Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 4

How about this idea to generate better marketability in NASCAR?

I was talking to a fellow NASCAR fan today and he had an interesting idea about Sharing Revenue.

His Words not mine, wish they were tho:

You want to know the problem with NASCAR? The promblem is Nascar. They have a decent product, but its packaged wrong. Why don't they do revenue sharing to assure that all teams profit? Why do they need a Series sponsor, NFL, NBA and MLB don't have one? I can't believe competing Cell providers aren't allowed in NASCAR. Last time I checked Comp was a good thing. It's simple, NASCAR doesn't want to lose control.

If you go to or watch a Big 3 event, theres no rock concert beforehand, except maybe the Superbowl. They sing the National Anthem and 5 minutes later they are playing. Nascar has a 2 hour pre pre race show on SPEED Channel, followed by an hour and 15 min pre race show on FOX or ESPN, then a 4 hour race and most of the time No post race show (at least one immediately following the race). Remember when NASCAR Victory Lane began on SPEED? That program would air about 30 min after the conclusion of the race, even Sat night Races. Now SPEED waits until 7 pm CST on Sunday evening, even if the race was on Sat!!!

The big 3 has a couple players and the coach of every team, win or lose, address the media after every game. NASCAR talks to the Winning Driver, Winning Crew Chief and Winning Owner, The other 4 drivers in top 5 and occasionally a couple of other drivers and crew chiefs. Certainly not every driver and Crew Chief. They need to stop acting like back wood rednecks, and run the program like professionals!

What do you guys think? I jokingly asked him how come he wasn't a billionaire CEO :) Seriously tho, NASCAR started as a media friendly and Sponsor friendly sport. It is growing away from these principles tho.

Last edited by CYcoFan; 02-23-2011 at 11:36 PM.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 298
    Given: 39

Re: How about this idea to generate better marketability in NASCAR?

Quote Originally Posted by CYcoFan View Post
    I was talking to a fellow NASCAR fan today and he had an interesting idea about Sharing Revenue.

You want to know the problem with NASCAR? The promblem is Nascar. They have a decent product, but its packaged wrong. Why don't they do revenue sharing to assure that all teams profit? Why do they need a Series sponsor, NFL, NBA and MLB don't have one? It's simple, NASCAR doesn't want to lose control.

If you go to or watch a Big 3 event, theres no rock concert, etc... They sing the National Anthem and 5 minutes later they are playing. Nascar has a 2 hour pre pre race show on SPEED Channel, followed by an hour and 15 min pre race show on FOX or ESPN, then a 4 hour race and most of the time No post race show (at least one immediately following the race). Remember when NASCAR Victory Lane began on SPEED? That program would air about 30 min after the conclusion of the race, even Sat night Races. Now SPEED waits until 7 pm CST on Sunday evening, even if the race was on Sat!!!

The big 3 has a couple players and the coach of every team, win or lose, address the media after every game. NASCAR talks to the Winning Driver, Winning Crew Chief and Winning Owner, The other 4 drivers in top 5 and occasionally a couple of other drivers and crew chiefs. Certainly not every driver and Crew Chief. They need to stop acting like back wood rednecks, and run the program like professionals!

What do you guys think? I jokingly asked him how come he wasn't a billionaire CEO :)
    NASCAR is a machine. It takes too many dollars to make it reasonable to have a few companies make it go. You need a sponsor for each team and they need to be big. That's why there are so few entities. Few people and sponsors have the money to make it go. Besides that, NASCAR has been very very successful.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    NASCAR is a machine. It takes too many dollars to make it reasonable to have a few companies make it go. You need a sponsor for each team and they need to be big. That's why there are so few entities. Few people and sponsors have the money to make it go. Besides that, NASCAR has been very very successful.
    Think about how much money NASCAR pockets tho. NASCAR doesn't pay the purse or track workers for an individual race. The Speedway and the Sponsor the Speedway gets for each race does. Each team does have its own sponsor already.

Sprint Pays to have their name associated and cuts the Championship Purse that is it. And they get to keep Verizon, US Cellular and AT&T out of a huge spectator sport.

