Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 66,471, Level: 80
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,579
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Rogue52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    5,800
    Points
    66,471
    Level
    80
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 2

    WWE Taking a Page Out of WCW's Playbook

    As someone who loved WCW in the '96 - '98 time frame when its cast was full of a bunch of old-timers, the WWE is back in the same exact spot and I'm not sure what to think.

    It was cool to see HHH interrupt the Undertaker, but watching those two in the ring staring each other down? I don't know... At least seeing the Rock back is actually somewhat believable.

    Making Randy Orton a face really screwed things up. I know Orton was getting all the cheers anyway, but his whole personality doesn't work as a face IMO. Just give me him punting peoples' faces in. Having the Rock put Cena in his place is enjoyable though.

    There really needs to be a new player in the game to bring back the Monday Night Wars.



  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 52,343, Level: 70
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 207
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Tank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Niceville, FL
    Posts
    2,279
    Points
    52,343
    Level
    70
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 12

    Re: WWE Taking a Page Out of WCW's Playbook

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue52 View Post
    As someone who loved WCW in the '96 - '98 time frame when its cast was full of a bunch of old-timers, the WWE is back in the same exact spot and I'm not sure what to think.

    It was cool to see HHH interrupt the Undertaker, but watching those two in the ring staring each other down? I don't know... At least seeing the Rock back is actually somewhat believable.

    Making Randy Orton a face really screwed things up. I know Orton was getting all the cheers anyway, but his whole personality doesn't work as a face IMO. Just give me him punting peoples' faces in. Having the Rock put Cena in his place is enjoyable though.

    There really needs to be a new player in the game to bring back the Monday Night Wars.

    WWE is real wrestling!!!!



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 69,522, Level: 81
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 228
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Northwest Arkansas
    Posts
    5,329
    Points
    69,522
    Level
    81
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 84

    Re: WWE Taking a Page Out of WCW's Playbook

    Triple H has at least stayed pretty active over the past several years minus when he was out for "injury", and Undertaker hasn't been completely out, but man, that dude is getting too old for this. Rik Flair was old but he would still take the bumps and keep coming back for more, not sure Taker will do that or not.

    Raw really has been missing top-tier talent, they have some good young performers, but mike skills are lacking amongst the new guys. Miz has good skills (which is probably why he is champ) but many of the other ones make me cringe for hit the FF button. Rock showed last week how to cut a promo, and Cena's last night was pretty solid as well.



  4. #4
    Legend
    Points: 209,684, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    MNCyGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    10,596
    Points
    209,684
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 418
    Given: 293

    Re: WWE Taking a Page Out of WCW's Playbook

    I don't watch much these days, other than flipping channels on Monday nights, but I saw the other day that Smackdown was on SyFy now. Maybe when you can't get any network but SyFy to pick up your 2nd show it's a sign that your product no longer justifies 4 hours of television a week.


    Last edited by MNCyGuy; 02-22-2011 at 08:25 AM.

  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 479,738, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    32,126
    Points
    479,738
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 728
    Given: 484

    Re: WWE Taking a Page Out of WCW's Playbook

    Quote Originally Posted by nj829 View Post
    Triple H has at least stayed pretty active over the past several years minus when he was out for "injury", and Undertaker hasn't been completely out, but man, that dude is getting too old for this. Rik Flair was old but he would still take the bumps and keep coming back for more, not sure Taker will do that or not.

    Raw really has been missing top-tier talent, they have some good young performers, but mike skills are lacking amongst the new guys. Miz has good skills (which is probably why he is champ) but many of the other ones make me cringe for hit the FF button. Rock showed last week how to cut a promo, and Cena's last night was pretty solid as well.
    Rock: "Shane, your role - know it. HHH, your mouth - shut it. Vince, your mama's anus - lick it. Stephanie, your dirty panties - sniff it."

    Best pro wrestling promo line ever.


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.



  6. #6
    Pro
    Points: 36,605, Level: 58
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    drmwevr08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    3,446
    Points
    36,605
    Level
    58
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 5

    Re: WWE Taking a Page Out of WCW's Playbook

    It still flips me out that a kid I watched on the Real World is the WWE champ.

    One thing that I find pretty sad is how long some of these guys have to hang one, either to make money or stay in the spotlight. No way a 50 year old should be abusing his body in the WWE or anywhere else. Hell, past 40 you are pushing it if you wanna live to see 60-70. And for every one who gets to hang around in the WWE there are those doing it in small promotions for next to nothing. The movie the Wrestler may as well get shown to all the newbies!


    Nothing to see here mods. Keep moving.

  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 398,526, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 65.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    58,778
    Points
    398,526
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 349

    Re: WWE Taking a Page Out of WCW's Playbook

    Quote Originally Posted by drmwevr08 View Post
    It still flips me out that a kid I watched on the Real World is the WWE champ.

