Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 4

Trip to Chicago???

So planning on taking the family to Chicago this summer. It's been a while since I've done more than just go there for a game. What all do you guys recommend we do and where do you recommend we stay that puts us in a good location that makes everything easily accessible. We will be going to a Cubs game one day and probably the Shedd Aquarium and Navy Pier. Any and all suggestions welcome (child friendly that is)!

Pro
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 878
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 217
    Given: 304

Re: Trip to Chicago???

When our nieces and nephews visit the Shedd is always a big hit. Lincoln Park Zoo is a lot of fun and there is plenty to see and do there. There is a Children's museum also, although I have not been. Get online and you can get deals on admission for the museums.

We always enjoy the Boat Tours, and navy Pier with the kids, even though I avoid it like the plague otherwise. You can head to the Beach as there are plenty, but I would avoid North Avenue as it is a Meat Market and probably not the best for kids. Some also get pretty seedy. We go up to Montrose Dog Beach and it is very family friendly and there is plenty of room, and the next door beach that is for people only.

There are really no Hotels on the Northside I would recommend so Downtown is probably your best bet. If you are going to a Cubbies game you just take the Redline up right to Wrigley and honestly can get to almost anywhere by the Red and a walk. There are busses that will get you to the museum so look at CTA on-line and you should get around pretty easy.

“Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun.”
    Alan Wilson Watts

All-Star
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 25

Quote Originally Posted by clone4lyfe View Post
    So planning on taking the family to Chicago this summer. It's been a while since I've done more than just go there for a game. What all do you guys recommend we do and where do you recommend we stay that puts us in a good location that makes everything easily accessible. We will be going to a Cubs game one day and probably the Shedd Aquarium and Navy Pier. Any and all suggestions welcome (child friendly that is)!
    Boo to that. Anyway I would highly suggest the Field museum while you're near the aquarium. I actually found the aquarium to be fairly poor but your children should enjoy it. The Willis Tower (formerly Sears) is close and your kids might enjoy the view from the sky deck. Make sure to check out the buckingham fountain in grant park, it's pretty neat.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 349

Go to the Willis Tower.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Rookie
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 761
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

The Hancock Observatory has a far better view than the Sears Tower Skydeck, FYI.

I also would suggest the Field Museum, as long as kids are old enough to appreciate it. The Shedd is a great idea. I hate Navy Pier, but kids will likely find it cool, and there's a Children's Museum there. The Lincoln Park Zoo is great. The Boat Tour was a good suggestion, but some of them can get lengthy for small children. I've also heard about O'Leary's Fire Truck tours, but you might need to book a party or something along those lines.

Here's a website with some ideas and info: ChicagoKids.com Family Destinations - Best Places to Go with Kids in Chicago.