Starter
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 570
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Quote de CYcoFan

You want to know the problem with NASCAR? The promblem is Nascar. They have a decent product, but its packaged wrong. Why don't they do revenue sharing to assure that all teams profit? Why do they need a Series sponsor, NFL, NBA and MLB don't have one? It's simple, NASCAR doesn't want to lose control.

If you go to or watch a Big 3 event, theres no rock concert, etc... They sing the National Anthem and 5 minutes later they are playing. Nascar has a 2 hour pre pre race show on SPEED Channel, followed by an hour and 15 min pre race show on FOX or ESPN, then a 4 hour race and most of the time No post race show (at least one immediately following the race). Remember when NASCAR Victory Lane began on SPEED? That program would air about 30 min after the conclusion of the race, even Sat night Races. Now SPEED waits until 7 pm CST on Sunday evening, even if the race was on Sat!!!

What do you guys think? I jokingly asked him how come he wasn't a billionaire CEO :)NASCAR is a machine. It takes too many dollars to make it reasonable to have a few companies make it go. You need a sponsor for each team and they need to be big. That's why there are so few entities. Few people and sponsors have the money to make it go. Besides that, NASCAR has been very very successful.

So few entries? They only allow 43 cars in each race and there are always more than that at qualifying.Also, don't blame NASCAR (or the other major sports for that matter) for the pre and post race shows; that is totally up to the networks that air them. To the op, while I think revenue sharing might help the competition, the other issues aren't that big of a deal. It is worth noting that NASCAR proper is actually a privately owned business - not owned by the team owners.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Think about how much money NASCAR pockets tho. NASCAR doesn't pay the purse or track workers for an individual race. The Speedway and the Sponsor the Speedway gets for each race does. Each team does have its own sponsor already.

Sprint Pays to have their name associated and cuts the Championship Purse that is it. And they get to keep Verizon, US Cellular and AT&T out of a huge spectator sport.
    How much does the NFL pocket? Do they pay for everything for games each week? No they don't.

On your second point-That's not true. The others could have paid more. They also could have sponsorship deals with cars. Sponsoring Dale Jr. or Tony Stewart or something is much more effective than sponsoring the Cup anyway.

Or so I have read.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by agcy68 View Post
    So few entries? They only allow 43 cars in each race and there are always more than that at qualifying.Also, don't blame NASCAR (or the other major sports for that matter) for the pre and post race shows; that is totally up to the networks that air them. To the op, while I think revenue sharing might help the competition, the other issues aren't that big of a deal. It is worth noting that NASCAR proper is actually a privately owned business - not owned by the team owners.
    43 entries isn't very many for an all inclusive event. Think of events like it where it's centralized. The PGA has around 150 guys in a normal event.

Or so I have read.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 127
    Given: 74

Every sport has pregame shows. That is all raceday is, it is better because the stars are oni it. NASCAR does have a sponser issue. They get a few that sponser the sport and in return other companies in the same field cannot sponser cars, which is a crock. I think the reason NASCAR is falling back is because it is too polished. It needs to go back to having the common type guy drive and not care what others thought. Now it is a sport of mainly spoiled brats, the young guys are the worses. They dont know how to work on a car, they didnt make their way through the ranks. They had a sponser and was given a ride because of it.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by kingcy View Post
    Every sport has pregame shows. That is all raceday is, it is better because the stars are oni it. NASCAR does have a sponser issue. They get a few that sponser the sport and in return other companies in the same field cannot sponser cars, which is a crock. I think the reason NASCAR is falling back is because it is too polished. It needs to go back to having the common type guy drive and not care what others thought. Now it is a sport of mainly spoiled brats, the young guys are the worses. They dont know how to work on a car, they didnt make their way through the ranks. They had a sponser and was given a ride because of it.
    I think a lot of those guys know more about the cars than they lead on. Besides that you have guys in garages who would be upper level engineers in another field. I mean those guys are ridiculously good at what they do.

