Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 19

I'd personally like to thank the University of Iowa...

...Men's Football team for providing a much needed diversion to the Cyclone Fanatic community. These latest EIU shenanigans should provide enough fodder to divert our attention away from the other divisive off-season threads, as we eagerly await the first kickoff of the Gene Chizik era.

P.S. Dear Gary Barta, Please see the link below for a (subject-appropriate) example of photo shopping...

Click here for a photo shopping example

This post copyright 2007 jbhtexas. All rights reserved. Anyone who quotes, retransmits, rebroadcasts or otherwise reuses this post without my express written permission must send me a finely-brewed hops and barley or wheat based beverage. Crappy rice-based beverages will not be accepted.

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Re: I'd personally like to thank the University of Iowa...

Again, as one who's had regular dealing with the university of iowa in the past several weeks - namely their financial aid and registrars office, I can honestly tell you that I'm not entirely sure they understand the true potential of computers. What they can do - or what they're used for at all.

"The files are IN the computer"

Speechless
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 37

I'm only going to post this once. I won't harp on it nor will I get into a mud-slinging contest with anyone over it.

It is unfortunate seeing so many Cyclone fans so excited as a result of this incident. We too, have had our own issues in Ames. One very recent (Taylor) and another that not only bit us once, but twice (Barryman). I guess the first response to that comment would be "well Hawk fans did this to us when it happened in Ames!". That's classy, maturity I'd expect to see from a 5th grader.

Keep in mind, not once did I say it was bad to discuss this. It will definitely impact their season and the ISU-Iowa game. Instead of a small chance to win the game, I'd give us a decent one (giving a slight edge to Iowa). I'm just disappointed this is a celebration..and it's not just happening here - I witnessed it first hand while at lunch today.

It's never a time for celebration when people steal from others. Almost as sad is the end of two athletic careers, both which could have been bright. They did do this to themselves, however.

This is an embarrassment, not just for those in Iowa City, but for the state too. Between Taylor and the two Hawkeye football players, neither program haven't exactly been practicing the quality moral values we boast about in Iowa.

What is even more odd, is all the finger-pointing at KF. I don't believe he played any part in what these young men did. Clearly KF is unhappy about it and once more light is shed on the situation, he'll deal with it appropriately. For those expecting him to give 'em a pass, we did give a player with theft on his record a 2nd chance not that long ago.

I am interested to see how Barta handles this. It's his first big challenge of this nature...2nd of his Iowa career (first being getting a hoops coach). I don't think he's close to the caliber of JP...so this one could get bumpy for them, especially if it's more wide spread.

Last edited by ISUFan22; 08-21-2007 at 01:47 PM.

Addict
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 956
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Great post 22. He who lives in a glass house shouldn't throw stones and if anyone that even has short-term memory here knows we haven't been squeeky clean in recent years either. These same folks that keep poking fun at this and don't let up better not be the first ones ripping on Hawk fans when our times comes because you know as it is with practically every program in the country, when you have that many athletes 1 is bound to screw up every now and then and the odds are we'll probably have 1 do just that in the future. I'm not completely innnocent about this myself but at some point enough is enough.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 937
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 29

Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    ...Men's Football team for providing a much needed diversion to the Cyclone Fanatic community. These latest EIU shenanigans should provide enough fodder to divert our attention away from the other divisive off-season threads, as we eagerly await the first kickoff of the Gene Chizik era.

P.S. Dear Gary Barta, Please see the link below for a (subject-appropriate) example of photo shopping...

Click here for a photo shopping example

This post copyright 2007 jbhtexas. All rights reserved. Anyone who quotes, retransmits, rebroadcasts or otherwise reuses this post without my express written permission must send me a finely-brewed hops and barley or wheat based beverage. Crappy rice-based beverages will not be accepted.

I want to personally thank you JB for bringing up this thread which gives us the unique opportunity to SHOVEL MORE DIRT ON THE SQUAWK FOOTBALL PROGRAM!!!

My shovel size of course is NOT a number 2, but more like the size of a large BACK HOE!!!!

GO CYCLONES..................KEEP SHOVELING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pro
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 936
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

It is unfortunate seeing so many Cyclone fans so excited as a result of this incident. We too, have had our own issues in Ames.
    While I agree with you, I would argue that they have earned this. If you are going to talk to me when I'm down, expect to get it back when you're down. Had they been classy and kept their mouths shut during our problems, they wouldn't be hearing it so loudly from us right now.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Wx4Cy View Post
    While I agree with you, I would argue that they have earned this. If you are going to talk to me when I'm down, expect to get it back when you're down. Had they been classy and kept their mouths shut during our problems, they wouldn't be hearing it so loudly from us right now.
    Amen. It is all in good fun anyway. Sometimes 22 reminds me of the times my mom yelled at me I a kid and jumping on the bed...

Speechless
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 274
    Given: 175

Yeah, but it's a vicious cycle. Had we not given them a hard time about Pierre Pierce (NO MEANS NO signs ring any bells - man that was fun), maybe they wouldn't have given us as much of a hard time with "$4 and a cell phone."

...aw, who am I kidding???

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    I'm only going to post this once. I won't harp on it nor will I get into a mud-slinging contest with anyone over it.

It is unfortunate seeing so many Cyclone fans so excited as a result of this incident. We too, have had our own issues in Ames. One very recent (Taylor) and another that not only bit us once, but twice (Barryman). I guess the first response to that comment would be "well Hawk fans did this to us when it happened in Ames!". That's classy, maturity I'd expect to see from a 5th grader.

Keep in mind, not once did I say it was bad to discuss this. It will definitely impact their season and the ISU-Iowa game. Instead of a small chance to win the game, I'd give us a decent one (giving a slight edge to Iowa). I'm just disappointed this is a celebration..and it's not just happening here - I witnessed it first hand while at lunch today.

It's never a time for celebration when people steal from others. Almost as sad is the end of two athletic careers, both which could have been bright. They did do this to themselves, however.

This is an embarrassment, not just for those in Iowa City, but for the state too. Between Taylor and the two Hawkeye football players, neither program haven't exactly been practicing the quality moral values we boast about in Iowa.

What is even more odd, is all the finger-pointing at KF. I don't believe he played any part in what these young men did. Clearly KF is unhappy about it and once more light is shed on the situation, he'll deal with it appropriately. For those expecting him to give 'em a pass, we did give a player with theft on his record a 2nd chance not that long ago.

I am interested to see how Barta handles this. It's his first big challenge of this nature...2nd of his Iowa career (first being getting a hoops coach). I don't think he's close to the caliber of JP...so this one could get bumpy for them, especially if it's more wide spread.
    You should be clear about your intent with this post. Are you posting this as a moderator, or as an ISU fan troubled by recent board activity.

'tiny little text etched into her neck it said "jesus lived and died for all your sins." she's got blue black ink and it's scratched into her lower back. it said: "damn right i'll rise again." yeah, damn right you'll rise again.'

Swarm & Punish
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 79

ISUFan22:

I understand your point and it is a good one.

My fun with this is that it can INSTANTLY put a UofI fan on the defensive, if not keep them quite (shut them up).

I feel for the young adults, from Berryman to DD. They will never forget the choices they made and the cost of those choices.

I only get a raise out of it when I can bring it up in sparring contests with the UofI fanbase... just as the JB case did me when they brought it up.

Heck, my best friend (who has, literally, saved my life and mine his) won't be off the radar for this mud sling when the opportunity arises.

While I try to keep it civil or tolerable, I will use it now and then... But this site is still different than any other fan site, especially ISU related, even with the attack mode we see this week ... I guess you could compare it to Football practice, there comes a time when playing against the same guys is enough.. you want a different team to fight... i see this site this way in August... we are ready to dissect the KSU game. Yet some are taking to far, too often against the same UofI fans.... no need to name names.. that is the mods jobs.

Good post though.

- keep.

The first and best victory is to conquer self; to be conquered by self is of all things most shameful and vile. - Plato

May you only need 39 acres to turn your rig around. - keep

Pro
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 606
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 6

We are rivals. It's part of the territory. Since when do rivals get together, hold hands and sing kum by ya?

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Yeah, but it's a vicious cycle. Had we not given them a hard time about Pierre Pierce (NO MEANS NO signs ring any bells - man that was fun), maybe they wouldn't have given us as much of a hard time with "$4 and a cell phone."
    Totally agree, which is why we need to make sure we don't cross that "class" line...let's stay on the "fun" side.

Starter
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 209
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

So because a small number of idiot Hawk fans talked smack when we had some issues with player misconduct, it makes it okay for us to do the same thing? Sorry, that's extremely poor logic. I'm not defending any Iowa fans who might have kicked us when we were down, but shouldn't we strive to be better than them? Travman mentioned glass houses in his post, and I think that's appropriate. We have plenty of our own dirty laundry (not only Mike Taylor and Jason Berryman, but also the infamous Sam Mack incident back in the late 1980s), and we look like hypocrites when we gloat at the misfortunes of other programs while ignoring our own past problems.

Sure, the Iowa players who are in trouble deserve criticism. If you have proof that the Iowa athletic department coddled them in spite of their misconduct, they deserve criticism. But gloating at Iowa because they are dealing with problems in their athletic department that we've dealt with in the past (and may very well deal with again at some point in the future) is immature and classless. Let's be better fans than that!

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Excellent point for the other side, which personally is where I'm trying to stay. I'm only saying that I can see why some would jump on this.

Swarm & Punish
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 79

Quote Originally Posted by BvK1126 View Post
    So because a small number of idiot Hawk fans talked smack when we had some issues with player misconduct, it makes it okay for us to do the same thing? Sorry, that's extremely poor logic. I'm not defending any Iowa fans who might have kicked us when we were down, but shouldn't we strive to be better than them? Travman mentioned glass houses in his post, and I think that's appropriate. We have plenty of our own dirty laundry (not only Mike Taylor and Jason Berryman, but also the infamous Sam Mack incident back in the late 1980s), and we look like hypocrites when we gloat at the misfortunes of other programs while ignoring our own past problems.

Sure, the Iowa players who are in trouble deserve criticism. If you have proof that the Iowa athletic department coddled them in spite of their misconduct, they deserve criticism. But gloating at Iowa because they are dealing with problems in their athletic department that we've dealt with in the past (and may very well deal with again at some point in the future) is immature and classless. Let's be better fans than that!
    yes... BUT this is up there with the SamMack 'incident'. This won't be going way.. not even 20+ years from now. The great thing about the SamMack smack, is we now have a 'one upper' in the DD/who was the other guy?? CC scam. Yes, i get the SamMack smack at least twice a year since it happened, until now, I had nothing of 'substance' to reply with.....

basically, I will continue to throw pebbles when needed and will enjoy the rivalry when it swings back our way.

-keep.

- keep.

The first and best victory is to conquer self; to be conquered by self is of all things most shameful and vile. - Plato

May you only need 39 acres to turn your rig around. - keep