Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 199
    Given: 200

Grill Recommendations?

What do you guys grill with?
    I've had a cheap-o charbroil for the last 8 years that was a wedding gift. I was reading about it online and they say its designed for a year or 2 of occasional use. I've used it at least twice a week when the weather is OK for way longer than that and its time for a new one.
    Heading out later today but wondering what kind of features you guys like or think is a waste on your grills.
    I was at Menards and it looks like I can do pretty well on a gas grill (not trying to turn this into a gas/coal debate) and get one for under $200 but I'm looking for some input.

Exaggeration is a BILLION times worse than understating.

All-Star
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 258
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 52

Re: Grill Recommendations?

Weber has a charcoal grill that has propane assist. Get the benefits of not using lighter fluid and a quick easy start. I am on my second one. Around 320 bucks.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 397
    Given: 191

Best advice I ever got came from my father-in-law...buy a Weber. If you can afford it:

Amazon.com: Weber 6521001 Genesis E-320 Liquid Propane Gas Grill, Black: Home & Garden

He's had his (Weber different model) for 10 years. Rock solid. Replaced the burner for the first time last year and the grates about 3 years ago. Don't buy the Spirit models because they have cheaper metal, rivets not welded, and assembled in China.

The link is what I bought last year. Awesome!

Rookie
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 42
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 1

I've got a Weber Summit S-470. It's awesome. No regrets. I bought it here...
    Weber 7170001 Summit S-470 Stainless Steel Grill

Pro
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,389
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 99
    Given: 25

A grill is a grill unless it's being purchased as an extension of your manhood. If you're already big enough "down there", go cheap. A $200 grill that lasts three years is the same as a $750 grill that last ten years. Except you get a brand new grill every three years. I go cheap and wear 'em out, grill 3-4 times a week spring, summer and fall.

Rookie
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 29

I have had a Weber Genesis for 10 years and think that it is okay. The burner is shot and I was looking at replacing it. I have had to replace the flavor bars several times (about $50 each time). I have also had to replace the grate several times too (about $50 each time as well). I use my several times a week, and in the summer almost every night. Instead of replacing everything again, I am going to buy a Holland for about $600. My friends have use them and love them as they don't flare up. The only bad part is they are a little slow to heat up and you can only cook on one temperature. The good news is that they have a lifetime guarantee on the burner and the grate, and they are cleaner, tougher, and more versatile than a Weber (in my opinion) as you can fill the drip pan with juices (it has a valve) and smoke with it. Good luck!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 801
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 0

I've had several gas grill, went back to a weber with charcoal. A good one is 50-60 bucks, they don't flame up and it takes about 15-20 minutes for the charcoal to get hot. Good beer drinking time. Gas grills end up on fire, the starters quit working and they get full of grease. No so with a weber charcoal. I know some love their gas, I love my charcoal. Personal preference (and investment) If you go gas, don't buy a cheap one, they are junk.

Addict
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 318
    Given: 137

I got an infra-red grill as a wedding present. I'm not a grilling expert, but I am a steak lover and the steaks that come off this grill are 2nd to none. Definitely worth looking into.

This is the grill I have:

Char-broil Quantum

Last edited by temperflare; 02-19-2011 at 05:46 PM.
    "The difference between keeping what you have all to yourself and coveting what someone else has lies within your willingness to give versus your desire to take"

- temperflare

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 0

Holland grill!

Uses all in-direct heat so no flare ups whatsoever. You can smoke, steam, or grill.

Cooked ribs for new years and just added couple gallons of apple juice to the pan in the grill and used that for keeping tender! Cook by time and not doneness, they say if you're looking you aint cooking

Addict
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 113

Quote Originally Posted by scottie33 View Post
    Holland grill!

Uses all in-direct heat so no flare ups whatsoever. You can smoke, steam, or grill.

Cooked ribs for new years and just added couple gallons of apple juice to the pan in the grill and used that for keeping tender! Cook by time and not doneness, they say if you're looking you aint cooking
    This. My parents have one of these. Takes a little longer to cook your steak, but it is goooooood when it comes off. Makes me jealous.

For personal preference, I have a Weber Smokey Joe that I've had since college and a Weber Road Trip grill. I prefer the taste of charcoal grilled meat, but I don't always have time to wait for the charcoal to burn down.

Addict
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 964
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 357
    Given: 1,404

We have a nice charcoal Aussie grill. use it all the time

Are you a member?

