Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Scotty vs Allen & Babb to start next year

Help me out. Nearly every post about next year's team shows Scotty not starting and usually Babb & Allen both starting. Often this is stated as a given. I am a big Scotty fan! I probably saw Babb & Allen play, but have no recollection of either. So, looking at the stats that are available, plus my own bias, it seems to me Scotty has a very good shot at starting, even if he does not improve. (I'm confident he will continue to improve.) Here are the figures:

Scotty: 35.2 min/gm; Shooting - 132-300 44% 3-pt-75-166 45.2% FT-29-36 80.6%; 3.1 rb/gm; 57 asst/41 TO; 18 steals; 14.2 pt/gm; 40 consecutive games with a 3-pt made.
    Allen 2009/10 @Mich St - Started 27 games and averaged 8.2 points to help the Spartans reach their second consecutive Final Four...led the team in 3-pointers made with 53, connecting on 39.8 percent of his shots from downtown...averaged 2.8 rebounds and was third on the team in assists with 73...scored a career-high 22 points vs. Valparaiso and had 21 points vs. Purdue...had 15 double-digit scoring efforts...tallied six games with four 3-pointers...ended his Michigan State career with the 10th-most 3-pointers made in Spartan history with 141.
    Babb 2009/10 @PS - averaging 9.3 points and 3.2 rebounds...was third on the team in assists (69) and steals (22)...made the second-most 3-pointers on the team, hitting 69-of-185 (37.3 percent) from beyond the arc...led the team at the free-throw line, making 81.6 percent of his foul shots (40-49 FT)...finished strong, making 48.8 percent from 3-point range (21-43 3FG) in his last seven games...had nine games with four or more treys...averaged 10.2 points while starting all 18 Big Ten games...posted a career-high 20 points in an 81-70 win at Northwestern.

Scotty continues to score 5-6 points higher than either Allen or Babb did. He is targeted by the opposing coach every game and has someone chasing him throughout. He gets little rest, so he may not have fresh legs, yet is hitting a higher % of his 3s while shooting more this year than the other 2 did combined. He should end the year with @as many assists as Allen had. His defense is faulted. There aren't many stats, but he should end the year with as many, if not more, steals than Babb had last year. (BTW we already have 4 players with 22+ steals so far this year. 22 for the year is not an impressive indicator of defensive skill.)

My bottom line is, I like his chances of starting. He's tough, a hell of a competitor and a terrific 3-point shooter. Babb and/or Allen may end up starting over Scotty, but it's certainly not a given, unless one's playing point. If they do, that's a good thing. It will show we have improved our talent greatly over this year, since we really have no one competing for playing time with Scotty this year.

Pro
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,203
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 2

Re: Scotty vs Allen & Babb to start next year

I think we'll scorewith any number of lineups. How they play D will determine who starts. I look at it this way Scottie off the bench would give us the kind of 6th man that few programs have.

Let Me Mayor Coach!

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 462
    Given: 215

Allen will start. Fact. Scotty and babb I don't know didn't lutz say that allen was the best guard he had ever coached or something like that?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 19

Allen shouldn't be in this conversation because 110% he starts.

I happen to think SC starts and if he doesn't I see Ejim filling that spot. I think Babb comes off the bench and so does Booker.

TM
    CA
    SC/ME
    RW
    CG

There are probably about 10 different options though.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,627
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 139
    Given: 14

Allen will start. I would bet that Scotty will start as well. That's nothing against Babb, but Scott has more experience right now. I would suspect that the number of minutes per game will be pretty close between the two of them.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

Doesn't matter. The important thing is that we'll have OPTIONS...imagine that.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 150
    Given: 14

Scotty vs Allen & Babb to start next year

Just because Scotty doesn't start doesn't mean he won't play starter minutes. I just happen to think Babb starts because he's a much bigger guard.

All-Star
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 674
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

If both Scotty and Babb are pretty much equal, give the start to Scotty. Babb has 2-3 years to play at Iowa State, so he will get his chance.