Or so I have read.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 15

I can't believe we're 9 posts in and no one has asked why this was posted in the "pro sports" forum. Disappointing.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I think a lot of those guys know more about the cars than they lead on. Besides that you have guys in garages who would be upper level engineers in another field. I mean those guys are ridiculously good at what they do.
    True.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

How much does the NFL pocket? Do they pay for everything for games each week? No they don't.

On your second point-That's not true. The others could have paid more. They also could have sponsorship deals with cars. Sponsoring Dale Jr. or Tony Stewart or something is much more effective than sponsoring the Cup anyway.
    This week's race is the Subway Fressh fit 500 at Phoenix Int Raceway. Subway and International Speedway Corporation put up "almost" all the purse money. I say almost because take a look at last week's pay outs in Daytona 500 for example:

Paul Menard Finishes 9th and makes $327,913. Kevin Harvick finishes 42nd and makes $328,949. Brad Keselowski finishes 41st and makes $273,663.

This can't be right you say. No Harvick and his Sponsor Budweiser that pay him about $60,000 more per race regardless of finish. (I really have No prob with that because Harvick should be able to have his own contract) But revenue sharing could be reached in this way.

Teams have to have to Find their own sponsor to fund a race team.

Tracks have to work almost independently of NASCAR to Promote and Pay the drivers for a given race. NASCAR allows them to host a Sprint Cup race say.

In these 2 ways NASCAR is the same as the Big 3.

But Sprint and NASCAR get to eliminate Sponsors, This is where it differs and is wrong. The Bears aren't told they can't hang ad X at Soldier field or am I missing something. NASCAR doesn't have to pocket all the money and certainly doesn't have to eliminate Sponsors, hence sharing.

You realize that only Motorola radios are allowed on Pit Road. Only one Race fuel. Only One tire Supplier, etc.....

Last edited by CYcoFan; 02-24-2011 at 12:14 AM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 634
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 71
    Given: 14

They need to change nascar to something interesting.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

This week's race is the Subway Fressh fit 500 at Phoenix Int Raceway. Subway and International Speedway Corporation put up "almost" all the purse money. I say almost because take a look at last week's pay outs in Daytona 500 for example:

Paul Menard Finishes 9th and makes $327,913. Kevin Harvick finishes 42nd and makes $328,949. Brad Keselowski finishes 41st and makes $273,663.

This can't be right you say. No Harvick and his Sponsor Budweiser that pay him about $60,000 more per race regardless of finish. (I really have No prob with that because Harvick should be able to have his own contract) But revenue sharing could be reached in this way.

Tracks have to work almost independently of NASCAR to Promote and Pay the drivers for a given race. NASCAR allows them to host a Sprint Cup race say.

But Sprint and NASCAR get to eliminate Sponsors, This is where it differs and is wrong. The Bears are told they can't hang add X at Soldier field or am I missing something. NASCAR doesn't have to pocket all the money, hence sharing.
    Drivers are not solely responsible for sponsorship. If that were the case, Junior would still be driving the Budweiser Car. Sponsirships usually go with cars an not drivers but who is driving for the team certainly will influence how much is forked out.

Or so I have read.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Drivers are not solely responsible for sponsorship. If that were the case, Junior would still be driving the Budweiser Car. Sponsirships usually go with cars an not drivers but who is driving for the team certainly will influence how much is forked out.
    Sponsorship goes with Owner, but Drivers do have their own contract as I already proved.

Just like Pro Ath X that gets money from team and has an endorsement deal. I get it

Last edited by CYcoFan; 02-24-2011 at 12:18 AM.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

But Sprint and NASCAR get to eliminate Sponsors, This is where it differs and is wrong. The Bears are told they can't hang add X at Soldier field or am I missing something. NASCAR doesn't have to pocket all the money, hence sharing.

Sponsership money isnt incuded in purse money. Different drivers qualify for different awards at the end of races because of different things they do. Its sorta sponsership but not. Budwiser probly pays RCR $500,000 a race. The driver doesnt get the whole cut of his winning either, it denends on their contract.