All-Star
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 855
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by wartknight View Post
    What do you guys grill with?
    I've had a cheap-o charbroil for the last 8 years that was a wedding gift. I was reading about it online and they say its designed for a year or 2 of occasional use. I've used it at least twice a week when the weather is OK for way longer than that and its time for a new one.
    Heading out later today but wondering what kind of features you guys like or think is a waste on your grills.
    I was at Menards and it looks like I can do pretty well on a gas grill (not trying to turn this into a gas/coal debate) and get one for under $200 but I'm looking for some input.
    If I was to get a grill, it would be a Big Green Egg, a ceramic smoker/grill. It is, in fact, said to be the best smoker around. And it uses charcoal, but the temperature can be adjusted as low as 200 degrees with dampers. The only problem with the egg is cost. It's $500-plus just for the egg. If you want a stand to set it on, it's $100-plus more. If you want a table to fold out from the grill on either side, it's an extra $50 for each side. If you want some of the accessories -- smoker rack, different grill surfaces, etc. -- it's extra. You could spend $1,000 on the thing. But you'd have a GREAT grill that doubles as a smoker.

As an alternative, I looked at a Holland Grill that can also be used as a smoker. It's a stainless steel grill and is much cheaper than the egg. They make mostly gas grills, but I was looking at the one charcoal grill they make and would have bought it, except it didn't have a thermometer in the lid, something I would consider vital to smoking. The dealer told me I could have one put it in it by myself, but I was reluctant to do that. The charcoal model is around $300, maybe a little more. It gets very good reviews.

Starter
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 649
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 26

Got a 4 burner stainless steel Grillmaster from Lowes last spring. We grill at least 3-4 times a week . I spent about $200 on it already assembled. Love the fact you can control the temp by the number of burners you have on or were you put your food on the grill. Went out a few days ago and all burners fired on the first light. Took a wire brush to the flavor bars and grate, bottom of the grill slides out to clean along with grease pan. Steaks were on the grill 15 minutes after I pulled the cover off and cleaned it. Good price, easy to clean, dependable, and great grilled food!!

Addict
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,880
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 150
    Given: 69

Quote Originally Posted by Bipolarcy View Post
    If I was to get a grill, it would be a Big Green Egg, a ceramic smoker/grill. It is, in fact, said to be the best smoker around. And it uses charcoal, but the temperature can be adjusted as low as 200 degrees with dampers. The only problem with the egg is cost. It's $500-plus just for the egg. If you want a stand to set it on, it's $100-plus more. If you want a table to fold out from the grill on either side, it's an extra $50 for each side. If you want some of the accessories -- smoker rack, different grill surfaces, etc. -- it's extra. You could spend $1,000 on the thing. But you'd have a GREAT grill that doubles as a smoker.

As an alternative, I looked at a Holland Grill that can also be used as a smoker. It's a stainless steel grill and is much cheaper than the egg. They make mostly gas grills, but I was looking at the one charcoal grill they make and would have bought it, except it didn't have a thermometer in the lid, something I would consider vital to smoking. The dealer told me I could have one put it in it by myself, but I was reluctant to do that. The charcoal model is around $300, maybe a little more. It gets very good reviews.
    Agree on the Big Green Egg. Those things are awesome. I use it for everything from burgers to ribs to pizza (brick oven style). For most cooking (300-400 degrees) I add charcoal, light a starter brick and walk away. 15 minutes later it's up to temp. You can smoke things like ribs and pork butt at 200 or sear steaks at 600. Best thing is, it is ceramic and there's no burner, so it won't rust. The few parts that could go bad are easily replaceable. Yeah, it's expensive, but you're not going out and buying a new grill every three years either.

Disagree with the "extension of manhood" comment...at least as far as the BGE goes. It's not all that impressive looking. It kind of makes a hobby out of grilling and most people wouldn't be impressed just looking at it. Kind of has a cult following...check out www.eggheadforum.com.

Recruit
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 290
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 2

I had a weber for 15 years and didn't have any issues but lacked flavor. I bought a Traeger 3 years ago and it was the best purchase I ever made. No flare ups. You cook with wood pellets. You can smoke with it to. Just set the digital selectar for any temperature you want and it will put in the right amount of pellets to hold selected temp. Many different wood pellets to choose from. Food just tastes better when cooked on a traeger.