Addict
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 133

Just win baby!

Pro
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 49
    Given: 1

Scotty or Ejim or Babb. Don't know who starts but all 3 will play. Its a problem but sounds like a good problem.

Pro
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 823
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 18

Scott is averaging more points a game but you also need to look at minutes played because Michigan St. and Penn St. both probably had a 8-10 player rotation (although I may be wrong). I would see scott and babb splitting time. We're gonna have a major guard rotation next year. Plus with CG and Royce down low we will get much better looks and I would think many more with some better offensive rebounding.

KCCO

Follow me on Twitter: @datBASS3
    Follow Iowa State Drumline on Twitter: @ISUDrumline or on FB

Walk On
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 240
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cy4prez7 View Post
    Scott is averaging more points a game but you also need to look at minutes played because Michigan St. and Penn St. both probably had a 8-10 player rotation (although I may be wrong). I would see scott and babb splitting time. We're gonna have a major guard rotation next year. Plus with CG and Royce down low we will get much better looks and I would think many more with some better offensive rebounding.
    Goodness. We'll be 9 deep, legit. Mix and match all you want....but we'll have:
    - Frontcourt: Royce, Booker, Edge, Calvin, Railey
    - Backcourt: McGee, Scotty, Babb, Allen

Think of the things we'll be able to do next year vs. this year. Press, run, aggressive defense w/o the fear of foul trouble leading to us playing an emergency swimmer-turned-bball walkon having to take the court.

I think it will be less about WHO STARTS and more about how we can spread the minutes around, go all-out, and go with the hot hand(s).

Add to that the culture Freddy's creating....the big and little things....there's no quit in the kids this year despite the situation, discipline even if its your best 2 players being late for a meeting....

Exciting, really.

Wonder if we'll redshirt anyone....McKnight (will he be around?), Bubu? Anyone else?

Prospect
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 289
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

I still think we play a 3 gaurd lineup next year. Allen will start and I thought SC would be a starter because of his 3 point shooting ability and hes improved as a scorer all around. If he continues to improve then that 3 point shooting would be huge on next years team when theres more options and possibly teams having to double team someone on our team. But I dont know what Babbs is really like or if Ejim could start over him in a bigger lineup next year with a SF. But SC is typically the type of player you want coming off the bench and hitting some 3s to give you some bench productions but hes proven himself as a starter to so I dont know what will happen. Any way you look at it with the tallent on our bench next year we will spread out the minutes way more than this year. I could see bench guys coming in and seeing more minutes than starters depending on whos playing better that game so I dont know that the starting lineup matters.

Pro
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 823
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 18

Quote Originally Posted by Cydog04 View Post
    I still think we play a 3 gaurd lineup next year. Allen will start and I thought SC would be a starter because of his 3 point shooting ability and hes improved as a scorer all around. If he continues to improve then that 3 point shooting would be huge on next years team when theres more options and possibly teams having to double team someone on our team. But I dont know what Babbs is really like or if Ejim could start over him in a bigger lineup next year with a SF. But SC is typically the type of player you want coming off the bench and hitting some 3s to give you some bench productions but hes proven himself as a starter to so I dont know what will happen. Any way you look at it with the tallent on our bench next year we will spread out the minutes way more than this year. I could see bench guys coming in and seeing more minutes than starters depending on whos playing better that game so I dont know that the starting lineup matters.
    Ejim is only one inch taller than Babb. I don't think that'll change the size too much. I do see Ejim playing more of a 3 than a 4 though.

KCCO

Follow me on Twitter: @datBASS3
    Follow Iowa State Drumline on Twitter: @ISUDrumline or on FB

Pro
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 725
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Like a few others have said, I don't think it matters who starts between any number of players. Why? All of them will see significant playing time and will all be important in the team being successful next year. In reality, we could start a dozen different line-ups if we wanted too and that in itself is the concept to be excited about!!