoosh" style ISU and IOWA STATE font when buying appareil.... not much into the "busy" looking full CY-Logo on the current helmet so I do see your point about hard to merchandise.

Why not use the "new look" font of ISU or IOWA STATE minus the "cy-guy" cartoon character ? Take our current decal and chop top and bottom off.. leaving ISU... proposed logos look TOO OLD SCHOOL for recruiting... styling preference of the younger impressionable crowd... we better get this right and not take a step backwards

Go Clones
    Go #15 (dont forget your "pocket aces")

All-Star
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 398
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21

Quote Originally Posted by Prone2Clone View Post
    So what effect does everybody think this football uniform overhaul is going to have on our basketball, wrestling, track, soccer, etc., etc. uniforms?

If we're going to be consistent and "build a brand," will the athletic department be willing to go cardinal and gold and ditch our current athletic marks on all uniforms and athletic communications?

Even though I'm not liking those white helmets and new marks, we better go all the way, or we will be further muddying the waters.
    You are correct ... every time you mess with the logo you confuse the brand. Take John Deere, for example. In 170-some years the company has only had about 7 different logos ... the last three of which have been basically variations of the same basic leaping deer design. Colors have never changed. As a result, the Deere trademark is one of the most recognizable in the world. And EVERYBODY knows John Deere green and yellow. Does Deere change it's trademark every time a new CEO comes on board? Nope. It's not about board of directors or the company's individual divisions ... it's about the company as a whole. Just as it should be with ISU. Pollard seems like a bright guy, so why doesn't he do the right thing and hire a good design firm that can put together a timeless look with long-term legs that becomes the ISU "look and feel" for the next 25 years?

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I think if they roll out a bunch of "I State" crap, I'm not going to buy any of it. Like Cyclone15 said, we're not "I State", and I don't support a move towards becoming it

Rookie
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 591
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I like the ISU helmet the best as well. I'm really not feeling this whole I-State thing. It doesn't roll off the tongue like K-State, and it's actually harder to say than just "Iowa State". Also, someone needs to tell JP we're confused with other ISU schools like Illinois State not because of our logo, but because of poor football teams which get us zero national recognition. I guarantee if we go with the ISU helmet design and get to a BCS game, then people will start noticing us as "the" ISU.

I still like the tornado bird logo. I think it looks great on the football field and on Hilton's floor. But, some logos don't transfer well to a football helmet. Most schools have multiple logos. Mich St puts an "S" on their helmet, and not Sparty or the spartan battle helmet; Mich doesn't have their block "M" on theirs; and Mizzou goes with the block "M" rather than their tiger logo. So I see no reason why we can't keep the ol' spinning bird, whatever the new helmet design might be.

All-Star Achievements:

Thumbs Up

What we are seeing is an athletic department try to establish an identity apart from the past.

We have not been consistently good at anything, with the possible exception of women's basketball, and I think that what is happening is that the people in charge want to announce to the world that we are no longer a doormat. In their opinion, it is best if we go completely in the opposite direction. Let's wait and see what happens.

Jeffrey A Crawford

All-Star
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 170
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Flag Guy View Post
    I think if they roll out a bunch of "I State" crap, I'm not going to buy any of it. Like Cyclone15 said, we're not "I State", and I don't support a move towards becoming it
    I agree, I don't like the I State thing at all. It sounds terrible and it's just not my school. My school is Iowa State and ISU.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 334
    Given: 56

The best thing to help with brand recognition is to win.

“Science investigates; religion interprets. Science gives man knowledge, which is power; religion gives man wisdom, which is control. Science deals mainly with facts; religion deals mainly with values. The two are not rivals. They are complementary.”

Martin Luther King Jr.