Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30
  1. #1
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 94,177, Level: 95
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 873
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,144
    Points
    94,177
    Level
    95
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    UConn Football picked fifth in Big East

    Here is an early look at one preseason prediction for Iowa State opponent UConn. Thought some might be interested.

    #5 in Big East: Connecticut

    Optimistic View: New head coach Paul Pasqualoni is bringing 39 years of coaching experience with him to the UConn program. The Huskies are coming off of their first BCS appearance in school history and that momentum should carry over into this season. The defense was the stronger side of the ball for UConn last season and they have nine starters returning in 2011, including the entire defensive line and secondary. The Huskies were tied for 8th in the country with 20 passes intercepted in 2010, with Blidi Wreh-Wilson and Jerome Junior intercepting four passes apiece. The passing game has nowhere to go but up. Cody Endres and Michael Box will be engaged in a healthy competition to replace Zach Frazer as the starting quarterback. The running back position is still up in the air, but there are plenty of viable candidates. D.J. Shoemate is a USC transfer who saw a lot of carries early last season and he might be the favorite to replace Jordan Todman, who left school early to enter the 2011 NFL Draft.
    Pessimistic View: Pasqualoni has a lot of experience, but he has been out of the college game since 2004. Randy Edsall helped guide an impressive transformation of the Huskie football program and his leadership will be missed. Todman was the Big East Offensive Player of the Year last season and his departure leaves a hole in the UConn ground attack. The quarterback position is inexperienced and the receivers have encountered problems getting open against opposing defenses. Lawrence Wilson was in the top 25 in the country in total tackles in 2010 and it will be difficult to replace his production on defense.



  2. #2
    Rookie
    Points: 13,086, Level: 34
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 264
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    484
    Points
    13,086
    Level
    34
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: UConn Football picked fifth in Big East

    I think we beat UCONN next fall. Yes, they will have a strong defense that is a little concerning when looking at our youth at qb and rb, but I think we are better than UCONN in just about every other phase of the game. I really don't even care about having Iowa the week before. If we beat Iowa, we'll have a ton of confidence. If we lose to Iowa, we'll be a po'd team looking to get after it.



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 96,267, Level: 96
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 783
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    huntt26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    po' dUnk
    Posts
    7,393
    Points
    96,267
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 3

    Re: UConn Football picked fifth in Big East

    If we want to make a bowl, we need to win this game. It's going to be real tough to find 6 winnable games if we don't beat UCONN.



  4. #4
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 78,095, Level: 86
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 255
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    twojman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Clive
    Posts
    4,388
    Points
    78,095
    Level
    86
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 3

    Re: UConn Football picked fifth in Big East

    I do not like that defense is their strongsuit. The ISU offense struggles against 1-AA schools. Help us Steele Jantz, you're our only hope.





  5. #5
    Prospect
    Points: 5,766, Level: 22
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 284
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    73
    Points
    5,766
    Level
    22
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: UConn Football picked fifth in Big East

    I can't see ISU beating UConn or going to a bowl. Seems pretty easy to figure this out. New and unproven QB says it all.



  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 126,336, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    tim_redd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    7,297
    Points
    126,336
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 24

    Re: UConn Football picked fifth in Big East

    I heard Bo is seeking a transfer and waiver to play there next year...



  7. #7
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 94,177, Level: 95
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 873
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,144
    Points
    94,177
    Level
    95
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: UConn Football picked fifth in Big East

    Quote Originally Posted by tim_redd View Post
    I heard Bo is seeking a transfer and waiver to play there next year...
    Don't think that's gonna happen. I still think North Texas would be a good fit for Bo with DMac.



  8. #8
    Legend
    Points: 311,727, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cyhiphopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Johnston
    Posts
    13,680
    Points
    311,727
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 177
    Given: 375

    Re: UConn Football picked fifth in Big East

    Quote Originally Posted by twojman View Post
    I do not like that defense is their strongsuit. The ISU offense struggles against 1-AA schools. Help us Steele Jantz, you're our only hope.


    I'm not so sure about their defense being that great next year. Last year they had a stud running back to pound away with and control the clock. That makes it a lot easier on the defense. This year they will have a new QB and RB so the offensive continuity they lose will have a downstream effect on the defense. I also am not underestimating the loss of Edsall. That was HIS team and I don't think anyone else is going to get it done as well. I think their offense is sure to take a step back and I think the D will too.



