Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 22

Re: Why is wrestling popular in the midwest?

Quote Originally Posted by Go2Guy View Post
    Another random question from a quasi-fan;
    Is there anyway to avoid the "Cauliflower" ear syndrome? I see a lot of players are using headsets nowadays, but still get the issue.
    LOL.

Walk On
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 229
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

The only bad thing about the sport has largely been cleared up in recent years and that is weight cutting issues, as back in the day for example my brother his freshman year probably weighed about 185-190, he cut down to 145, which was very unhealthy. Now days there are body fat tests that must be taken and there are limits on how much a kid can lose (weight wise). Other than that issue wrestling is a very tough sport because its just you out there and not a lot of people can hack that as you see a lot of kids quitting the sport early when things don't go there way. I personally will steer my kids boys and girls to this sport, i just love what the sport teaches you, discipline and mental toughness, and i love the one on one aspect, because in the end if you lose there is no blame as it is all in your hands. You see a lot of this in Iowa, like said above you see a lot of really tough farm kids who in general don't have a lot of athletic skill when it comes to the ball sports, but seem to excel in wrestling.

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 326
    Given: 21

Quote Originally Posted by isubeatle View Post
    I'm not a wrestling fan at all and so i'm totally clueless when it comes to the subject. It seems that it's really only popular in the Midwest and no where else. Did it organized wrestling originate in the Midwest somewhere?
    Sounds like someone needs to read a little book called Gotch: An American Hero by Mike Chapman.

Amazon.com: Gotch: An American Hero (9780967608006): Mike Chapman: Books

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Just watch Vision Quest

Pro
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 557
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 11

Waterloo, IA was huge on wrestling. East and West used to be ranked 1 and 2 every year in the nation...a long time ago.

Pro
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 169

Quote Originally Posted by Judoka View Post
    Yes, you can get it drained. I've gotten it at least 5 times but you can't tell because I drain it. Some guys just consider it a "mark of pride" type thing so choose not to.
    I don't know how you feel, but for me getting it drained was one of the worst pains I've ever felt. But just like you, can't tell I've ever had it.

Legend
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 460

Several reasons:

I think a big part of it's popularity is due to there being very little cost to participate. No pads or balls...

All you need is one other person to wrestle with so I think it takes hold in small towns that do not have loads of kids to field an 8 team football league.
    Small schools sometimes dont have enough kids who ar ebig enough to truly compete in football. But if they have a few guys for each weight class and a mat to practice on, they can have a wrestling team.
    There are a LOT of small towns in Iowa and the Midwest. Even in Pennsylvania, outside of the Pitt and Philly, there are a lot of rural areas in that state.

You can wrestle at almost any size. It is a great sport for kids who are considered "too small" for other sports. There are some might tough 112 lb kids out there and they all have a chance to participate against kids of their own size.

I never thought about it, but being an indoor sport inthe winter is deffinitely a plus. In the south and other warm weather areas they play football and baseball year round. We can't do that in Iowa and most of the midwest.

It is the ultimate individual sport. Your team and coach can be important for preparing you, but once you are out on the mat it is just you and your opponent. Let the toughest person win.

As far as the state tournament, it is grat because it doesn't matter what school you go to or how good your team is. You can be a champion all by yourself. In football or baseball, no one guy can win the championship by himself. In wrestling you can and that is awesome. Your only limits are how hard you want to work yourself.

I personally have a special love for the sport of wrestling. It very much made me the person I am today, and I wasn't even very good at it. I was well on my way to being an obese teen with self confidence issues and a poor outlook on life. I took a chance and joined the wrestling team, lost 45 lbs my first season and reinvented myself. The toughness and comraderie I learned just from surviing grueling wrestling practices gave me so much more than I imagined. I was never great at it. My team was horrible. But I owe a lot to the sport.

For those that don't get it, I understand. Unless you have put in the hard work and gone through it, it just looks like a couple dudes rolling around. I initially had my qualms about putting on a singlet and grapling out there. My advice is to keep an open mind. It is really the ultimate contact sport. One where you can really show how tough and strong you are.

