Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 885
    Given: 624
    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 942
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 217
    Given: 0

re: NFL Lockout Update

Owners have the edge. Players have much more to lose. When they start not getting checks and then bills and what not start piling up, they'll give in

ABC - Always Be Closing

Speechless
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,345
    Given: 939

NFLPA decertifying is a clear sign that the players are going to take this to court (the union can't take the owners to court as long as it's certified). It's about the only leverage the players have at this point - they know that the owners can outlast the players by a long shot in a work stoppage, and the players know that the owners know that they know (which is why I found it ironic that the owners filed grievance against the NFLPA for not not cooperating when it's the owners that hold all the power and have no incentive to cooperate).

Anyway, the last thing the owners want is for this thing to go to court. The owners could go from being in a position to winning everything to quickly losing everything if the judges rule against them. By decertifying they are trying to some leverage back - worst case scenario they rule 100% in favor with the owners, who have all the power and weren't going to concede to the players anyway. Best case scenario (for them) is the judge rules against the owners and the union wins this. Likely scenario is, as I said, the union now has leverage against the owners and a "fair" deal can get done.

With the players taking this to court, I see football being played this year.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Addict
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 303
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 369
    Given: 97

I don't understand this thing.

The owners should just "sorry, this is the way it is. We pay you millions to play a game. A large percentage of you don't even have a college degree, good luck finding a job that is going to pay you even close to what we pay you."

Owners also invest hunreds of millions of there own dollars into these franchises and they should make a lot more than the players do. No different that some guy buying a factory and hiring a bunch of people to make his product, the owner is going to make more than the employees. If the employees get mad at demand more money, the employees are replaced.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by erikbj View Post

The owners should just "sorry, this is the way it is. We pay you millions to play a game. A large percentage of you don't even have a college degree, good luck finding a job that is going to pay you even close to what we pay you."

Owners also invest hunreds of millions of there own dollars into these franchises and they should make a lot more than the players do. No different that some guy buying a factory and hiring a bunch of people to make his product, the owner is going to make more than the employees. If the employees get mad at demand more money, the employees are replaced.
    You've made that clear.

Wear the fox hat.

Addict
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,868
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58
    Given: 69

Wonder if this will help the Big 12 at all in negotiations for the new TV contract?

If NFL is on strike, you'd think some networks would have some extra money to spend???

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,818
    Given: 171

Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    Wonder if this will help the Big 12 at all in negotiations for the new TV contract?

If NFL is on strike, you'd think some networks would have some extra money to spend???
    actually, as i understand it, the tv networks are still paying the nfl regardless of if the games are played

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 942
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 217

Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post

It couldn't hurt. If there's no NFL, college football will dominate the landscape. I think it's already better more entertaining product so I won't really miss the NFL as long as college FB is still around

ABC - Always Be Closing

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by erikbj View Post

How many of the owners personally risk life and limb (or, at least, quality of life and permanent damage to limbs) earning hundreds of million dollars per year from their franchises? Probably none of them.

Meanwhile, the owners would try to milk a few extra tens of millions of dollars from the players that DO risk quality of life and permanent damage to limbs because the owners don't want to fork over money to pay for permanent health insurance (especially post-retirement) among other things, and on top of that want to increase the regular season by two games, further risking devastating injury to their players.

Look, I'm normally on a neutral side of this - I think it's absolutely ridiculous that grown men can't figure out how to fairly distribute hundreds of millions to billions of dollars without complaints. Unfortunately that's the world we live in. That being said, I can understand the players' complaint about how a franchise will make hundreds of millions to billions of dollars in a year, but yet "can't afford" to permanently pay for health insurance for players after they retire, especially if those players sustained severe and permanent damage to their knees making those hundreds of millions of dollars for their owners. Not to mention the owners decided to prematurely end the existing CBA, albeit at a point where contractually they could do so.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Janny View Post
    actually, as i understand it, the tv networks are still paying the nfl regardless of if the games are played
    Wasn't part of the court ruling yesterday to axe that? The reason being it would give the owners unlimited leverage against the players in terms that they would always be making at least some amount of money while they can still refuse to pay the players?

Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Wasn't part of the court ruling yesterday to axe that? The reason being it would give the owners unlimited leverage against the players in terms that they would always be making at least some amount of money while they can still refuse to pay the players?
    The ruling didn't axe it. The judge ruled that the money will go into escrow until a new cba is ironed out. The networks will still pay, the league just won't have access to it until all this is over.

-Simon Belmont

-Master Shake

-Lorem Ipsum

Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Sounds like they've agreed to a 24 hour extension of the cba.

-Simon Belmont

-Master Shake

-Lorem Ipsum

Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

NFL.com news: League, players' union agree to 24-hour extension in labor talks

also, I'm changing the thread title, because it's not a strike, it's a lockout. There will be no strike.

-Simon Belmont

-Master Shake

-Lorem Ipsum