  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 91,552, Level: 94
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,598
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Frak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Dow City, IA
    Posts
    5,389
    Points
    91,552
    Level
    94
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 2

    Re: UConn Football picked fifth in Big East

    Quote Originally Posted by cyhiphopp View Post
    I'm not so sure about their defense being that great next year. Last year they had a stud running back to pound away with and control the clock. That makes it a lot easier on the defense. This year they will have a new QB and RB so the offensive continuity they lose will have a downstream effect on the defense. I also am not underestimating the loss of Edsall. That was HIS team and I don't think anyone else is going to get it done as well. I think their offense is sure to take a step back and I think the D will too.
    The other thing is, how many good offenses ARE there in the Big East? I can't think of too many. West Virginia is usually decent, but they are pretty one-dimensional most years. USF, Cincy, Louisville, Rutgers, Syracuse? None of those offenses are scary compared to what ISU plays most weeks.



  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 352,746, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    18,485
    Points
    352,746
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 9

    Re: UConn Football picked fifth in Big East

    Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    The other thing is, how many good offenses ARE there in the Big East? I can't think of too many. West Virginia is usually decent, but they are pretty one-dimensional most years. USF, Cincy, Louisville, Rutgers, Syracuse? None of those offenses are scary compared to what ISU plays most weeks.
    This will sound ridiculous but I honesty think that outside of WVU, we will have the most talent of any offense that UCONN will face next year. I am considering SJ, our Oline and receivers in that mix.

    This game is vital in terms of making a bowl. If we don't win this one I don't see us in a bowl game. That's not because we simply lost the game, it's because I don't think we will be good enough if we aren't good enough to beat them.


    I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

    Or so I have read.

  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 54,492, Level: 72
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,058
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    intrepid27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    2,461
    Points
    54,492
    Level
    72
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 17

    Re: UConn Football picked fifth in Big East

    I heard they are going to strap trash cans on their recievers since their QB can hit a wide open trash can from any distance.



  12. #12
    Starter
    Points: 24,388, Level: 47
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 162
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    853
    Points
    24,388
    Level
    47
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: UConn Football picked fifth in Big East

    Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    This will sound ridiculous but I honesty think that outside of WVU, we will have the most talent of any offense that UCONN will face next year. I am considering SJ, our Oline and receivers in that mix.

    This game is vital in terms of making a bowl. If we don't win this one I don't see us in a bowl game. That's not because we simply lost the game, it's because I don't think we will be good enough if we aren't good enough to beat them.
    You're right that does sound ridiculous. Pitt is more talented than us, if they had a decent coach they probably would have won the big east 2 of the last 3 years, but Wannabestedt is a perennially mediocre coach. Also 'Cuse won't be bad either, they return a good QB in Nassib and their top two WRs and 4 of their top 6 Oline. Their D will have quite a few faces though. USF and Lousiville probably field better teams than us as well.

    Not that this is a definitive ranking, but in terms of recruiting classes, here's where ISU would have landed if we had been in the Big East the last 6 years (average stars, per rivals):

    2011
    Louisville 3.15
    Rutgers 2.96
    West Virginia 2.95
    Cincinnati 2.92
    South Florida 2.86
    Pittsburgh 2.70
    Iowa State 2.65
    Connecticut 2.50
    Syracuse 2.46

    2010
    West Virginia 3.15
    Pittsburgh 3.13
    Louisville 2.86
    South Florida 2.85
    Rutgers 2.75
    Iowa State 2.71
    Cincinnati 2.55
    Connecticut 2.45
    Syracuse 2.38

    2009
    West Virginia 3.08
    Rutgers 3.00
    South Florida 3.00
    Pittsburgh 2.95
    Iowa State 2.52
    Cincinnati 2.48
    Louisville 2.31
    Syracuse 2.29
    Connecticut 2.24

    2008
    Pittsburgh 3.16
    Rutgers 2.65
    Louisville 2.59
    Syracuse 2.54
    West Virginia 2.52
    South Florida 2.46
    Iowa State 2.33
    Cincinnati 2.25
    Connecticut 2.14

    2007
    Louisville 3.06
    Pittsburgh 3.04
    West Virginia 2.96
    Rutgers 2.83
    Syracuse 2.56
    South Florida 2.48
    Iowa State 2.44
    Cincinnati 2.26
    Connecticut 2.24

    2006
    Pittsburgh 3.08
    Louisville 2.92
    West Virginia 2.63
    Rutgers 2.54
    Iowa State 2.50
    Syracuse 2.42
    South Florida 2.36
    Connecticut 2.18
    Cincinnati 1.95



  13. #13
    Speechless
    Points: 352,746, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    18,485
    Points
    352,746
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 9

    Re: UConn Football picked fifth in Big East

    Quote Originally Posted by synapticwave View Post
    You're right that does sound ridiculous. Pitt is more talented than us, if they had a decent coach they probably would have won the big east 2 of the last 3 years, but Wannabestedt is a perennially mediocre coach. Also 'Cuse won't be bad either, they return a good QB in Nassib and their top two WRs and 4 of their top 6 Oline. Their D will have quite a few faces though. USF and Lousiville probably field better teams than us as well.

