Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25
  1. #1
    Pro
    Points: 33,888, Level: 56
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 362
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    scottie33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ames, Iowa
    Posts
    2,551
    Points
    33,888
    Level
    56
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 0

    New Rec Center Wood Floor

    The contractor that is putting in our maple gym wood flooring is heading to ISU after he finishes our two gyms. He is pretty stoked about the 35,000 square foot gym going in there. Currently, our gym is 19,000 square feet is huge and I could only imagine having 35,000 ft of gym space.

    Also, we got into talking about painting logos/lines etc. and I believe he said they just approved a change to put the last 6 logos of ISU as the center court logo on the 6 courts from back when to current. This would look bad *** but wanted to let you all know!



  2. #2
    Rookie
    Points: 8,827, Level: 28
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 523
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    drose1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    466
    Points
    8,827
    Level
    28
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

    Re: New Rec Center Wood Floor

    That sounds awesome! State gym is gonna be sweet after the renovation!



  3. #3
    Pro
    Points: 55,041, Level: 72
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 509
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    AlleyAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    2,608
    Points
    55,041
    Level
    72
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: New Rec Center Wood Floor

    do you know when its gonna be done?



  4. #4
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 7,979, Level: 26
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 171
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    255
    Points
    7,979
    Level
    26
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: New Rec Center Wood Floor

    Is this for Beyer/State gym area renovation? I just graduated last Spring so I'm not up to date with all the campus news, but I'm excited to check out the finished product in the future. Those different logos will be awesome! Did Lied end up getting new field turf and indoor track after the flooding?



  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 437,722, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,904
    Points
    437,722
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 177
    Given: 25

    Re: New Rec Center Wood Floor

    Quote Originally Posted by HardcoreClone View Post
    Is this for Beyer/State gym area renovation? I just graduated last Spring so I'm not up to date with all the campus news, but I'm excited to check out the finished product in the future. Those different logos will be awesome! Did Lied end up getting new field turf and indoor track after the flooding?
    State Gym. And you'll have to pull some strings unless you're an ISU employee/student to get in. Only entrance point will be State Gym and ISU ID will be required.

    And yes, the new field turf just got finished a couple weeks ago, and the track gets repaired this summer.

    And it opens in August.



  6. #6
    All-Star
    Points: 34,659, Level: 57
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 791
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    driegner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    1,134
    Points
    34,659
    Level
    57
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 3

    Re: New Rec Center Wood Floor

    Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    State Gym. And you'll have to pull some strings unless you're an ISU employee/student to get in. Only entrance point will be State Gym and ISU ID will be required.

    And yes, the new field turf just got finished a couple weeks ago, and the track gets repaired this summer.

    And it opens in August.
    I've never been a fan of this policy at Lied. I have visitors come and they can't ball with us. I think you should be able to swipe in a few guests each semester.



  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 437,722, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,904
    Points
    437,722
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 177
    Given: 25

    Re: New Rec Center Wood Floor

    Quote Originally Posted by driegner View Post
    I've never been a fan of this policy at Lied. I have visitors come and they can't ball with us. I think you should be able to swipe in a few guests each semester.
    I'd let 'em in....for $10/visit. No different than trying to go to the YMCA when I'm home (although the ladies at the front desk are normally nice enough to let us in for $5).



  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 118,421, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Tornado man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    7,875
    Points
    118,421
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 132

    Re: New Rec Center Wood Floor

    Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    State Gym. And you'll have to pull some strings unless you're an ISU employee/student to get in. Only entrance point will be State Gym and ISU ID will be required.
    Or any members of the ISU Alumni Association. Same as Lied now.



  9. #9
    Pro
    Points: 38,789, Level: 60
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 261
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    cycfan1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    2,940
    Points
    38,789
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 4

    Re: New Rec Center Wood Floor

    Quote Originally Posted by driegner View Post
    I've never been a fan of this policy at Lied. I have visitors come and they can't ball with us. I think you should be able to swipe in a few guests each semester.
    Can if they pay. Why should your friends be able to play basketball on courts that are financed by ISU students.



  10. #10
    Prospect
    Points: 3,289, Level: 16
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 161
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    35
    Points
    3,289
    Level
    16
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: New Rec Center Wood Floor

    The only issue with the new rec center renovations is the $120 per semester ($1000 over 4 years) increase in student fees that funded them. At a time when the state and university is looking at why students at ISU graduate with so much debt, they add an addition grand in expenses over an undergraduate degree.



  11. #11
    Speechless
    Points: 437,722, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,904
    Points
    437,722
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 177
    Given: 25

    Re: New Rec Center Wood Floor

    Quote Originally Posted by isucyclone05 View Post
    The only issue with the new rec center renovations is the $120 per semester ($1000 over 4 years) increase in student fees that funded them. At a time when the state and university is looking at why students at ISU graduate with so much debt, they add an addition grand in expenses over an undergraduate degree.
    Students voted for this.

    And frankly, in some ways it was needed. There isn't enough space on campus for people to work out. The basketball courts are packed at night. The pool facility in Beyer is total crap. State Gym was a total crap hole and needed the work.



  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 38,789, Level: 60
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 261
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    cycfan1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    2,940
    Points
    38,789
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 4

    Re: New Rec Center Wood Floor

    Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    Students voted for this.

    And frankly, in some ways it was needed. There isn't enough space on campus for people to work out. The basketball courts are packed at night. The pool facility in Beyer is total crap. State Gym was a total crap hole and needed the work.
    Isn't it unfair that students that voted for it are not going to be the ones paying for it?

    Thought the whole voting process that year was a little sketchy.



  13. #13
    Speechless
    Points: 256,335, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Cydkar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    15,704
    Points
    256,335
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 580
    Given: 508

    Re: New Rec Center Wood Floor

    I played so many games at State in my day. The floor was always like an ice rink.



  14. #14
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 5,077, Level: 21
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 473
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    228
    Points
    5,077
    Level
    21
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: New Rec Center Wood Floor

    Quote Originally Posted by cycfan1 View Post
    Isn't it unfair that students that voted for it are not going to be the ones paying for it?

    Thought the whole voting process that year was a little sketchy.
    Actually most of the students that voted for it are paying an increased fee based on the new rec. They did not feel that it was appropriate to charge the full amount when it wasn't open yet.

    The other thing is that the problem of overcrowding at lied would still happen from year to year if this new rec wasn't built. The students voted for it because of this very reason. You ever been to lied during the day. Most of the time it is so packed you have to wait to get on a machine or be cramped while running on the track. And really if you want play some basketball you have to wait until really late at night to get a court.

    At the time it was a good thing to vote in because most of these big tuition increases weren't planned on happening, so the modest increase in student fees wouldn't have been noticed as much.



  15. #15
    Pro
    Points: 38,789, Level: 60
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 261
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    cycfan1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    2,940
    Points
    38,789
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 4

    Re: New Rec Center Wood Floor

    Quote Originally Posted by agardini View Post
    Actually most of the students that voted for it are paying an increased fee based on the new rec. They did not feel that it was appropriate to charge the full amount when it wasn't open yet.

    The other thing is that the problem of overcrowding at lied would still happen from year to year if this new rec wasn't built. The students voted for it because of this very reason. You ever been to lied during the day. Most of the time it is so packed you have to wait to get on a machine or be cramped while running on the track. And really if you want play some basketball you have to wait until really late at night to get a court.

    At the time it was a good thing to vote in because most of these big tuition increases weren't planned on happening, so the modest increase in student fees wouldn't have been noticed as much.
    Yeah, but I think currently we are only paying for air conditioning at Lied. I think that there needed to be something done, but not at this time and not at that cost. $50 million for what? A handful of basketball courts. Should be able to get something bigger than Lied for that price IMO.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FS1
  • Iowa State @ Oklahoma State
  • October 4, 2014
  • 11:00 AM