Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Thumbs down Dennis Dodd

NCAA Football - CBS SportsLine.com

A "piece" of his article...

• Dan McCarney. Leavitt is tickled about his new defensive line coach. McCarney led Iowa State for 12 seasons. More impressive: McCarney lasted 12 seasons at Iowa State. No school in I-A has gone as long without winning a conference title -- 96 years. That's back to the Cyclones' 1911 Missouri Valley co-championship.

Back to Mac. Somehow in those dozen years he was able to 1) win nine games in 2000; 2) almost beat Florida State in 2002; and 3) get the Cyclones within a missed field goal of the Big 12 North title in both 2004 and 2005. McCarney was fired after last season but here's the thing: That's as good as it gets at Iowa State, folks.

McCarney can sit on his deck every night with a cigar and a drink and thank God he got out of Ames with his career intact.

MY EMAIL RESPONSE TO HIM>

"That's as good as it gets at Iowa State, folks." You're right Dennis, we should not expect to ever be in a position to go to a Big XII title game, go to a "big" bowl game, or ever win the Conference. I love McCarney, he is a great guy and brought Iowa State back from the dead, but it was time for a change and chance for someone to build on what he has done. But I guess we are just Iowa State, we shouldn't expect anything better... except reporting from losers like you.

Last edited by VII_Fe; 08-20-2007 at 03:19 PM.
    When I told the folks back home I was going to Auchtermuchty, they said "Wear the Fox Hat"

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 44

Re: Dennis Dodd

I like the email you sent to this loser... What an idoit....

GDMCC Member follow us on twitter @dmcyclub

Addict
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,319
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 43

That's as good as it gets at Iowa State, folks
    I just hate that logic. People say it, yet they can't give a reason why they think that. If 10 win seasons can occur in Manhattan, Kansas, they can sure the hell happen here.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,335
    Given: 935

The more I read losers like Dodd the more I want Chizik to win the North this year. I get it's not likely going to happen, but what more to put it back in their face with a "look what Chizik was able to do with McCarney's talent." Of course, then they'd probably proclaim, "Well, if you had given him one more year..." You never can convince these idiots that they're wrong... or idiots.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Addict
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 157
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 9

What's the point in bringing up Dan McCarney in a USF preview? Sometimes, I feel like Dodd does this to fill up his lonely little e-mail box from time to time.

Go Sssssssssyclones!

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Funny thing is, we probably wouldn't have need to be only a FG away from the north crown if Mac & Co hadn't routinely wizzed down their legs when it came to crunch time. I think all of us can sit here and recall several (if not more) occassions where we just sat in the stands shaking our heads wondering what the hell he was thinking.

I liked Mac as well, he gave us alot. But he was not a good game day coach. Neither were many of HIS subordinates. And to pretend that his futility was solely due to being at ISU is just proposterous.

Case in point - thanks for Marty Fine. That coaching hire alone probably cost Mac his job as well as a couple seasons.

What the hell does CBS have against ISU?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,335
    Given: 935

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    What the hell does CBS have against ISU?
    We weren't supposed to win their mascot challenge. That was reserved for Michigan St and we had to go ruin it for them

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Legend
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 34

Somebody needs to keep track of all the writers and pundits that keep saying that Dan McCarney was as good as ISU can do... That way when Chiz leads us to the promised land we can rub it in their faces!

All-Star
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 819
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

I am just going to forgo the customary "getting to know you" phase and just start hating this guy now.

Why do some media outlets hate Iowa State? Where does this animosity come from?

Addict
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,594
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 8

No offense folks but that IS as good as it has been at ISU. Yes we want more, I won't argue there but some of you find every way you can to bash Dan and say he wasn't a good coach and such, stack up his accomplishments to any of ISU's previous coaches and it is indeed as good as it has been at ISU. Hopefully Chizik can take that next step and prove one day that 7 or 8 win seasons is not all ISU can ever accomplish.

I don't think that was such a terrible article. Dan landed on his feet and he'll probably get another head coach job again I'm sure.

Starter
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 3

What a refreshing article. It must be fall again. I guess we should all be really excited for this year because of our huge success last year that we're building off of. I mean 4 wins, how in the heck did we do that? It must have been a school record or something. We're lucky if we win 1 game a year, and you can forget about that being a conference win. Wait no, we're not supposed to be excited about anything. Afterall, we're just Iowa State. Why expect anything more than horrible?

This Dodd guy is a tool. Good thing he's writing professionally, he fits in.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,284
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 79
    Given: 79

Travman you are wrong. How old are you? The history of ISU football doesn't being with Jim Walden. My intent isn't to turn this into another football coaching thread, but Majors and Bruce were certainly a lot better.

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

I think what people are saying is that his article reaks of "it can't be any better at ISU" Not that it hasn't, that it never WILL BE.

Not that DMac took us to highs we've never been too, but rather that we don't deserve or will ever be able to get any better.

"McCarney can sit on his deck every night with a cigar and a drink and thank God he got out of Ames with his career intact" is the telling sentence.

Walk On
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 64
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by travman23 View Post
    No offense folks but that IS as good as it has been at ISU. Yes we want more, I won't argue there but some of you find every way you can to bash Dan and say he wasn't a good coach and such, stack up his accomplishments to any of ISU's previous coaches and it is indeed as good as it has been at ISU. Hopefully Chizik can take that next step and prove one day that 7 or 8 win seasons is not all ISU can ever accomplish.

I don't think that was such a terrible article. Dan landed on his feet and he'll probably get another head coach job again I'm sure.
    I call ********. You have to stack up his accomplishment BECAUSE of, not against, the previous coaches at Iowa State. I didn't try to "bash" McCarney. In fact I pointed out how much I like him as a person.

We would have been in a bowl game every year in the late 70's early 80's if they had 30+ bowl games a year then like they do now. So you can't play that card.

If you need to look for reasons to be optomistic look no further than Wake Forest and Rutgers last season, or Northwestern in the mid to late 90's. We can win at Iowa State. We can get to a "big" bowl. We can win a Conference Championship. And we DO NOT have to put up with losers like Dodd pointing out we can't.

Last edited by VII_Fe; 08-20-2007 at 04:33 PM.
    When I told the folks back home I was going to Auchtermuchty, they said "Wear the Fox Hat"

Addict
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 136

Quote Originally Posted by VII_Fe View Post
    We would have been in a bowl game every year in the late 70's early 80's if they had 30+ bowl games a year then like they do now. So you can't play that card.

We would have lost one (1972; 5-5-1), gained one (1976; 8-3), and been borderline for one (1980; 6-5).