Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Considering the Air Force

So i talked to a recruiter the other day on the (meeting him in person on Tuesday) and I'd considered going in as an officer but he said they were planning on letting a bunch go here soon. (my assumption is that he just wants me to enlist to help his numbers)

I talked to my wifes uncle who is a Lt. Col and he said that I should try anyway and try to find an officer recruiter in the area (couldnt find any so any help would be nice).

I then talked to the live chat people on the airforce website to try and get some help with finding a recruiter and both of them said that I had to have a 3.0 to become an officer even though the guy i talked to on the phone said my 2.7ish was fine. 1 of the live chat guys had said I could enter as an E-3 (advanced or something like that) and try and become an officer that way.

Is any of this info from the recruiters true (I believe my wifes uncle) or are they just ************ me and trying to get me to enlist

Pro
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 937
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 2

Re: Considering the Air Force

The obviously want you to just enlist. Makes him look good. My best friend went into Pararescue school after high school in the AF and said it was unbelievably hard. Needless to say...he came back home.

R.I.P "Gibbons" 4/3/2012
    R.I.P RollsRoyce 4/12/2012

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 141
    Given: 68

Don't general enlist. You want to start as an officer.

Ex. Cousin general enlisted. Four years later my brother went in through officer's training (couple weeks) before medical school and was instantly higher rank than my cousin. Both Air Force.

Pro
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 787
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

ya ive looked at the pararescue school but thats something you do as a career and id like to become a pilot

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by isuaggie View Post
    Don't general enlist. You want to start as an officer.

Ex. Cousin general enlisted. Four years later my brother went in through officer's training (couple weeks) before medical school and was instantly higher rank than my cousin. Both Air Force.
    thats what im hoping to do. i was just wondering if things like the 3.0 rule apply or if you can still become an officer with less than a 3.0 since ive heard both sides of the story

Pro
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 382
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyeh8r View Post
    So i talked to a recruiter the other day on the (meeting him in person on Tuesday) and I'd considered going in as an officer but he said they were planning on letting a bunch go here soon. (my assumption is that he just wants me to enlist to help his numbers)

I talked to my wifes uncle who is a Lt. Col and he said that I should try anyway and try to find an officer recruiter in the area (couldnt find any so any help would be nice).

I then talked to the live chat people on the airforce website to try and get some help with finding a recruiter and both of them said that I had to have a 3.0 to become an officer even though the guy i talked to on the phone said my 2.7ish was fine. 1 of the live chat guys had said I could enter as an E-3 (advanced or something like that) and try and become an officer that way.

Is any of this info from the recruiters true (I believe my wifes uncle) or are they just ************ me and trying to get me to enlist
    The thing about them letting people go is true. I have a close friend who is on a base down in Alabama, and he's hoping to make 1st Lt before they let him go.

Green hills for thy throne, and for crown a golden melody/Ringing in the hearts of all who bring thee love and loyalty/Dear Alma Mater, make our spirits great
    True and valiant like the bells of I-O-WA STATE!

And thank you Stumpy for this:

Rookie
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 419
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 30

My twin brother went through the AF ROTC at ISU and became an officer. He is now a special agent for Office of Special Investigations in the AF. He posts on here every once in a while. I am sure he would be willing to give you some advice. Let me know if you want me to put him in touch with you.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyflier View Post
    My twin brother went through the AF ROTC at ISU and became an officer. He is now a special agent for Office of Special Investigations in the AF. He posts on here every once in a while. I am sure he would be willing to give you some advice. Let me know if you want me to put him in touch with you.
    ill talk with the recruiter and see what he says and get back to you. i'm talking to my wifes uncle too after I get done so it may be good to hear from 2 people that arent recruiters

Starter
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 630
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

General question... Can you join the military as an officer with your 4 degree without doing ROTC during all of college?

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone711 View Post
    General question... Can you join the military as an officer with your 4 degree without doing ROTC during all of college?
    ya theres a test and stuff you have to do. the recruiter said you would need to get 5 character references from high up people (senators, officers in the military, etc..) to be able to have a chance. thats for the air force so I assume it would be the same for the other branches as well.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 298
    Given: 254

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyeh8r View Post
    ill talk with the recruiter and see what he says and get back to you. i'm talking to my wifes uncle too after I get done so it may be good to hear from 2 people that arent recruiters
    He's going to try to get you to enlist because he has a quota to meet. If you can be an officer, you want to be an officer. Don't sign anything until you've spoken with an officer recruiter.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

any idea where i can find a link to an officer recruiter. i've looked online and everything keeps taking my back to the same recruiter link on the air force website

All-Star
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 7

My suggestion is that you take your wife's uncle with you to see the recruiter. The recruiter is not on the level with you. At least run everything the recruiter tells you by the uncle and tell the recruiter that you plan to do so. My son is a major in the Air Force. He enlisted after he graduated from ISU because the job market was not kind to him. He served five years as an enlisted man working his way up to staff sargeant before finally gaining admission to officer training school. The difference in income and opportunities makes the effort to become an officer well worthwhile.

You will have to go through officers training school yourself. You probably will never face a more difficult challenge physically, intellectually, or emotionally.

Last edited by iowa_wildcat; 02-19-2011 at 06:37 AM.

Rookie
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 501
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I am an Air Force pilot currently in Kabul, Afghanistan. The recruiter is full of it, don't listen to him, his career at this point is solely contigent on meeting recruiting quotas. It is also true that the Air Force is about to make some cuts in its officer corps, but in overmanned areas. New 2nd Lts are always needed even if the force is drawing down. You want to inquire on Officer Training School (OTS).

Go to Welcome to Officer Training School Homepage and click on the how to apply link. It will list selection criteria. I have no idea if you are competitive, but you are not likely to be competitive for pilot training with a 2.7. You should still try as you never know. You also should know that you must have uncorrected 20/20 vision. You always have a second chance to apply for UPT (pilot training) later after you're commissioned. You could also talk to the ROTC detachment on campus as I would think they would be more helpful than a recruiter. Hope this helps and good luck.

Last edited by flycy; 02-19-2011 at 07:02 AM.

Prospect
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 362
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by flycy View Post
    I am an Air Force pilot currently in Kabul, Afghanistan. The recruiter is full of it, don't listen to him, his career at this point is solely contigent on meeting recruiting quotas. It is also true that the Air Force is about to make some cuts in its officer corps, but in overmanned areas. New 2nd Lts are always needed even if the force is drawing down. You want to inquire on Officer Training School (OTS).

Go to Welcome to Officer Training School Homepage and click on the how to apply link. It will list selection criteria. I have no idea if you are competitive, but you are not likely to be competitive for pilot training with a 2.7. You should still try as you never know. You also should know that you must have uncorrected 20/20 vision. You always have a second chance to apply for UPT (pilot training) later after you're commissioned. You could also talk to the ROTC detachment on campus as I would think they would be more helpful than a recruiter. Hope this helps and good luck.
    God Bless you Flycy...We appreciate your service.