Legend
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 213
    Given: 158

Quote Originally Posted by peteypie View Post
    I don't know how you feel, but for me getting it drained was one of the worst pains I've ever felt. But just like you, can't tell I've ever had it.
    Really? All they do is stick a syringe in your ear and suck out the fluid.. I've never even been asked if I wanted anesthetic, just a swab with an alcohol pad and they stick it in. Not the most comfotable experience in the world, but pretty low on the list of painful happenings.

Rookie
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 504
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

you get cauliflower ear because you don't wear your headgear and take a shot to the ear. If you wore your headgear every time you wrestled your chances of getting it are slim to none. But as one poster said the key is draining it right away before the fluid hardens into scar tissue.

dan k

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    I wrestled as a kid. I will be encouraging other sports.
    Do you have a specific reason though? I am curious now.

It really isn't for everyone so I can understand why some like it and some don't.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyhiphopp View Post
    Do you have a specific reason though? I am curious now.

It really isn't for everyone so I can understand why some like it and some don't.
    maybe he has girls

All-Star
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,387
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 33

Quote Originally Posted by cyhiphopp View Post
    Several reasons:

I think a big part of it's popularity is due to there being very little cost to participate. No pads or balls...

All you need is one other person to wrestle with so I think it takes hold in small towns that do not have loads of kids to field an 8 team football league.
    Small schools sometimes dont have enough kids who ar ebig enough to truly compete in football. But if they have a few guys for each weight class and a mat to practice on, they can have a wrestling team.
    There are a LOT of small towns in Iowa and the Midwest. Even in Pennsylvania, outside of the Pitt and Philly, there are a lot of rural areas in that state.

You can wrestle at almost any size. It is a great sport for kids who are considered "too small" for other sports. There are some might tough 112 lb kids out there and they all have a chance to participate against kids of their own size.

I never thought about it, but being an indoor sport inthe winter is deffinitely a plus. In the south and other warm weather areas they play football and baseball year round. We can't do that in Iowa and most of the midwest.

It is the ultimate individual sport. Your team and coach can be important for preparing you, but once you are out on the mat it is just you and your opponent. Let the toughest person win.

As far as the state tournament, it is grat because it doesn't matter what school you go to or how good your team is. You can be a champion all by yourself. In football or baseball, no one guy can win the championship by himself. In wrestling you can and that is awesome. Your only limits are how hard you want to work yourself.

I personally have a special love for the sport of wrestling. It very much made me the person I am today, and I wasn't even very good at it. I was well on my way to being an obese teen with self confidence issues and a poor outlook on life. I took a chance and joined the wrestling team, lost 45 lbs my first season and reinvented myself. The toughness and comraderie I learned just from surviing grueling wrestling practices gave me so much more than I imagined. I was never great at it. My team was horrible. But I owe a lot to the sport.

For those that don't get it, I understand. Unless you have put in the hard work and gone through it, it just looks like a couple dudes rolling around. I initially had my qualms about putting on a singlet and grapling out there. My advice is to keep an open mind. It is really the ultimate contact sport. One where you can really show how tough and strong you are.
    Great post.

All-Star
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,387
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 33

Quote Originally Posted by Judoka View Post
    Really? All they do is stick a syringe in your ear and suck out the fluid.. I've never even been asked if I wanted anesthetic, just a swab with an alcohol pad and they stick it in. Not the most comfotable experience in the world, but pretty low on the list of painful happenings.
    I remember when I had it really bad, I would take a syringe myself and drain it morning and night when I brushed my teeth. I still have some in there, but you can only feel it (can't see it).

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by 1100011CS View Post
    maybe he has girls
    See that I can understand.

I have two sons. They are almost 4 and almsot 2 respectively so its a ways off. However, my 2 year old, if he stays on the same growth chart will be good size to play football while my 4 year old will probably top out at 5'9 maybe and 150 lbs if he's lucky. For my eldest, wrestling might be a good contact sport for him to play if he's too small for football.

All-Star
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 807
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by clones11 View Post
    you get cauliflower ear because you don't wear your headgear and take a shot to the ear. If you wore your headgear every time you wrestled your chances of getting it are slim to none. But as one poster said the key is draining it right away before the fluid hardens into scar tissue.
    Exactly. Have you aver seen a water polo player with cauliflower ear?