    One thing that I find pretty sad is how long some of these guys have to hang one, either to make money or stay in the spotlight. No way a 50 year old should be abusing his body in the WWE or anywhere else. Hell, past 40 you are pushing it if you wanna live to see 60-70. And for every one who gets to hang around in the WWE there are those doing it in small promotions for next to nothing. The movie the Wrestler may as well get shown to all the newbies!
    How old are some of these studs?

    Having Hulk come back for money was also a surprise.


    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 164,510, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran
    CtownCyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    8,742
    Points
    164,510
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101
    Given: 86

    Re: WWE Taking a Page Out of WCW's Playbook

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    How old are some of these studs?

    Having Hulk come back for money was also a surprise.
    Did you ever watch "Hogan Knows Best"? That guy spends money like it's water. Plus, with his kid wrecking his car and severely injuring his friend and divorcing his wife, you know he doesn't have much left in the coffers.



  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 66,423, Level: 79
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 27
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Rural's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,830
    Points
    66,423
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 217
    Given: 142

    Re: WWE Taking a Page Out of WCW's Playbook

    The week before was the return of The Rock. Generated the first excitement in a long time.

    Last night, back to featuring mostly Cena and back to being putrid beyond belief.

    I will say that Alberto Del Rio is one of the best new guys they've ever introduced.



  10. #10
    Starter
    Points: 13,268, Level: 34
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    mac4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    820
    Points
    13,268
    Level
    34
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 39

    Re: WWE Taking a Page Out of WCW's Playbook

    I was a die hard WWF fan back in the late 90s. I never missed a RAW on Monday night and even went to Summer Slam one year. The new guys just don't know how to act on stage. When WWF had The Rock, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Kane, etc. that was entertainment. I might just have to YouTube some old school WWF today.
    "Know your roll and shut your mouth."


    "Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you."
    -Satchel Paige

  11. #11
    Speechless
    Points: 465,055, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 61.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneRulzzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Nevada, IA
    Posts
    19,458
    Points
    465,055
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 991
    Given: 2,564

    Re: WWE Taking a Page Out of WCW's Playbook

    Got home from women's game to watch raw on DVR. They had being running a promo with 2-21-11, and I thought it was going to be Sting coming to WWE and there are rumors he has signed with WWE. Instead it the Undertaker returning. From what I've heard it will be Undertaker vs Triple H at wrestlemania with the stipulation being Undertaker's Streak vs Triple H's career and WWE isn't going to have Undertaker lose. So Triple H will be done at Wrestlemania.


    Quote Originally Posted by cyowan View Post

    Rulzzz 3:16 says I just liked your post!

  12. #12
    Starter
    Points: 17,273, Level: 40
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 777
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    CloneFan03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Urbandale, IA
    Posts
    709
    Points
    17,273
    Level
    40
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 4

    Re: WWE Taking a Page Out of WCW's Playbook

    Quote Originally Posted by CyclonesRulzzz View Post
    Got home from women's game to watch raw on DVR. They had being running a promo with 2-21-11, and I thought it was going to be Sting coming to WWE and there are rumors he has signed with WWE. Instead it the Undertaker returning. From what I've heard it will be Undertaker vs Triple H at wrestlemania with the stipulation being Undertaker's Streak vs Triple H's career and WWE isn't going to have Undertaker lose. So Triple H will be done at Wrestlemania.
    Wow....that sounds like a great story line! I'm surprised they haven't done that before! Glad they are keeping everything new and exciting still.



  13. #13
    Pro
    Points: 36,605, Level: 58
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    drmwevr08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    3,446
    Points
    36,605
    Level
    58
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 5

    Re: WWE Taking a Page Out of WCW's Playbook

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    How old are some of these studs?

    Having Hulk come back for money was also a surprise.
    Flair, who is apparenly still involved, is 61.
    Sting, mentioned as a possible new WWE'r is 51.
    Triple H is 41.

    Jerry Lawler, who is apparently in the ring again lately as well (?) is also 61.

    There are a bunch of old WCW guys still hanging on that are somewhere in that range too.


    Nothing to see here mods. Keep moving.

  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 66,423, Level: 79
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 27
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Rural's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,830
    Points
    66,423
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 217
    Given: 142

    Re: WWE Taking a Page Out of WCW's Playbook

    Triple H has been mostly unseen for the last year.

    A lot of that had to do with staying away from "sports entertainment" while Mommie-In-Law ran through millions running for a senate seat.

    So, Triple H is the same as retired already. I'm having a hard time imagining a swerve that can make it a big deal to wrestle Undertaker in a retirement match.



  15. #15
    All-Star
    Points: 41,017, Level: 62
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 633
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    tec71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, Iowa
    Posts
    1,189
    Points
    41,017
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 7

    Re: WWE Taking a Page Out of WCW's Playbook

    I refuse to participate in this discussion until CW weighs in on this topic and specifically the Rock's return.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FOX
  • Iowa State vs. Baylor
  • September 27, 2014
  • 07:20 PM