    Not that this is a definitive ranking, but in terms of recruiting classes, here's where ISU would have landed if we had been in the Big East the last 6 years (average stars, per rivals):

    2011
    Louisville 3.15
    Rutgers 2.96
    West Virginia 2.95
    Cincinnati 2.92
    South Florida 2.86
    Pittsburgh 2.70
    Iowa State 2.65
    Connecticut 2.50
    Syracuse 2.46

    2010
    West Virginia 3.15
    Pittsburgh 3.13
    Louisville 2.86
    South Florida 2.85
    Rutgers 2.75
    Iowa State 2.71
    Cincinnati 2.55
    Connecticut 2.45
    Syracuse 2.38

    2009
    West Virginia 3.08
    Rutgers 3.00
    South Florida 3.00
    Pittsburgh 2.95
    Iowa State 2.52
    Cincinnati 2.48
    Louisville 2.31
    Syracuse 2.29
    Connecticut 2.24

    2008
    Pittsburgh 3.16
    Rutgers 2.65
    Louisville 2.59
    Syracuse 2.54
    West Virginia 2.52
    South Florida 2.46
    Iowa State 2.33
    Cincinnati 2.25
    Connecticut 2.14

    2007
    Louisville 3.06
    Pittsburgh 3.04
    West Virginia 2.96
    Rutgers 2.83
    Syracuse 2.56
    South Florida 2.48
    Iowa State 2.44
    Cincinnati 2.26
    Connecticut 2.24

    2006
    Pittsburgh 3.08
    Louisville 2.92
    West Virginia 2.63
    Rutgers 2.54
    Iowa State 2.50
    Syracuse 2.42
    South Florida 2.36
    Connecticut 2.18
    Cincinnati 1.95
    If you look by position, Shontrelle, IMO is probably as good as any RB in that league. Next season, I feel our Oline, as a unit is as good as any in that league. When you have those two thing you can run the ball. When you can run the ball you can win. Who's the best QB in that league? There isn't a great. I realize we have no clue what we will have at QB, but the spread isn't going to be that mcuh between that leagues best and our guy. Ouside of WVU, I don't know if any other team really has athletes on the outside that are all that scary. The offense in that league is bad. Even WVU was bad last year and the only reason that will change is because Holgerson will go in there and make them good. The talent is most certainly there. We can't say as much for the other teams. Besides that, if you look at those rankings and consider the fact that we have been somewhat competitive in the Big 12 for the previous two years with recruiting ranking always at the bottom one must come to the conclusion we would stand much higher in the Big East. When you look at those rankings, that's not that big of difference from the top to us. It's not like their classes are averaging 3.5 stars. There is a much small difference from 2.5-3 than 3-3.5. If I had to pick it I would pick ISU to finish no worse than third in that league. I happen to believe they may have won it last year. If we have a somewhat talented QB and some improvement at WR, I think we are as talented as any other team save WVU and perhaps Pitt.


    I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

    Or so I have read.

  14. #14
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 41,333, Level: 62
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 317
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    heitclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Malvern, IA
    Posts
    4,356
    Points
    41,333
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 77

    Re: UConn Football picked fifth in Big East

    Quote Originally Posted by cyhiphopp View Post
    I'm not so sure about their defense being that great next year. Last year they had a stud running back to pound away with and control the clock. That makes it a lot easier on the defense. This year they will have a new QB and RB so the offensive continuity they lose will have a downstream effect on the defense. I also am not underestimating the loss of Edsall. That was HIS team and I don't think anyone else is going to get it done as well. I think their offense is sure to take a step back and I think the D will too.
    I think you touched on what I think will be the most important aspect of the UCONN game and thats ball control. Their defense didn't look too impressive against teams that were able to shorten their possesions. I like this as our third game, hopefully the new faces on offense will be hitting stride after the Iowa game.



  15. #15
    Starter
    Points: 10,912, Level: 31
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 338
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    804
    Points
    10,912
    Level
    31
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: UConn Football picked fifth in Big East

    FYI, Rutgers class of 2011 was rated the 32nd best in the country; their top running back, Savon Huggins, was rated #7 at his position in the country. True, we do not play them, only Conn, but perhaps best not to overlook that conference, IMHO



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM